What's new

Early Bronco- rear axle/ no budget

Back in the day I bought those axles for 250.00 and 750.00 for the GM Dana 60's.

It did require a 300 mile round trip.

not for this project. i swear all the good stuff that comes up for sale is in that area east between seattle and oly. i'm on North Whidbey Is. a 5-6 hr round trip

quick update,

axles been ordered, had them remove one line item for welding the spring pads on. total came to $4952 shipped to my door.

@YotaAtieToo- i asked about cost to go full float and he said without working up another quote... it would be in the $8k range

Wow, I wouldn't have figured it would be that much of a jump for full float!

So the ring gear bolts backed out almost completely and he just chipped a couple of teeth? Just put a new gear set in it and make sure the ring gear bolts are properly torqued and Loc-Tited :shaking: I have seen and read no evidence that he needs to upgrade anything other than he might put a 500-600HP motor in it "someday." Has he ever broken a stock 28 spline axle shaft? If the answer is no, then he isn't really that hard on his rear end despite what he may claim.

If blowing $5,000 on a rear end is what will make him happy, then have at it by all means, but it certainly isn't necessary.

thats exactly what happend.

he has broken the 28spline once that i know of. we went this route because to rebuild the r&p and get bigger shafts in there (i'm sure 31 spline would have been fine) would likely cost around $3k around here. if i had time and wanted to learn how to build an axle, sure could have saved a bunch of money. and you can see the quality work we get around here just looking at the failure.

not my money and who doesn't like cool parts? the extra expence for 'cool' and knowing that it should be one less thing to ever be an issue. makes it worth it to him.

forgot... build time is supposed to be 3-4wks. i'll try to keep this thread updated.

so what size tires are those? I saw someone guess 33s.. but you never did say??

I'm guessin at least 33s, maybe 35s.. or something in the middle..

havent recieved anything and no word from currie. so i sent an email asking whats up.

says hell look into it and get back to me, then i get this;

"Eaton says the Detroit Locker is on back order till August. I have purchasing looking into a Yukon Grizzly, which is basically the same thing, as an alternative."

fuck me, i'm supposed to have this done and leaving on a trip the 27th.

i cant stand suppliers that make you contact them in order to know what the hell is going on:mad3:

well we went back and forth a couple times but they say they will have the axle here by the 23rd. should be plenty of time. its going to cost them on shipping an i'm still a bit doubting but we'll see.

well we went back and forth a couple times but they say they will have the axle here by the 23rd. should be plenty of time. its going to cost them on shipping an i'm still a bit doubting but we'll see.

Is the old one going to be up for sale? I need a 9 for my daily driver EB build.

Damn. That is some bullshit. Not expected .... But understandable with the new and improved extra stay at home fear shit going on this year.

You would think that would be a 3 day deal for a cookie cutter setup.

Is the old one going to be up for sale? I need a 9 for my daily driver EB build.

it will be, i'm not sure how much though. i can ask.

the owner has a bunch of bronco stuff thats been piling up in his shop that he's going to be gettign rid of. the plan currently is to load it up and try to sell it when at the bronco run in Florance Or next month. i know the old axle and a new in box efi system he'll be selling, dont know much beyond that. i did drive by his lay down yard the other day and noticed he now has a couple more early broncos and parts off to the corner, no idea what his plans are for them. i got enough on my plate, i wont be touching them anytime soon.

and ya. $5K:eek:

one and done doing it right the first time. any of you freaking on the price got a line on an axle of similar build for less, shipped to pnw Wa? i can send you the 4 page long build sheet. you dont.

i'm as cheap as the next guy but most importantly i also value my time, and the only way it can be done cheaper is if you dont value your time. funny how the guys bragging about cheap parts will put 100hrs or what ever into them and never consider their own time investment. thats a poor mindset. value your time and do bigger things! $5k is cheap is the big picture

and ya. $5K:eek:

one and done doing it right the first time. any of you freaking on the price got a line on an axle of similar build for less, shipped to pnw Wa? i can send you the 4 page long build sheet. you dont.

i'm as cheap as the next guy but most importantly i also value my time, and the only way it can be done cheaper is if you dont value your time. funny how the guys bragging about cheap parts will put 100hrs or what ever into them and never consider their own time investment. thats a poor mindset. value your time and do bigger things! $5k is cheap is the big picture

The other side of that coin, is if you have more time than money. Say, someone retired.

