What's new

Dusey 2021

Clb

another toyota from P.R.K
Member Number
Loc
First 50 club
Running it mid aug.
5 heeps ,one v-8 fj and one 22re first gen.
The v-8 guys are set for fuel.
How much fuel for the 22re, it usually does con with a few gallons left.
Doubling that is around 20 as a guess.
How much fuel you guys use (toyota, jeep 6cyl, v-8 guys)?
Thanks in advance.
Cb

My buddy ran it this year in a 1st gen runner with stock tank and made it through. Carried a 5 gallon jug just to be safe.

Sweet thanx
I need to run con for measuring the difference from the 22r to the new re I just finished this summer and see how much if any better it is on fuel. My club will be up in june.
that sounds promising, runner tanks are 14 gallon ?right?

My old 22re would do the Dusy just fine on its 16gal tank although I carry an extra 5 gal anyways. Normally I come off the trail with a bit under a half tank. This year with the 4.3 and auto I was worried about fuel consumption being higher, but I still managed to get back to the tow rig with almost a half a tank. I try to shift up as much as possible and just cruise on the trail.

Normally, there has been fuel at Huntington lake, but with the recent fire I'm not sure what's left or will be open next year. There is gas in shaver also.

Reactions: Clb
I guess I should clarify that a bit, its a bit under half a tank with the 5 gals added in. If I didn't have the 5 gals added in it would be probably under a 1/4 tank.

Kevin

bump for 22
2021 failed to happen.
headed in Aug 2
Anyone got Repeater freqs for dusy?
I have a repeater book acct. just hitting "Fresno" seems too broad?

I'll have to look, but there isn't much up there, and now after the creek fire there is even less. There were a couple of repeaters at the top of the 4lanes, but most of that was in the fire so I don't know if they ever got replaced. Some were private also. I believe there was another repeater in Shaver. The problem is I don't know how well those would hit the dusy. Its pretty far back there with several mountains(Bald) in the way. I was surprised when I was looking several years ago that there didn't seem to be any repeater access back to Edison and Florence lakes.

Have fun!

Got 2 from the fresno host club...
146.820 pl 141.3 -0.6
147.180 pl146.2

Are we there yet:flipoff2:

Curious how it was last week?

Also, is there safe truck & trailer parking at the north trail head closer to Shaver/Huntington?

I'm going to do just a day at the end of the month, go in and turn around before sunset. Never done it so don't know how far we'll get.

Just got home, one word
EPPIC
We were told no parking at courtwright
( I dunno we rented some storage yard space outside shaver.)
What gate south= courtwright
North = Kaiser pass

Talked to a local who was parked at the kaiser gate who said just park anywhere so???
Btw
Hit both repeaters fri eve.
No replies

Fri eve where on the trail. Neat that you could actually hit something though!

I wouldn't bother with parking at courtright, your not going to want to drive all the way back there for the tow rig. We usually park off Dinkey creek road where Rock creek road intersects it. There is a large dirt parking area there. That way you don't have to deal with limited parking at courtright and don't have to drive so far to get back to it.

You could also park up on 168 at the coyote or tamarack sno parks just down the hill from Huntington. In between Huntington and Kaiser pass there are a number of large turnoff spots that look like they'd be just fine for parking also, but then you have to drive from there all the way over to courtright to start the trail. The dirt road from Kaiser pass up to the end of the trail at white bark also has plenty of spots to park.

Actually out at the road by the shitters, after leaving the trail.
Never tried on the trail as we were busy towing out a dead rig.

Eta
We ran south (courtwright) to north ( out kaiser)

Last edited:
My rig has a spool and questionable tire quality for windy mountain roads at speed and reg is expired, I'm trying to minimize the street driving. I'm also going in/out the same way.

It looks like the Courtwright parking lot is for hikers, did you see any trailers there?

Are we talking about this parking lot, or the one closer to the trail head?

1660016879469.png

Honestly... we were the ONLY humans on the mtn.
So I was not looking.
The parking at the trailhead is tight at courtwright.
I would think bout hitting kaiser in your situation.
Trail is just as awesome from the north but easier parking.
Besides Thompson solo might be a :homer: Or Tampax Move (imho)

eta
We parked in town and blew straight thru to voyager rock in one shot from north gaybay area..., being amped for fun we did not poke around any.
Plus I was driving raker
:flipoff2:

Last edited:
Are we talking about this parking lot, or the one closer to the trail head?
Thats for the boat ramp. I don't know how cool they'd be with non-boat tow rigs parked there. The one closer to the trail head is usually inundated with hikers and horse trailers. I've never heard of it being closed to parking though. You could always try and if it doesn't work out just start driving away from the lake until you find a spot in the forest.

The north side does have a lot more parking options if you want to be close to the trailhead.

Thanks for the insight, we'll head for the north end then. I'm hoping we get there around 11AM on a Thursday, unload and probably head in for 3-4 hours and then plan for 3hr to get back out. Not going solo, going with another decent built rig but this will be both our first times on the Dusy. Neither of us have a winch, just tow straps.

Are there bypasses so that if we want to boogie back out before night we can get out quicker than heading in?

Nope, anywhere you can't get thru solo will be a pita.
Bring a comealong, you get beached itt'll be hell getting around you to pull ya forward .
Just plan on an overnighter in case and you'll be ok.
Most of the north sections are fun but 2-3 boulder feilds are technical and can slow progress bigtime.

Top Back Refresh