What's new

Early Bronco Dilemma

I am glad to see they completely stripped the liner down to metal. If it were me and they just patched the bad areas I would feel pretty uneasy about the rest of it holding up long-term.

I am glad to see they completely stripped the liner down to metal. If it were me and they just patched the bad areas I would feel pretty uneasy about the rest of it holding up long-term.

I'm glad they stripped it down too, seems to be holding up good so far.

Started putting stuff back on. Brakes and pedals are done. Gotta build an air box next and mount the PS cooler, and about a million other things. Got a mid May deadline for Moab so I need to get after it.

Parking brake added with a ball valve. Also, the universal heater/AC unit I got off Ebay is too big. Hopefully I can get a smaller one...

photo56148.jpg

photo56149.jpg

photo56150.jpg

photo56151.jpg

That’s a lot cheaper than the Mico. Curious how it works as I need some sort of brake also

That’s a lot cheaper than the Mico. Curious how it works as I need some sort of brake also

It's a simple line lock. You press in the brake pedal and close the valve. Then it holds the brake caliper closed.

I've used electronic line locks for years with success for front and rear burns with a twin stick transfer case. I just never leave them on for an extended period of time with the engine off because I didn't want it to drain the battery. This valve should solve that.

Set full bump using the old front fender, built bump pads, mounted the coilovers and bumps, finish welded the links, and welded on the reservoir mounts.

Spent a couple days getting the universal seat sliders to work with the corbeau's and mounted to the cage and body.

Filled in the original shifter hole for the dana 20 in the center console and added a small tray.

Slow going but I still think I'm on pace to be ready for Moab in June.

photo56967.jpg

photo56969.jpg

photo56966.jpg

photo56968.jpg

What length are the coil overs? What springs did you go with? Do you have an idea of the weight?” Doing a great job

So I bought the coilovers used. Guy I got them from had them on an early bronco.
The coilovers are 12" travel. I think the lowers are 350lb? Not sure on the uppers, and I have no idea what the weight is? Sorry. Thanks!

Just got back from Texas vacation, yes I've been working on it every day since then. Unfortunately it's a lot of little stuff so no real big updates.

Got fenders, dash, and radiator support back from paint. Should have everything by the first of June.
Built a mount for the winch control box.
Finished up the bump pads.

Going to start electrical soon. Also, just ordered all the stereo stuff and made all the cutouts in the center console.

E7A810BA-353B-49D3-B55F-7C1E09360E0F.jpeg
6D9E1412-B8E2-4F6E-8BAA-2D60960EEDEF.jpeg
9043F97D-71B2-4B0D-B8B6-739E1886674A.jpeg
52545549-5FF6-4D98-963F-96363FF1B3E6.jpeg
6BC6902C-3D05-40F6-BAE9-327B7921AF64.jpeg

You're making some solid progress! Still thinking you are going to meet your mid May deadline?

Thanks, I'm trying. Actually I have until mid June, time will tell though.
I could definitely have it running and driving before then I'm just trying not to cut corners and have to redo things later.
Seems like everything I work on takes twice as long as it should. I've never built anything that I cared for the aesthetics so much!

Grill, fenders, ARB compressor. Feels like I'm getting closer to a runner. Should have the rest of the panels to me by June 1st.
Every weekend has been and will be booked with other family stuff until mid June.
Working on the bronco after work definitely makes for long days!
02546479-7110-421C-AF76-162ACE5E499D.jpeg
37E89D6D-7232-40C8-B72C-53B576C36529.jpeg
14648FA3-C62C-4357-940A-86FD4BE27228.jpeg
434B3CCC-1686-4CEE-8B48-5A61000E95EB.jpeg

It's starting to look like a Bronco again!
It's getting there!

