What's new

Dual voltage welder - Millermatic 211 problems?

I think they run hot on 220v, so have always run them from a half to a full setting below the recommended thickness setting and then adjust the wire speed until you get that nice smooth frying bacon sound.

Bought an inverter 211 2 years ago, ran 5 or 6 spools through it and have no complaints. Lots of grinding dust and abuse by people that didn't spend their money on it. If it died tomorrow I'd buy another one.

For me, the auto set is way out in left field. I never use it. I really like the slow run-in feature for tacking and thinner stuff.

A friend has the Lincoln equivalent and to me It runs just as good as the Miller. I don't think you can go wrong between the two.

I think they run hot on 220v, so have always run them from a half to a full setting below the recommended thickness setting and then adjust the wire speed until you get that nice smooth frying bacon sound.
ok thank you i feel much better now, ive been doing that since i bought it and thought i just suck :laughing:

Last edited:
PowerMTS 211Si with TIG Package | Everlast Generators

I'm starting to consider this one too. The ESAB 205 is nice but not sure it is $3,700 nice for a hobbyist.

What's the difference between the Everlast PowerMTS 211si and the 215?
Also see the 275, need to call and ask, website is a PITA.

Last edited:
Do they still make transformer welders?

None of these newer inverter styler welders have long term reliability and looking at separate MIG & TIG just to avoid problems if one needs repair.
Also considering buying one from home depot just to make replacement easier.

Last edited:

None of these newer inverter styler welders have long term reliability.
I've only seen new transformer stick welders but I haven't exactly been looking at new stuff.

None of these newer inverter styler welders have long term reliability and looking at separate MIG & TIG just to avoid problems if one needs repair.
If you want reliability, do not buy at Home Depot. They may stick metal together, but they are not the same machine that you will find at your local welding supply house. They cut corners to cut prices.

Can usually tell by size/weight if it's a transformer machine. Has Hobart gone inverter too?

If looking at used machines... the model/size ratings used to be 'low' because they took after the 60% duty cycle. Nowadays they flaunt the 30% rating. Thus, a big old '160' machine is like a modern '210' or thereabouts.

If you want reliability, do not buy at Home Depot. They may stick metal together, but they are not the same machine that you will find at your local welding supply house. They cut corners to cut prices.
thats mostly true but not always

my 12yr old lincoln 180 i got from HD still works fine and ive ran hundreds of pounds of wire through it

that said the last welder i bought and all future welders will be bought at the local welding shop

Quietly welding in the corner with my 8+ yr old Miller inverter machine that ran 4+ hours a day for many years before retiring it to hobby use....

Granted it's not 20+ years old like the Miller 250 in the corner, but it's a hell of a lot smaller and pulls less amps.

Can usually tell by size/weight if it's a transformer machine. Has Hobart gone inverter too?

If looking at used machines... the model/size ratings used to be 'low' because they took after the 60% duty cycle. Nowadays they flaunt the 30% rating. Thus, a big old '160' machine is like a modern '210' or thereabouts.

IMO the Hobart 210 MVP is still the best “non-production shop” bang for the buck machine. Still transformer, around a grand, can run a spool gun, and while not lightweight, you can tote it out somewhere with flux core wire and a 110v extension cord. I welded A LOT of 1/4” stuff with a Hobart Handler 140 going turtle speed, I assume the 210 is about the same on 110V.

IMO the Hobart 210 MVP is still the best “non-production shop” bang for the buck machine. Still transformer, around a grand, can run a spool gun, and while not lightweight, you can tote it out somewhere with flux core wire and a 110v extension cord. I welded A LOT of 1/4” stuff with a Hobart Handler 140 going turtle speed, I assume the 210 is about the same on 110V.

Unfortunately, not a lot of hobart dealers in Oahu, very small market.

Quietly welding in the corner with my 8+ yr old Miller inverter machine that ran 4+ hours a day for many years before retiring it to hobby use....

Granted it's not 20+ years old like the Miller 250 in the corner, but it's a hell of a lot smaller and pulls less amps.

How have parts been for those? Some of these machines cost more to repair than purchase. I would get irrational to pay for a ton of cash for a machine that's 2 days beyond warranty.

Unfortunately, not a lot of hobart dealers in Oahu, very small market.
Tractor Supply carries them, which is a big plus in a lot of areas. Looks like there is one in Hilo.

If you have a decent pad there, I’d go camp somewhere for a week and post up a thread here, offering your place as an “Air BnB“ so long as whoever stays there leaves you a BNIB 220V Mig welder in the living room when they leave.

I’d throw one in a cooler full of packing peanuts and check it under the plane. Vacation in Hawaii with the Mrs, shoot an Axis, spear a bunch of fish, leave welder, pack cooler, fly home, profit. :flipoff2:

If you’re rocking a trailer with 6 Jeep’s in the front yard on jack stands, I doubt the wife would be impressed or I’d be getting laid on our Hawaiian vacation.

Last edited:
How have parts been for those? Some of these machines cost more to repair than purchase. I would get irrational to pay for a ton of cash for a machine that's 2 days beyond warranty.

Haven't had a problem with any of my inverter machines, so haven't needed to order anything except consumables.

I’m leery of inverters based on the fact that the shop I worked in had ~7 Miller dynasty’s and at any one time, 2 were in the shop. A few times the cost to replace boards was more than half the cost of a new machine. The transformer ones rarely had a problem.

I’m leery of inverters based on the fact that the shop I worked in had ~7 Miller dynasty’s and at any one time, 2 were in the shop. A few times the cost to replace boards was more than half the cost of a new machine. The transformer ones rarely had a problem.
was this shop near the bay/ocean? im scared of moisture fawkin up the circuit board so anytime it leaves the shop i make sure it gets put inside over night so it doesnt see any morning dew

was this shop near the bay/ocean? im scared of moisture fawkin up the circuit board so anytime it leaves the shop i make sure it gets put inside over night so it doesnt see any morning dew
Few miles away but never any moisture problems. Dinosaur transformer machines almost never had a problem and if they did, it wasn’t that much to fix them.

I had pretty much just used miller 135,180,211,251,252 non inverter types since I started welding. Been using one of the new multimatic 220 ac/dc dual voltage. Use it a fair amount and so far been as happy as I was with years of welding with their older non inverter migs. Pretty much just use the 220v unless I got to roll the welder to a truck in the yard, then the 110v option is pretty nice.

I have a Miller 211 transformer. It's been a great machine. Agree the auto set sucks.

Just added a transformer syncowave 200 for my tig learning.

I have a Miller 211 transformer. It's been a great machine. Agree the auto set sucks.

Just added a transformer syncowave 200 for my tig learning.

Did you intentionally buy a transformer Tig or was it used?

Did you intentionally buy a transformer Tig or was it used?
Used. One owner machine, well cared for and priced well.
20220207_132153.jpg

Used. One owner machine, well cared for and priced well.
20220207_132153.jpg
That's nice, even has a water cooler.

For a minute I thought you paid full price because you were scared of an inverter machine like the op.

That's nice, even has a water cooler.

For a minute I thought you paid full price because you were scared of an inverter machine like the op.
Nope, just looking used and it was priced right. Yes water cooler too. Just trying to learn at this point.

Top Back Refresh