What's new

Dumb AR around 8-10"

kf4zht

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Building a radial delayed 9mm ar and got the bug to use some of the spare parts I have lying around....

I want a dumb AR setup. and I want it to be around 8-10" or less. Already got a pinned 14.5 lightweight 556, a 22" 6.5 grendel and a few others. This is just for a dumb, entertaining range toy.

So far what I've come up with:

• Stupid short 5.56 with a brake. Easiest since all I need is a barrel, great to annoy others. No need for special ammo or mags. Probably will get boring at some point
  • 458 SOCOM - does fine out of a 9.5 or longer, wide range of ammo, runs in normal mags with 3d printed followers. Most expensive per round (1.80+) but readily available
  • 450 Bushmaster - Slightly cheaper per round and rounds are technically more energy. Needs somewhat special mags though
  • 350 Legend - tempting due to much cheaper ammo (that seems to be everywhere), but seems like a lame compromise in the end

What say ye? No wildcats, I don't reload anymore.

Why no .300 BLK? It’s ideal out of that barrel length, fun with subs, and still practical for more than a toy.

Not the cheapest to shoot if you don’t reload, but no worse than some of your other options.

Why no .300 BLK? It’s ideal out of that barrel length, fun with subs, and still practical for more than a toy.

Not the cheapest to shoot if you don’t reload, but no worse than some of your other options.
Boring. And it pretty much requires a can to be useful, so far I've been playing skirt the NFA and not ready to sign up for that expense and registry.

Not saying I can't, got at least 3 uppers worth of hardware just needing barrels. As stated in the title - i want dumb. 300 makes sense

why not another 6.5 grendel?
sure you wouldn't want to be blasting with your nice ammo, but there's cheap wolf and such out there

Reactions: Lee
why not another 6.5 grendel?
sure you wouldn't want to be blasting with your nice ammo, but there's cheap wolf and such out there
Kinda tempting, but the wolf crap is getting harder to find and expensive. Saw a rumor the plants making it were running out of componets.

Really want something that either makes big holes or is obnoxious at the range. Obnoxious will eventually get superseded when I build an HK51

I have a 10" 300 blk and with the 6.5" sig can it's a hell of a lot of fun without being bulky.

Subs are stupid quiet. Superlative arms gas block was used to tune it. I just crank out a ton of ammo on the Dillon with berry's 220 copper plated bullets in a sitting.

Of your options I'd do a 458, and grab a bowers can. With eforms approvals are coming back in 60-80 days if you don't screw up the paperwork. I hate to be the one to tell you this, but there's already a list with your name on it. May as well see how many you can get onto :flipoff2:

With the Russian import ban I gave up anything relying on wolf to be cheap. Permits already approved were able to continue, but we're going to see an end to steel case cheap crap from Russian plants.

My buddy wanted to do a 458 Socom but ended up going 450 bushmaster because rifle round and cheaper ammo.

Top Back Refresh