What's new

Duramax Swap FZJ80?

tristanlb7

Member Number
Loc
Colorado
Hey Ladies and Gents,

Does anyone have insight on FZJ80 land cruisers that have duramax diesel swaps in em? I'd like do eventually do a swap like this as I've seen guys with cummins cruisers but I'm more of a chevy diesel guy. I do not have any plans on buying a land cruiser just yet for financial reasons, but I have a duramax and I think it'd be a fun and functional build for an overland rig. I know a guy started one of these back in like '09 or '11 but I haven't heard or seen anything pop up since. In addition to a dmax swap, im trynna figure out what transmission would be best, for overlanding Id like to run an automatic setup but im fearful that an allison 1000 5/6 speed won't fit in a 80 series behind a duramax. Any thoughts?

It's chevy big block pattern so I think a t400 is another option if you don't go the allison route. If I where you I'd find a 2500 and try and use as much of the drive train as possible instead of mixing and matching.

The allison 1000 series is a big mofo, and the engine I've read is larger than a BBC. I can't recall if that's wider v-angle, or just larger cylinder heads, or what.

There is a guy from Australia that was starting to do it I think, but the build thread was never finished.

They say that the reason the Duramax never made it into the Suburban was the size of the Allison. I've never quite understood how you could do it in a crewcab pickup but not a Suburban. There has been speculation whether the 3.0L Duramax will find its way into Suburbans. It may be a better fit for your 80, although you'd pay a premium for it.

Here are some dimensions (mm with inches below) of the 6.6L to get you started:
6.6L Duramax Dimensions - Click image for larger version  Name:	gm-6-6l-l5p-v8-duramax-engine-schematics.jpg Views:	0 Size:	179.4 KB ID:	65065

That three and a quarter feet from top to bottom is going to be a killer.

Last edited:
The VM Motari 3.0 that is in my Ram 1500 would be perfect for this application, especially if you could get the 8speed trans too.

Didn't the Hoonigans shoehorn a 6.6l LB7 into a Camaro? Just do it already:flipoff2:

Last edited:
Interesting, thanks for the diagram PAT, one thing i want to keep in mind is the emissions restrictions with DEF and DPF, so i want to stick with pre 2007.5 dmaxes ig, there is a isuzu 4 cyl diesel tho that could be an option, or 4bta cummins ig, the only reason i thought the v8 dmax was good for it is mpg(as stupid as it sounds), i get 22 mpg in my ext cab long bed 7000lb truck with a dmax, so imagine the mpg in a 5500lb vehicle. I could also do a nv4500 5 speed if an auto wont cut it, mannys are usually smaller right?

Interesting, thanks for the diagram PAT, one thing i want to keep in mind is the emissions restrictions with DEF and DPF, so i want to stick with pre 2007.5 dmaxes ig, there is a isuzu 4 cyl diesel tho that could be an option, or 4bta cummins ig, the only reason i thought the v8 dmax was good for it is mpg(as stupid as it sounds), i get 22 mpg in my ext cab long bed 7000lb truck with a dmax, so imagine the mpg in a 5500lb vehicle. I could also do a nv4500 5 speed if an auto wont cut it, mannys are usually smaller right?

If you are swapping the engine you can just delete all the DEF/emissions stuff anyway. If you could get your hands on a LML or L5P you could have a much better engine out of the box.
The L5P has a much better oil cooler, pump and general cooling system than previous years, but I think banks is starting to sell those parts that you could apply to an older duramax.
Personally I wouldn't go with an electronically controlled diesel but that's just me, a 12v cummins weighs alot more than a duramax but it probably would be alot easier to swap, better fitment and you have quite a few transmission options, 4l80e, a well built 48re would be a great option aswell.

They say that the reason the Duramax never made it into the Suburban was the size of the Allison. I've never quite understood how you could do it in a crewcab pickup but not a Suburban. There has been speculation whether the 3.0L Duramax will find its way into Suburbans. It may be a better fit for your 80, although you'd pay a premium for it.

Here are some dimensions (mm with inches below) of the 6.6L to get you started:

That three and a quarter feet from top to bottom is going to be a killer.

They probably use a different frame. So the clearance isn't on the top side it's on the bottom.

Something about people with suv's want them to fit in garages? With the excursion, they kept everything the same except the springs. Just used softer springs for a low ride height.

Although the same era 2500hd trucks were total low riders too.

Chevy did some dumb shit. I just saw a fairly late model fed ex 2500 van, noticed it had the duramax badge, then also noticed it had a semifloat rear? :homer: I think Chevy is the only one making anything semifloat 8 lug for a long time now.

Top Back Refresh