What's new

Dyson or ?

Fishbone333

Red Stiff Member
Member Number
Loc
Poconos, pa
We've had 3 or 4 Dyson vacs over the years, and they've been ok
Wifey wants a new Dyson stick vac or someshit, i remember reading here or that other place that shark is the way to go. Wife says reviews all say Dyson, I say my imaginary friends know what they're talking about. She says no mention of shark whatsoever.
fwiw, I am in the process of replacing almost all of our carpet with vinyl plank. Dog and cat hair need to be cleaned daily, plus 3 filthy kids being kids....swiffer not cutting it.
What say ye, IBB?

We have a Dyson "Animal" stick vac - I was pissed about the price, but it's been a rock star. Emptying it is easy, with no parts removed. Many years old now, due for a new battery pack, but otherwise awesome performance.

Oh, and . . . make sure your S.O. knows to not use it for plaster dust :laughing:

Sharks really suck.

I bought one about 16 years ago and was impressed on how much it sucked up. The amount of dust in a carpet is insane. My ex has it and it's still going. I bought the same one again and been using it for three years.

My mother has a Shark too.

Seems like you pay more on a Dyson just for the name. I really can't see it sucking up more than what the Shark does to justify the cost.

Kirby from the methy latter day saints that come around.

We had a pet Dyson for years and was great and never slowed. My son still has it and it's going strong.

Sharks really suck.

I bought one about 16 years ago and was impressed on how much it sucked up. The amount of dust in a carpet is insane. My ex has it and it's still going. I bought the same one again and been using it for three years.

My mother has a Shark too.

Seems like you pay more on a Dyson just for the name. I really can't see it sucking up more than what the Shark does to justify the cost.

Yeah, to clarify: I'm not saying the Dyson is worth Dyson prices, just that ours has been a good stick vac.

If the Shark is as good at lower cost, support Shark's China factory instead of Dyson's China factory :frown:

Fuck, remember when we used to make shit like that . . . here?

Yeah, to clarify: I'm not

If the Shark is as good at lower cost, support Shark's China factory instead of Dyson's China factory :frown:

Fuck, remember when we used to make shit like that . . . here?

Yup, quick Google search shows these as made here

Top 11 best made in USA vacs
  • 5.1 Kirby Avalir 2.
  • 5.2 Rainbow SRX Cleaning System.
  • 5.3 Sanitaire EON Allergen.
  • 5.4 Simplicity S65 Cordless Multi-Use.
  • 5.5 Hoover Commercial HushTone Hard-Bagged upright.
  • 5.6 MetroVac Air Force Express.
  • 5.7 Oreck Elevate Conquer.
  • 5.8 Shop-Vac Eagle Eye.

My Mom owned one of those Rainbow jobs. Fucker was like $2k but it really did a good job and she absolutely loved it. She used it for 12-15 years.

Bissel, fuck we bought 3 of them this year of all variety.

none were crazy expensive, the "old one" is still functional and is a decade ago

If you’re getting hardwood or hardwood type floors check out the Bissell Crosswave. Wife talked me into it, price is a bit steep for me but I cleans awesome and there’s no need for the crappy swiffers anymore.

We have a shark battery stick vac for the quick daily kids dropped shit on the floor messes and a full sized shark for the deep cleans. For the price they are really nice. Every Dyson I’ve ever used feels flimsy and over priced.

I had a Kirby. It was built like a Dodge Weapons Carrier.

I had a Dyson. It was plastic bullshit top to bottom, with little complicated latches, flippy-outey features, and tiny fragile flanges. Coulda been made by Fiat. I threw it in the trash when some brittle plastic gave up and it wouldn't stay together. Disposable consumer product.

Now I have an Oreck. It's simple and sturdy. It does not have a purple plastic easy-clean dick-sucker.

Oreck:
Click image for larger version  Name:	oreck.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	107.5 KB ID:	60334

Dyson:
Click image for larger version  Name:	dyson.JPG Views:	0 Size:	322.0 KB ID:	60335

Last edited:
My Mom owned one of those Rainbow jobs. Fucker was like $2k but it really did a good job and she absolutely loved it. She used it for 12-15 years.

We bought a Rainbow and used the hell out of it for about 25 years. I't still working, but now as our backup since my wife thinks having to use the water tray and dump it afterwards is a PITA.

For about the last 5 years we have been Dyson users. Easy to use and easy to clean. The one issue we had with one and Dyson sent us a new one w/o any questions or issues.

Yep, ex-wifes parents had one. Thing was a mess to use (water bowl) but damn it removed some dirt!

We have a corded cheap vac, don't recall the name, and a Dyson V6 Animal I picked up when they went to the V8 and I got it dirt cheap. Its awesome.

My wife's had a fucking Rainbow for 20 years.... :eek:

The first one we had came from *her* grandma, was probably 25 years old when we got it. The one we have now is 13 years old or so....Still works like a champ. Might be time for some bearings. I think the only thing we had to do was replace the basin when a kid dropped it 6' or so. :homer:

just got a dyson delivered today d7 stick deal charged it up works good. I have mostly wood floors with 2 dogs so it does good for what it is. Picked it up for 200 bucks off ebay with there 20% off deal.

We have a Shark after going through several various Hoovers over the years. It's WAY WAY WAY better than any of the hoovers. I couldn't stomach the price of a Dyson, so that wasn't really in the running.

FWIW, my Mother-in-law and two of my Brother-in-law's families have also "converted" to Shark.

Thx for the input all but shes dead set on the dyson v11 for 500 bones. :eek:. Thought I could sway her but she isnt budging.. :rolleyes:

Had a Shark Rotator model from 2013 until recent, I dropped it and messed it up. Didn’t feel like fiddling with it, into garbage bin it went.

There is a canister style Dyson my in-laws gave us, that thing is a beast, has better suction vs Shark. Our go to at present.

We also have cordless/handheld Shark that works great for quick clean up and stairs duty (carpet in majority of the house).
That one has to be going on close to 7 years as well, hope to get more mileage out of it.

Almost bought one. At the time I went into a vacuum shop to ask about the Dyson and they said it's more of a broom replacement than a real vacuum, also that the battery life isn't great and you have to send them away to be fixed. So I ask what to buy and they point me towards a Samsung canister, I scoffed at a bagged vacuum but they had a good point "Do you want to replace $15 filters or $0.50 bags?", turns out the inline debris trap catches all the hair and big stuff anyway so a bag lasts a year or more. A couple nice features are the rheostat switch and the cord reel inside the machine. Just glad I haven't had to buy another in the past 5+ years, hard to find any decent home appliances these days.

We love our shark. We recently bought a new one because our kids broke the first one. They work awesome.

We have the old regular Dyson and the new battery stick thing. The battery doesn’t last very long at all and it takes 7 years to charge it. Now it fucking stinks when you turn it on, like spoiled milk

Commercial upright vacuums are like $300 any they will outlive you. Buy one, tell the wife it's what the pros use, and that since the house always looks like she's only an amateur at cleaning it should be more then enough machine.

We've got a Shark Apex and it works great. We had a Dyson before that and it was ok but I definitely like the shark better.

Top Back Refresh