So my mom's husband (New Dad), the reason I get two Christmases, was all about working in the garage with me this weekend so I got some stuff done!
Head lights are wild horses led with halos and built in turn signals. Went with white running light/turn signals.
Front and rear bumpers. Mounts took a minute to fab. Front driveshaft is in. Cutting up the axle and rotating the pinion up 10° worked about perfect. Tom Woods had them to my door within 4 days of placing the order, great quality!
Getting closer!

Oh, and our new logo is done!

C986E445-4449-411C-B93C-21E8B64CF6B0.jpeg
B3D558E1-F40C-47A8-AF81-B10CA8DE1161.jpeg
E49BC96E-EF9F-4FD0-8EC7-0A05D181DB87.jpeg
75D5CDEF-CAF1-4CD8-BFED-604AC86C5ACF.png

Thanks

Nope, Not building them to take hits. Honestly they're pretty expendable at $100 each.
Definitely not building this for what your car is going to see!
Understood.

I was just having a flash back to my father's old Bronco barely catching the edge of the stock front bumper on a rock and it folding back and tweaking the grill and fender like nothing :laughing:

Wow! This is awesome! :smokin:

I’m not going to lie, I get the use it like you want and have fun cause you can’t take it with you, but I cringe at the idea of this beauty getting body damage. :laughing:

Understood.

I was just having a flash back to my father's old Bronco barely catching the edge of the stock front bumper on a rock and it folding back and tweaking the grill and fender like nothing :laughing:
you're probably right. Not sure how I'd reinforce and keep the stock look. I am strongly considering narrowing the front. Just want to get the fender flares on first and see how much needs to be trimmed.
Wow! This is awesome! :smokin:

I’m not going to lie, I get the use it like you want and have fun cause you can’t take it with you, but I cringe at the idea of this beauty getting body damage. :laughing:
Thanks. The wife is a little worried too about body damage. Definitely want to maximize the enjoyment of it though!

you're probably right. Not sure how I'd reinforce and keep the stock look.
Run something more structural behind it and treat the OEM bumper as a bumper cover. Use chrome headed carriege bolts to bolt the cover to the support and it will look OEM.

2.5x.25 square tube would probably fit nicely and you can weld a hitch tube under the bottom middle of it.

Run something more structural behind it and treat the OEM bumper as a bumper cover. Use chrome headed carriege bolts to bolt the cover to the support and it will look OEM.

2.5x.25 square tube would probably fit nicely and you can weld a hitch tube under the bottom middle of it.

That's a pretty good idea. May knock that out late summer.

Finally found room for my HVAC. Unfortunately it lives in the same spot as the glove box. Luckily I've got some aluminium and a break so I bent up a low profile one. I was even still able to get the CB panel to fit inside.
Wiring is slow going but progress is being made. Glad to have some help from my buddy Mike!

97535C00-4EC9-46DF-AB7A-E943F080E50E.jpeg
3CED2A36-53F6-4877-BC06-0E53956D7B22.jpeg
BC2FC741-1B7B-4ED7-B5A8-585D7AF69732.jpeg
15E24537-6E47-47DC-B7F8-4A93E7BD4DA3.jpeg

Nice work Mike. Glove box will still fit a pair of gloves. Will it clear roll cage bar?
That's funny because we made the same glove statement 😂. Honestly as long as the CBs fit and I can throw in my registration/insurance that's all I'll need.
Roll cage does fit. I was a little hesitant to use this dash over my original 66 one. But this one was in way better shape, had the right cut outs (mostly) and the glove box opening is offset for the cage.

Well I'm all done, what do you think?!?
B24C3815-753D-416B-8E9D-4A5B891E3937.jpeg

Not really. Didn't make the deadline for Moab and wasn't willing to cut corners so I'm taking the buggy instead.
I'm telling you the last little bit is taking a ridiculous amount of time! I'd much rather bend tube and smash atoms than assemble and wire...

8488805C-6AEC-45D4-9C8F-13C41D618FF5.jpeg

Bummer. At this level of build it's all in the details, which take a lot of time to do, or re-do. You made the right choice though. Keep up the good work just go faster haha

Top Back Refresh