What's new

Eager Beaver Roller- Can't find shit on it.

one thing to consider is what oil is in it?

they don't fare well with multiviscosity. Should be a straight 30w. if she's got a healthy knock maybe some straight 40 or 50w, or some 30 w with the lucas goo in it.

Good call, didn't think of that. I put 10-30 in it as that is was was on the shelf. I will decrease the viscosity and see what it does.

I'm not sure that it will ever get hot enough to make that oil actually act like 30w.

as a general rule of thumb unless it has a pressured oiling system it doesn't do well with multi viscosity oil.

I'm not sure that it will ever get hot enough to make that oil actually act like 30w.

as a general rule of thumb unless it has a pressured oiling system it doesn't do well with multi viscosity oil.

Surely that twin cylinder Kohler has a pressurized oiling system... I have had good luck running 15-40 in small engines. Hell I run 15-40 in everything except modern gasoline engines in vehicles with catalytic converters.

Um ok. Thank you for your contribution. It is working AWESOME for my application, and for the price I am FULLY content with it. It would have cost me the same for ~2 days of a rental of the same level, and I do not have two days to dedicate to this job. But I value your input... :laughing:

Whats your application?

Surely that twin cylinder Kohler has a pressurized oiling system... I have had good luck running 15-40 in small engines. Hell I run 15-40 in everything except modern gasoline engines in vehicles with catalytic converters.

negative.
k series is ancient. cast iron, L head(IIRC), splash lubrication.
designed for straight 30w motor oil with no detergents/dispersents.

negative.
k series is ancient. cast iron, L head(IIRC), splash lubrication.
designed for straight 30w motor oil with no detergents/dispersents.

It does have an oil pressure gauge. Reads 30-40 psi, you can watch it build up while it is cranking.

Walmart had no straight 30, I will have to grab some from another store.

Won't be using it this week as I am traveling for work. Will get back to it next weekend.

I may be mistaken then about thw twins.
for sure a single k series is splash lube.

I would just rebuild it. I did a 10hp and it was a cheap rebuild. The mains are ball bearings and the connecting rod and piston was cheap. I thing mine really just needed an exhaust valve after 30 years of use.

I would just rebuild it. I did a 10hp and it was a cheap rebuild. The mains are ball bearings and the connecting rod and piston was cheap. I thing mine really just needed an exhaust valve after 30 years of use.

Once I get a chance to find the serial # I will order a kit. I mean if I can rebuild a backhoe engine, can prob manage this one ha ha

My brother and I mowed a 4 to 6 yards a week with that Kohler for many years followed up with snow plowing and it only took .010 to clean up the cylinder.

Update.

Did find a serial # for the engine, and then the manual, so was able to get some info.

Chris and I set the Valve clearance and that made a HUGE difference. I also 'fixed' the steering, don't have the ram centered up perfectly, but it does steer fine enough for now. Actually responds which is nice. Running much better now, prob needs some carb tuning but good enough for now.

Got my new seat on, which is nice. Even bolted a vice to the front of it.

All in all happy.

Top Back Refresh