$5k for a turn key rear isn't bad.

They to assemble a comparable axle yourself for much less.

Housing ~$1200

3rd ~$1500

Shafts $600

Brakes? Kinda a wild card, but probably $300 minimum.

Plus Misc bull shit that always adds up.

So that's what? $1400 less than a turn key, bolt in axle, that's all designed to work together.

Don't get me wrong, you can definitely save some money doing it yourself, but it's not like you can do something comparable for less than half like everyone seems to think.

Anyone here priced crate 60s or bigger?

​​​​​​

I don't think the guys griping about the $5,000 would be the guys buying all new aftermarket parts :flipoff2:

I think people are balking because you can go down to the Pick 'N' Pull and get 1 ton rear that you can run as is for around $150, and considering that the only reason the axle broke in the first place was a FUBARed gear install that would have cost $250 in parts to fix.

Last edited:
The other side of that coin, is if you have more time than money. Say, someone retired.

well sure, there are always exceptions. because thats what they enjoy to do... etc

but even in retirement if you dont value your time, then no doubt you have wasted much of your life. old, but not wise.

i would have built this myself if i had enough free time, not because i enjoy this type of build or $, but because i like to learn. And in education there is life long value. i have earned my BS in Industrial Engineering, and while not working directly in the field that education has helped me in every facet of my life.

$5k for a turn key rear isn't bad.

They to assemble a comparable axle yourself for much less.

Housing ~$1200

3rd ~$1500

Shafts $600

Brakes? Kinda a wild card, but probably $300 minimum.

Plus Misc bull shit that always adds up.

So that's what? $1400 less than a turn key, bolt in axle, that's all designed to work together.

Don't get me wrong, you can definitely save some money doing it yourself, but it's not like you can do something comparable for less than half like everyone seems to think.

Anyone here priced crate 60s or bigger?

​​​​​​

thanks for typing it out, spot on.

i just looked at the build sheet;

CE-6011WT
WILWOOD 11 INCH BRAKE KIT - REAR - W/INTERNAL PARKING BRAKE - BIG FORD NEW STYLE -
2.50 OFFSET - 1 PIECE 11 INCH ROTOR (.810 THICK) - BLACK CALIPER
$776.00
EACH
0.00%
$776.00

and the direct fit ebrake cables were an additional $148

Third Member - Style:9 Inch Ford (9IN) Ratio:4.11S Spline:35 Differential:Detroit Locker (DL) Case:9+
Nod Race [R] Pinion Support:9+ Race [R] Yoke:1350 9+ (F)
$1,799.85
EACH
0.00%
$1,799.85

also on the build sheet the fabricated housing is listed at $792. thats cheap! i think the cheapest fabed bare housing i found elsewhere was at least $1200. never really looked at all the items and prices before just big picture. maybe its less as a package i dunno.

Last edited:
I love how everyone on the planet can just go down to the local pick n pull and buy these magical $150 1 ton rears and $500 sets of SD axles....... Its all bullshit! These junkyards know exactly what axles are worth now thanks to the internet.

Prove me wrong and post links to theses nearly free sets of tons everyone seems to be able to get.

This link should set the record straight: https://www.car-part.com/mobile/index.htm

I love how everyone on the planet can just go down to the local pick n pull and buy these magical $150 1 ton rears and $500 sets of SD axles....... Its all bullshit! These junkyards know exactly what axles are worth now thanks to the internet.

Prove me wrong and post links to theses nearly free sets of tons everyone seems to be able to get.

This link should set the record straight: https://www.car-part.com/mobile/index.htm

Maybe not where you are at. I personally have paid the following prices for axles:

$75 Explorer 8.8
$100 Explorer 8.8
$125 Dana 35 TTB
$140 '89 King pin Dana 60
$650 matching '07 Superduty Dana 60 and 10.5" (these were already pulled, so I didn't have to do any work.)

I am planning on pulling a full float E-series Dana 60 here pretty soon for ~$125 :laughing:

LKQ sells Superduty Dana 60s all day long for $250-$500.

