What's new

Dune 2021: hit or flop?

I read the entire Dune series a few times. The original movie would have been impossible to understand without reading the book. There was just too much going on to fit into a movie.

I think I read they're going to split it up into two movies. But really any book that' not a shirt story needs to be a streaming series now. Game of Thrones proved it out.

Supposedly Snowcrash is going to be coming to HBO Max. I can't wait for that shit! Hopefully it is done halfway decent! Cryptonomicon would be amazing too. :smokin:

Looking more forward to the upcoming Star Wars stuff. Obi Wan makes my pants tight.
Star Wars is a dumpster fire, entire movies made just to fill a plot hole. Judged individually not bad but as a whole, God damn are they bad. Not one thread of cohesion between movies. Even the Mandalorian is getting pretty sad just a mash up of 80's tv tropes and montages , A-Team in space.
Dune will be hard to do right. Alot of the story is inner monologue something that doesn't translate well on film. Lynch's version struggled with this. As the story progresses from book to book Paul's legacy becomes more sinister and not something movie goers really want to cheer for.
Also agree needs to be more Game of Thrones series then movies, just to much going on.

Did anyone else watch Jodorowsky's Dune? I was really impressed but the further he talked about his ideas and changing the story I'm glad it never got made. As wonky as Lynch's version is think it's better than Jodorowsky's. But it did give us some of the best art design people for movies like Alien and Blade Runner.

I read the entire Dune series a few times. The original movie would have been impossible to understand without reading the book. There was just too much going on to fit into a movie.
The entire thing, including the newer books his son wrote?

I started from the beginning, but only got half way into the witches book (or heretics or something). Stopped reading now for a few years.

I'll finish it someday.

This is going to probably be my once a decade trip to a theater.

I tried reading Dune a few times and never could get into it. No interest in any of the movies.

Lets not trump up the firat movie either.
It was bad, but it was as good as it could have been. Only watching it repeatedly makes you fully understand how epic the story was, but it wasnt a great movie on its own watched once.

There was another, possibly made for tv remake that was low quality syfy channel graphics and it wasnt any better despite being 100x better special effects.

A $300m peter jackson level remake would undoubtably win a lot of people over but ill wait to see the new one to say.

I tried reading Dune a few times and never could get into it. No interest in any of the movies.
I read, I think the first three books, after that they were repetitive. Not as bad as the "Circle of Time" where everytime the author got to an obvious place to end he introduced some new peril. Dune was interesting in the fact that they drew so much from our culture now if you think of the Fremen as Muslims waiting for the "Maud'dib" to lead them into a holy war. The spice is oil they kind of make some sense
Game of Thrones lost me in like the second chapter of the second book to many characters to try and keep up with between publishing dates

I read, I think the first three books, after that they were repetitive. Not as bad as the "Circle of Time" where everytime the author got to an obvious place to end he introduced some new peril. Dune was interesting in the fact that they drew so much from our culture now if you think of the Fremen as Muslims waiting for the "Maud'dib" to lead them into a holy war. The spice is oil they kind of make some sense
Game of Thrones lost me in like the second chapter of the second book to many characters to try and keep up with between publishing dates
Another "SciFi" I never could get into was Lord of the Rings. Don't know why, but I just couldn't read it, and I'm really into SciFi.

Another "SciFi" I never could get into was Lord of the Rings. Don't know why, but I just couldn't read it, and I'm really into SciFi.
Problem is Lord of the Rings is fantasy not SciFi, and you have to read the Hobbit to understand what is happening.
I have read it a couple times, but I have never gotten into it like some of the people do looking for the deeper meaning.

Why did they change a major character Liet Kynes from a man to a woman? How can he be Chani's father if he's a woman?
Political Correctness, if you read the book the only women of power are the Bene Gesserit witches I wonder if they will make Paul at least wondering about sex with another man if not out right "bisexual" or worse " Try Sexual" watch out sand worms Paul is horny and hunting some strange tonight

From the trailers that I saw, it looks like it will be good. It will be the first time I've gone to the theater to watch a movie in years.

Why did they change a major character Liet Kynes from a man to a woman? How can he be Chani's father if he's a woman?
This is one of the "key" things that has me worrying about the movie even though the trailer I've seen looked pretty good.

I'm in the process of wrapping up reading the books(all including son's books) I like Frank's books better.

I actually like the 84 movie. I got to watch it in the theater when it was released. I still watch both theatrical and extended versions on a semi regular basis. While not faithful(guns), I like the sets and choice of actors. From what I've heard, the guns were added because it was competing with Star Wars/Star Trek. Some of the actors don't fit the roles they were playing; Paul being 15 in the book and slight build... Gurney being basically a beat up ugly SOB.

The Sci-Fy mini-series isn't great but is a bit closer. But some of the actors are not appealing and I thought it was too "bright". Paul looked younger but not around 15.

I agree with this in one of those series that needs multiple movies like Lord of the Rings. Or maybe an animated version to get it more accurate. Hard to find 15 year old actor and aging them... nothing about his kids being pre-teen.

The entire thing, including the newer books his son wrote?

I started from the beginning, but only got half way into the witches book (or heretics or something). Stopped reading now for a few years.

I'll finish it someday.
I didn't read the son's books. I read all the books from the original author. I have them around the house somewhere, but I am a avid reader and have hundreds of books. I even have the entire collection of Louis L'Amour books that I started collecting from childhood.

I didn't read the son's books. I read all the books from the original author. I have them around the house somewhere, but I am a avid reader and have hundreds of books. I even have the entire collection of Louis L'Amour books that I started collecting from childhood.
I'm also an avid reader on many different subject, but mostly SciFi and historical stuff. I do have just about everything from Clancy and Cussler though. I've made numerous runs to local libraries to donate lots of books when I run out of room.

E books are where it's at I have probably a 1000 books on my computer and 250 on my reader at any given time they run the cover fiction, non fiction, histories, biographies, how too...
Still love the feel of a hard bound but the reader is less noticiable in this day of cell phones

If there is a good movie and they remake it, I never want to go see it anymore. They always butcher it.

As popular as both Star Wars and Disney is at our house......Disney, please just stop :laughing:

(But I will admit under my breath the trailer for the Top Gun looks good)

Top Back Refresh