What's new

Dual voltage welder - Millermatic 211 problems?

89Breaker

Around
Member Number
Looking for a dual voltage welder and if it can run on a 6k generator that's a bonus.

MM211: Was looking at the MM211 but saw several online posts where the board fried due to shop dust or just gave up the ghost.
Lincoln 210 and 180: Look like they might be the only real options around me.

I'm in Hawaii (Oahu) so no Harbor Freight and the used market (facebook, craigslist, etc.) are showing stupid prices for abused welders or basically new...including the price.
This leaves me with HD, Lowes, etc.

I'd like to MIG out the gate and TIG (AC/DC) later on as my skills increase; will use flux for most and gas later on.
Use is for my jeep build and around the house repairs like thin metal baker's rack.
So this means thin and up to 3/8s.

Not a pro by any measure but has to be durable and reliable.

Budget is around a $1,000

Last edited:
That is not gotta get you the machine you are asking for.

Would $1,500 do it or do I need to give up the TIG feature? I'm guessing that it is cheaper to add TIG feature than buy a separate machine.

The miller 215 (tig capable 211) is $2k and I assume the other brands with the same capabilities are near that price.

I've got one of the Miller Passports dual voltage welders. This is one of the "tiny" suit case styles.

It has run near perfect for over 20 years that I've had it... only issue was gun. I continually swap from 110 to 220 depending upon how lazy I'm feeling(pulling/swapping cords)

I'm not OCD on keeping it clean or not doing stupid things near it. I wouldn't hesitate to get another of the dual voltage setups. It wasn't cheap then... I want to say $2k.

I've had my MM211 11 years now. No issues. It's the non-inverter type.

fwiw my multimatic 215 works great on a cheap 7k watt generator, its only about a year old so cant comment on its durability/longevity

fwiw my multimatic 215 works great on a cheap 7k watt generator, its only about a year old so cant comment on its durability/longevity
Another vote for the 215...I've had mine for around 5 years and it's been rock solid. Then again, I am not doing daily fab, I'm still on my first 11lb spool in the machine.

Another vote for the 215...I've had mine for around 5 years and it's been rock solid. Then again, I am not doing daily fab, I'm still on my first 11lb spool in the machine.
ive gone through about 28lbs of flux core in it

Yes, there are airgas stores here and some local stores, not the normal variety of options and very little market pressure.

Throw the TIG feature away unless you’re going with one of the off brand Chinese units (not recommended, but they do work for some).

The Hobart 210 MVP is a dual voltage MIG that’s about as good as you’re going to get for $1k. It’s not inverter based so you shouldn’t have the board popping problems. You can add a spool gun and MIG weld aluminum also.

Hobart also just came out with the Multi Handler 200 that will do DC TIG for a few hundred more, but it’s not proven yet IMO.

Buy a separate TIG machine when you need it, switching leads, gas, etc is a pain in the ass and will keep you from using it on quick projects.

Look at the Hobart multi-handler 200.

It includes all the tig stuff and is $1330 instead of $2500 for the miller once you buy all the tig stuff.

I may buy one myself eventually.

As mentioned multiprocess machines only do DC tig, many think they're kinda a waste, but I'm not a tig guy.

I got my 211 on a pretty good sale and it was still $1300. $1k won't buy you much in the way you're looking.

I would have definitely went for the Hobart if the Miller wasn't on sale.

Have been running the Miller 211 inverter welders since they were released. On my 3rd one now, good little machines,

The first gen 211s were great, except the fan ran whenever it was turned on.

The second gen had a lower quality gun that didn't weld as smooth.

3rd gen had a better gun and the fan only ran when it was hot and was my goto welder for all the <1/4" MIG stuff.

Have the newest gen 211 in the box, haven't had a change to run it yet.

Have been running the Miller 211 inverter welders since they were released. On my 3rd one now, good little machines,

The first gen 211s were great, except the fan ran whenever it was turned on.

The second gen had a lower quality gun that didn't weld as smooth.

3rd gen had a better gun and the fan only ran when it was hot and was my goto welder for all the <1/4" MIG stuff.

Have the newest gen 211 in the box, haven't had a change to run it yet.
Did they quit on you, or were there other reasons for having 4 of the same thing?

Nope, never had one fail. I was using them in my old fab business and changed them out every couple years because I used the hell out of them.

Also got a pretty good deal on the newest models from Miller, too good of a deal to pass up.

The old ones were passed on to friends and they're still going today, though admittedly, they're not getting used more than a handful of times a year at their places.

I either get Miller or Lincoln in my shop

I have multiples of both, and am happy with both brands
same here.
before my new miller i ran hundreads of pounds of wire through my lincoln 180 for 11 years, besides changing cables/gun no problems and serves as my back up

I have a couple 251's, neither of them are bad, I have them set up for different processes
we run the shit out of them, they just keep trooping along

same here.
before my new miller i ran hundreads of pounds of wire through my lincoln 180 for ten years, besides changing cables/gun no problems and serves as my back up
My 251's I have it set up on a track cutter so it is semi automated, I can burn a 33# spool a day by myself with it
Summer when it gets hot, it will thermal out, but give it a second it will wake back up and get at it again
....but it is pinned on the amperage :laughing:

1638156036685.jpeg

We run 2 215's and 2 211's at work and they never miss a beat, the 251 only comes out for thicker than 1/4 stuff. FWIW, 2 Honda 2200s tethered together will run my 211.

Anyone have any tips on adjusting the settings on the 211? Seems to be my only complaint, it's very finicky.

It's not great, but if it's just quick and dirty, I'll just use the auto setting to save the frustration. :homer:

I really like my miller 211.... it welds amazing on 110v. I bought it exclusively so I wouldnt have to spend a lot of money on upgraded the garage amperage right now for 240....

Anyone have any tips on adjusting the settings on the 211? Seems to be my only complaint, it's very finicky.

It's not great, but if it's just quick and dirty, I'll just use the auto setting to save the frustration. :homer:

Are you running 110v or 220v?

I really like my miller 211.... it welds amazing on 110v. I bought it exclusively so I wouldnt have to spend a lot of money on upgraded the garage amperage right now for 240....

You think it runs good on 110v, wait until you can run it on good 220v.

Top Back Refresh