What's new

Early air cond. Dash

Clb

another toyota from P.R.K
Member Number
Loc
First 50 club
I have an 83 with factory air, the dash switch died.
The fan works but the cooling control don't. The switch is nla, thinking about cutting up the stock dash is a nogo!
I'm thinking the cooling control from a second gen dash may work out, it's a 2 wire slider if I recall?!
Got a pic of the dash and or wiring harness for reference?

Looking for the cooling control, associated wiring and such.
So I can figure how to make cold air again.
Thanks bud
20220512_143645.jpg

This is the first gen switch.
Small rotating knob is fan the big one does the temp of cooling.
Yes the dash in a non ac. One (no markings for the ac...) I swiped the ac from a first gen with a busted dash plastic.

Somewhere I have that switch loose from a part out. If I can’t find it I’ll rip it out of my wheeling rig that’s never going to have working AC again and install a universal switch.
If it wasn’t a relic of the rust belt I really should have kept my SR5 nice. Considering I’ve either gutted or ruined all the SR5 specific hardware it really was a waste to start with one.
For some reason I remember these having a square push button that lit up blue when the AC was engaged, but maybe Toyota didn’t start using that until the mid 80s? I’ll bet that button got used on every vehicle 84-95 and it’s probably the same part number :laughing:

Iirc
The 84 up used the little 1\2" - blue button to trigger the compressor clutch,
The first gens used the big rotary knob with a click to "off" like the heater fan
Speed switch.
If you come up with one, "You're my new best friend " stolen from another thread....
Let me know I'm in!
If you want a non ac. Heater switch to replace yours, I'll send ya this one...

Attachments

• 20220512_143857.jpg
    20220512_143857.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 1
ED7682B0-97F3-4E7C-A872-B37636DBDBFD.jpeg

This what you want? Just pulled it from my ‘83 SR5 wheeling rig.

3A19EC2B-F9E1-454A-8D41-ED09004163C5.jpeg

Also have this out of an ‘81

PM me an address and I’ll ship it USPS flat rate tomorrow.

ETA: I’d take the non ac switch, you can ship it back in the same box. Save me having to wire up a toggle (really only use the heater for fogged windows these days)

Perfect
I thought the 81 had a slider cooling control, now I know!
I'll send the non ac heater switch back.

Top Back Refresh