What's new

E40D Fluid

4RunnerGuy

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Galveston, TX
This is in a 1993 F150. Is Mercon V the go to at this point? Google results seem varied. I have drained the TC and replaced the filter.

FWIW, I have a buddy that has a trans shop, he buys ATF in bulk and puts that in almost everything, he says it works good. I've ran both.

IIRC there is a particular grade of hydraulic fluid that everyone swears by for these. Someone will chime in with the exact spec.

Yes Mercon V is the current acceptable replacement if you can find it.

mercon V is about done, not sure what will be next, probably some multi vehicle fluid.

Yes Mercon V is the current acceptable replacement if you can find it.

mercon V is about done, not sure what will be next, probably some multi vehicle fluid.
MERCON LV - Low Viscosity

I use the Valvoline maxlife mercon v replacement, it's multi spec, this is my second fill of it and it works great and isn't very expensive.

Don't be scared that it is a little thinner than older specs, it is more stable than older fluids.

you're getting the bottom of the barrel results outta google by typing in "eee fourty dee fluid" if you type in "eee four ohh dee" you'll get better results from the forums

FWIW, Ford made a bajillion variations of the AOD -> E4OD -> 4R70W 4R75W (pretty much all take an E4OD trans filter). Good luck at the parts counter asking for a trans filter and gasket for a 2010 E350 van, they going to hem and haw and say they see one but it doesn't say if they have it at the warehouse. Go in and tell them you need TF403 of TF132 depending on the filter (14 bolt pan), pull the pan first to make sure. They'll head to the back and come out with the bag, rind it up and it will be about $15

FWIW, Ford made a bajillion variations of the AOD -> E4OD -> 4R70W 4R75W (pretty much all take an E4OD trans filter). Good luck at the parts counter asking for a trans filter and gasket for a 2010 E350 van, they going to hem and haw and say they see one but it doesn't say if they have it at the warehouse. Go in and tell them you need TF403 of TF132 depending on the filter (14 bolt pan), pull the pan first to make sure. They'll head to the back and come out with the bag, rind it up and it will be about $15
The e4od is completely unrelated to the aod line. The 4r100 is the continuation of the e4od.

The e4od is c6 based whereas the aod is fmx based.

FWIW, Ford made a bajillion variations of the E4OD -> 4R70W 4R75W (pretty much all take an E4OD trans filter). Good luck at the parts counter asking for a trans filter and gasket for a 2010 E350 van, they going to hem and haw and say they see one but it doesn't say if they have it at the warehouse. Go in and tell them you need TF403 of TF132 depending on the filter (14 bolt pan), pull the pan first to make sure. They'll head to the back and come out with the bag, rind it up and it will be about $15
The e4od is completely unrelated to the aod line. The 4r100 is the continuation of the e4od.

The e4od is c6 based whereas the aod is fmx based.
I stand by every thing quoted above. I had to replace the filter and gasket in a 2010 E350 van and ho-lee-fuck was it a shit show at the part counter. I went back with the part number I needed and was out the door in 2 minutes. YMMV

I stand by every thing quoted above. I had to replace the filter and gasket in a 2010 E350 van and ho-lee-fuck was it a shit show at the part counter. I went back with the part number I needed and was out the door in 2 minutes. YMMV
Both filters you mentioned are for a 4R70/4R75, completely irrelevant to the discussion.

I will also add, find and buy the filter retaining clips that are sold.

I was just recently in mine and the filter was almost falling out. I made a strap to retain it now but the clips look like a more elegant solution.

Both filters you mentioned are for a 4R70/4R75, completely irrelevant to the discussion.

That explains the shitshow at the parts counter. :laughing:
AZ shows the same filter for both a 1990 F250 2WD 5.8L and a 1995 F250 4WD 5.8L, which should have the C6 based trans.

FWIW I confused E4OD and AODE in my head. I know the difference, Mea culpa

Top Back Refresh