What's new

Early track\kick transmission questions

350TacoZilla

Member Number
Loc
MD
Was going to put this in newb section but figured its kinda tracker specific question so might get more hits here. I have a weird ass project idea in my head and need to go from a 1.0L 3cyl to a RWD layout transmission. First thought went straight to samurai since they are small,light,fairly common still and should bolt straight to it, but they also dont shift the smoothest and the shifter is about 6-7" forward of where I would like just estimating. Remembered about tracker shifter being further back but that trans wouldn't bolt directly to motor...then thought about early trackers came with 1.3 so maybe that 5spd would be the one to look for but rare?

So basic questions are
1. Is the 1.3 tracker transmission different than 1.6 tracker and 1.3 samurai?
2. If so what gearing does the early 1.3 tracker 5spd have?
3. What would you do in my shoes other than think of another dumb project?

Well because my 3cyl makes more power than even a 4cyl 1.3 let alone 1.3 down 1 cyl. I should have mentioned I was thinking of using the tail housing conversion to 2wd on the tracker trans unless I lucked into a 2wd one.

Ah
Sami

Tracker

Was going to put this in newb section but figured its kinda tracker specific question so might get more hits here. I have a weird ass project idea in my head and need to go from a 1.0L 3cyl to a RWD layout transmission. First thought went straight to samurai since they are small,light,fairly common still and should bolt straight to it, but they also dont shift the smoothest and the shifter is about 6-7" forward of where I would like just estimating. Remembered about tracker shifter being further back but that trans wouldn't bolt directly to motor...then thought about early trackers came with 1.3 so maybe that 5spd would be the one to look for but rare?

So basic questions are
1. Is the 1.3 tracker transmission different than 1.6 tracker and 1.3 samurai?
2. If so what gearing does the early 1.3 tracker 5spd have?
3. What would you do in my shoes other than think of another dumb project?
The 89 sidekick 1.3 5 speed tranny is a regular trackick tranny with a special bellhousing that lets it bolt to a 1.3 block. You can remove the bellhousing and put a regular 1.6 trackick bellhousing on it and it will then be exactly the same as what came behind the 1.6 trackicks.

Same gearing as any other trackick tranny that came behind a trackick 1.6 8V engine, since it is the same tranny. The only difference in trackick 5 speed trannys is the 5th gear ratio. The trannys that came behind 1.6 16Vs had a .795 5th gear. The ones that came behind the 1.6 8V had a .86 5th gear ratio.

You using a metro 3 cylinder 1.0?

Sounds like if you need the shifter further back than what a samurai tranny will give you, your best bet would be to use a trackick tranny.
You can either try to find the 1.3 bellhousing for it or just run it with "lucky 13" mounts/adapters. Note that if you run the 1.3 bellhousing you will have to use a "samurai" 1.3 clutch (smaller diameter than the 1.6 8V or 1.6 16V trackick clutches...the 16V clutch is larger diameter than the 1.6 8V clutch also).
All the lucky 13 adapters do is make it so you can bolt the 1.3/1.0 lower engine and 1.6 tranny ears together, since the trackick spread is wider. The upper tranny/engine bolts line up between the 1.6 and 1.3/1.0. You can also make some adapters to join the lower ears together...I used just a piece of heavy wall pipe and some flat plate and welded them together and used bolts and studs to bolt everything securly. Really simple once you get the tranny and engine joined and see what you are dealing with and need to do.

Thanks for info! I had just never been around the 1.3 sidekick and couldn't really find any info on what trans it used. If it's nothing really special that's kinda better since it won't be a hard to find part later down rd.

Close on metro 3cyl, it's out of a chevy sprint turbo. I had whole car but had bad subframe rot and interior was shot so I pulled motor and full wiring harness out. I have a 83 rx7 with locked up 12a rotary that I was thinking about swapping for a decent mpg driver.

Ahh, ok. A buddy of mine put a metro 1.0 in an old suzuki LJ with a samurai tranny and dual samurai/LJ tcases.
I have also read/heard about people using the metro 3 cylinder in other builds, along with samurai drivetrains, so that is why I was thinking metro.
Years ago, I recall someone using a 1.3 DOHC out of a suzuki something car to swap into a samurai.
A 3 cylinder turbo sounds like a cool swap.

Yeah I mean it's no powerhouse or anything with something like 70hp and 80ft.lbs maybe? I had originally pulled it to put in a samurai project that I never ended up buying. But I figured I have 2 things sitting around not getting any use so maybe I could mash them together for a fun run around weekend car.

Top Back Refresh