What's new

Dual battery tripping breaker

Vinman

Member Number
Loc
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I installed a second “house” battery in the back of my JL Wrangler. I have a constant duty solenoid that isolates them when the ignition is off. I used cables of a set of booster cables to connect them together with a 150 amp resettable circuit breaker at both ends of the positive cable. (My thought process for dual breakers is if a short occurs mid cable it would protect both batteries).
Currently the only thing I have running off the house battery is an ARB twin compressor.
A couple of weeks ago I had to use the winch and when I got home I noticed the breaker closest to the main battery had tripped. I chocked that up to either I forgot to reset it or the winching caused it, although I didn’t think winching would actually cause it to trip unless the main battery was extremely low and pulled power from the house battery.
Now yesterday, after wheeling I use the compressor to air up and once again, when I got home the same breaker had tripped, this time I know 100% it was not tripped before using the compressor.

Now I guess my question is should I use larger breaker(s) or say fawk it and use none?

I would say you probably need a larger breaker, and that having a breaker at each end of the wire is a good idea. 150 amps at 12 volts is not much power, I could easily see that much current when your solenoid turns on just to sync the two batteries.

Do you have a DC clamp meter?

I would say you probably need a larger breaker, and that having a breaker at each end of the wire is a good idea. 150 amps at 12 volts is not much power, I could easily see that much current when your solenoid turns on just to sync the two batteries.

Do you have a DC clamp meter?

Thanks, I ordered a couple of 300 amp breakers and will give them a try.
I do have a clamp meter, I’ll have to check if it reads DC.

Thanks, I ordered a couple of 300 amp breakers and will give them a try.
I do have a clamp meter, I’ll have to check if it reads DC.

Thinking about your setup, you may also consider no fuses or breakers, but simply a second continuous duty solenoid (one at each battey). Even the 300 amp breakers may nuissance trip, and even if they don't, 300 amps can burn/do damage anyway.

The solenoids would be off when the truck is off, and if something started smoking while running you can simply deenergize the solenoids.

Top Back Refresh