What's new

DT530 opinions?

larboc

Limestone cowboy
Member Number
Loc
Da yoop
Any thing to look for/run from on a 330hp dt530 in a 2003 international? I know nothing about them. Internet says they are like a bigger dt466 which in 2003 I would assume means "E" which I've heard unkind things about. Looking to purchase this truck specifically.

That's the IH engine that you want. Not the 466. Makes good power. Still on the small side to help fuel mileage.

Pay attention to the service records and let that be the judge on if you buy it or not. What you will get for a response is just personal opinions and heresay.

They are not popular with fleet buyers because of the fuel consumption and cost. So you usually see them in fire trucks, or rv haulers.

That's the IH engine that you want. Not the 466. Makes good power. Still on the small side to help fuel mileage.

Pay attention to the service records and let that be the judge on if you buy it or not. What you will get for a response is just personal opinions and heresay.

They are not popular with fleet buyers because of the fuel consumption and cost. So you usually see them in fire trucks, or rv haulers.
this.
I wouldn't be scared of the "E" motors either.
Nobody wants them because you can't just turn the screws on the pump, but there's nothing unreliable about it.
it's HEUI just like 7.3 powerstrokes were.

Nothing wrong with a 466, either.

If it says e behind it you will need to take it to international or spend some coin on software to deal with the electronics

I believe those can be reflashed all the way up to 500hp from the factory.

Edit: Nope, 350 is max power for that engine. Weak.

Our FD has a tanker with that engine. It’s unbelievably underpowered with 3000 gallons of water on it. It can’t maintain 60 mph on the hills around here, which are not large hills. The IH dealer says it’s turned up as far as it can go. Dependable, but very weak.

I believe those can be reflashed all the way up to 500hp from the factory.

Edit: Nope, 350 is max power for that engine. Weak.
designed to be flogged by people that think the throttle pedal is binary and that gauges are a foreign language.

mostly my experience is with older mechanical dt466's in farm equipment, but they're tough little motors and I wouldn't be scared as long as it wasn't horribly abused.

Someone get ahold of Mike Belben. He is hands down the world’s expert on exactly how much abuse a DT can take.
I think he left the old place and never came over here.

Someone get ahold of Mike Belben. He is hands down the world’s expert on exactly how much abuse a DT can take.
I think he left the old place and never came over here.

He took his ball and went home after getting some shit over dot impounding his truck/trailer.

The “blue” DTs were some of the best engines International ever built. I wouldn’t be afraid of it.
Not the very best but definitely the best computer controlled engines International built.

You should be able to download ServiceMaxx 1708 for free to a laptop and then get an adapter like a Nexiq so you can diagnose it. They don't have alot of issues unlike a 2012 Maxxforce DT in a rear engine bus I was cussing at today.:mad3:

Not the very best but definitely the best computer controlled engines International built.
In the 70s and 80s Cat wished they had an engine as good as the DT466 for that size and cubic inch. The 3306 was a great engine but not made for busses and small farm trucks. John Deere had a 466 that copied the DT.
The tractor pullers today are still using the technology that they built from the DT 466. 1000 hp on a stock crank was normal.

ANGRYBLACK the Midwest farmers loved the DT466.:beer:

Reactions: DMG
In the 70s and 80s Cat wished they had an engine as good as the DT466 for that size and cubic inch. The 3306 was a great engine but not made for busses and small farm trucks. John Deere had a 466 that copied the DT.
The tractor pullers today are still using the technology that they built from the DT 466. 1000 hp on a stock crank was normal.

ANGRYBLACK the Midwest farmers loved the DT466.:beer:
The best engine that International built is a DT466 with a P pump! And it didn't have much competition.:beer:

I bought a 1997 school bus from my work with a P pump DT466 just for the engine, last of the mechanical engines for International.

Bringing this to the top. We just retired a tanker from our fire department and turned it into a dump truck with a snow box. It’s insanely slow. How do I turn the pump up on it? It’s a 2003 7400 with a DT530.

Bringing this to the top. We just retired a tanker from our fire department and turned it into a dump truck with a snow box. It’s insanely slow. How do I turn the pump up on it? It’s a 2003 7400 with a DT530.
In 03 it probably requires a computer at the dealer

Auto trans?
My experience is the auto trans trucks always feel slower..

Our FD has a tanker with that engine. It’s unbelievably underpowered with 3000 gallons of water on it. It can’t maintain 60 mph on the hills around here, which are not large hills. The IH dealer says it’s turned up as far as it can go. Dependable, but very weak.
I run a 5000 gallon tanker with a DT466 and 4 speed auto. Good thing it's watering streets cause the fire would be cold by the time I got there.
60mph.... sure, empty... and barely.

In 03 it probably requires a computer at the dealer
And then they're gonna tell you it needs upgraded internal parts before they flash it.
Probably.
Call the local ih dealer with the vin and they can tell you.

Navistar tech for 10+ years here the engine has 2 weak points make sure that you keep the cooling system in good condition if you over heat it it will score a cylinder usually #5. If the cylinder head is ever off make sure the lifter keepers are double stacked. The dog bones can break causing a lifter to spin taking out the cam. Other than that it’s the same as a 7.3L. Same fuel system. It is wet sleeved and can be in framed pretty easily in about 2-3 days if you know what your doing.

Attachments

• IMG_2985.jpeg
    IMG_2985.jpeg
    209.2 KB · Views: 1
Auto trans?
My experience is the auto trans trucks always feel slower..
Could also be geared weird. Had one that would run 95 or more (95 was where it swaye too much so I backed off) but it took forever to get there. Once gears were switch it was 100% different truck. We got 75-78mph out of it but it got there fast

Reactions: IGT
And then they're gonna tell you it needs upgraded internal parts before they flash it.
Probably.
Call the local ih dealer with the vin and they can tell you.
Probably won't flash it. It's emissions that will keep them from doing anything. I work at a Navistar dealer and you don't do anything that changes the factory emissions unless it's approved by the manufacturer.

Probably won't flash it. It's emissions that will keep them from doing anything. I work at a Navistar dealer and you don't do anything that changes the factory emissions unless it's approved by the manufacturer.
Yeah that's probably the deal these days with the EPA being real aggressive. I can understand. Nobody wants to catch a 50k fine for flashing a truck.

And when you flash the ECM it keeps a record of it and uploads it to Cummins or Navistar with your ID number so not something a smart tech is going to risk.

Top Back Refresh