Here are prices from my local yard:

4FC21C3F-81AB-4FA0-BF75-9DBB02BF1F76.png - Click image for larger version  Name:	4FC21C3F-81AB-4FA0-BF75-9DBB02BF1F76.png Views:	0 Size:	113.7 KB ID:	72181

Last edited:
Yes, 1 ton rear ends are cheap. $250 14b $200 D70 ect

I've gotten a few d60u for $180 or whatever p n p wants.

Doesn't do much good for some one who wants a ~60" wide 5x5.5 axle that bolts into a EB with functional e brake.

Also, everyone talks about these cheap rear ends like they're ready to go. When you have to spend at least $1k to re gear and lock.

http://wrenchapart.com/vehicle-search/

https://www.picknpull.com/

Take a look at the price sheet and inventory

Not to mention I see 05+ SD rolling chassis for $750-1000 quite often on CL/FB.

I try to avoid DFW like the plague, but there's several independent yards around the state that the conversion goes like:

"Do you have xyz vehicle/axle/part"

Yes, thatll be tree-fitty *slaps fly on counter*

"How about $100 and your meskin pulls it"

$120 and I'll have it pulled and ready in 2 hours

each lunch and hand old man behind counter $150 and then you get the hookup on the following purchases.

Doesn't do much good for some one who wants a ~60" wide 5x5.5 axle that bolts into a EB with functional e brake.

Also, everyone talks about these cheap rear ends like they're ready to go. When you have to spend at least $1k to re gear and lock.

Anyone else could have bought the trail-queer axle kit for $1000, hubs and brake for another $1000, and 9" third for $1000, and I'm being generous on the pricing.

Depends on gears and locker. Cheap people will run the 4.10s and weld it. Anyone else will re-gear and full case locker. But those arent the people bragging about $100 "tons".

A newer disc brake gmt800 14B is ~$200

8 lug and full width is the only way to be :flipoff2:

Depends on what ratios you want. 4.30s and 4.10s are pretty common, and a Lincoln locker doesn't cost much.

I am not knocking what the OP bought (not how I'd personally spend $5,000 on a rear end) because as you pointed out, there aren't any good cheap junkyard options for what he wants. I am just pointing out why so many people are bitching about $5,000 on a rear end.

http://wrenchapart.com/vehicle-search/

https://www.picknpull.com/

Take a look at the price sheet and inventory

Not to mention I see 05+ SD rolling chassis for $750-1000 quite often on CL/FB.

I try to avoid DFW like the plague, but there's several independent yards around the state that the conversion goes like:

"Do you have xyz vehicle/axle/part"

Yes, thatll be tree-fitty *slaps fly on counter*

"How about $100 and your meskin pulls it"

$120 and I'll have it pulled and ready in 2 hours

each lunch and hand old man behind counter $150 and then you get the hookup on the following purchases.

If you come across an 05+ SD rolling chassis that cheap in the area can you let me know? I'm not on FB. I wouldn't mind putting the entire suspension under my 97 F250. 4.10 or 4.30 axles would be perfect. I'd even consider a dually setup if I could find the rear fenders for my year truck.

:smokin:

https://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi

3 blocks away....2005....300 bux 410....for rear.....800 for a set.....

​​​​show up and they will load it.....

...2019 with a few k miles 4.30 gear and e locker 600 to 1600.....

Take a 35 min ride down I 75 and pick up a rear locking 60 new from Dana for 3200.

All that said . 5k for a lightweight turn key is worth it if you got the coin. I have had bad luck with 9 in

1 ton shit is heavy.
​​​

Anyone else could have bought the trail-queer axle kit for $1000, hubs and brake for another $1000, and 9" third for $1000, and I'm being generous on the pricing.

Depends on gears and locker. Cheap people will run the 4.10s and weld it. Anyone else will re-gear and full case locker. But those arent the people bragging about $100 "tons".

A newer disc brake gmt800 14B is ~$200

The trail gear kit is a good value, doesn't include shafts though.
​​​​​​
A 35 spline Detroit 3rd isn't *that* cheap

Still doesn't have an e brake, plus owner has to pay for all the brackets to be welded on.

Like someone said, it's not what I would have done. But I don't see why people can't see how different people have different ways of building rigs.

Anyone wheelin with 4.10s and big tires is a fucking looser BTW :flipoff2: Jesus people, you just love axle wrap and breaking drive shafts, tcases, ect? Put the correct gears in your axles and you will be much happier.
​​​​​

Top Back Refresh