What's new

Drywall for the ceiling of a 25'x25'?

Drywall is easy... does it suck though? The answer is always YES.

:flipoff2:

20171015_203741.jpg

20171022_150515.jpg

20171103_131146.jpg

20171122_105418.jpg

20180326_174125.jpg

20200906_172409.jpg
20200817_172323.jpg

I did my entire house and shop... Fawk paying 15 grand to get someone else to do it when my old ass is capable. :flipoff2: I'm to stupid for that nonsense.

I'm debating a wall-mounted opener now. Since I have a low ceiling already it might be nice to get that thing out of the bay....
Depending on the opener brand (and it probably doesn't matter) they can be offset up to 4'. As long as your doors balanced I don't see why it couldn't go over even more. I have mine over 4' on one of the 10' wide doors to clear the lift and it works just fine.

Generally you want to stager the ends of the boards and not have them all lined up like that. I know its a garage, but that seam is going to stick out and probably pop at some point. My ceiling is just shy of 13' so I had to buy the taller lift section that made loading the sheets not much fun. With 12' 5/8 rock it was a 3 person job. 1 person on staging, two people to load, and one of those going up on a ladder to help secure the board.

I did 5/8" fire rated on my garage ceiling because the living space is above it. I dropped the door hanger brackets and then lagged them back up through the sheetrock into the truss. Mine magically land on a truss, but I cheated with a stud find to be sure.

I just installed wall mounted openers on mine and they are awesome. Easy to install, quiet, but expensive.

Edit: and if you don't have experience/the right tools to tape it, just hire a sheetrocker who needs cash on the weekend. Their Busch light and twisted teas dont pay for themselves.

Generally you want to stager the ends of the boards and not have them all lined up like that. I know its a garage, but that seam is going to stick out and probably pop at some point.
yup
drywall don't seem structural when you're jamming screws in it, but it adds a lotta rigidity against racking

Only reason I could see using drywall instead of plywood is the fire prevention.

Edit: and if you don't have experience/the right tools to tape it, just hire a sheetrocker who needs cash on the weekend. Their Busch light and twisted teas dont pay for themselves.
This. For sure.

I all the tools and half of the know how and I would hire a finisher

I paid him $30/ hour to do drywall while I was making $45/hour framing. :smokin:

Drywall is a pain in the ass, I just did my first DIY job last year and it's still not done. That being said, I would do it again but I wouldn't try to scab in sections like I did in my office and basement stairwell. I also put on way too much mud... I don't have calculations but I used at least 4KG worth of mud in a 10x8 room doing a wall, ceiling and ceiling in the stairway.

Repairing someones previous half ass reno was more time consuming than tearing it out and starting fresh. It would have cost more but I'd have a better finished product.

flecker; that last shot in the second story... is that above the garage? Looks like a cozy office!

Update, I got carried away....

1656445876265.png

Overhead sanding was too much for me. I ended up aggravating some tendonitis in my arms and had to take a month off from lifting anything. When I started feeling better I went back to sanding, angered the tendons again and had to take a month off, again. I decided that it was getting textured. As mentioned earlier my lack of staggered joints made a spine of mud down the center of the garage and some of my tape lines look bad even under the texture. Some people I trust to be honest say I'm overreacting, but I see it and it really stands out in pics. it's not as ugly in person.

I am VERY happy with my joints on the walls though. After spraying a coat of satin sheen scuff-x paint the joints dissappeared. I probably should have put a second coat of paint on the walls, but live and learn.

1656446242164.png

I was looking at work bench and cabinet options but nothing was really grabbing my interest. Modern metal cabinets feel like foil stretched over a flimsy frame. To me they weren't worth the money. I starting thinking about what I could build when I remembered the 50's style steel cabinets that were popular back then. They were probably stout, right?

After a few months of searching the classifieds, being too late or too aggressive with offers I found the set that was damn near perfect for me. Mostly great shape, no real rust or dents, just some dark red paint that was brushed on so thick that it resembles wood grain. Whoever painted these must have loved them or had some serious OCD. Every single surface of every cabinet is painted.

'someday' I'll sand them down and paint them with a base clear. either a metallic red or white pearl. For now they are set in place while I hunt for a few more wall cabinets.

as an added bonus my 1953 kitchen matches my 1954 International Harvester refrigerator quite well. :grinpimp:

1656446627231.png

1656446662803.png

1656446710478.png

1656446763788.png

Looks great! My dad had similar '50s cabinets in our garage/shop when I was a kid. They were split pea soup green though and held up through many racecar builds.

Don't stress about the ceiling, the fact that you actually finished the job and painted puts you above 90% of the garages and shops out there. Amazing how many are just taped and they gave up. And there sure aren't many that have crown in them haha

clearly just because crown molding is easier than taping corners :flipoff2:
I found them to be easier, but the real reason is experience. I have a few rooms in the cabin where I want to add crown moulding. I wasn't confident that I would be able to make clean joints, so I wanted to make my mistakes somewhere it wouldn't matter.

I'd do molding over taping ceiling corners every day of the week.

Lately been seeing FBMP ads for $20/sheet for tape, mud and sand. Guess the housing slowdown is started. That sounds like a bargain to me for someone else to deal with it.

Technically you still don't have any experience running/cutting crown molding.
Square cuts and corner blocks sorta detracts from the look of crown molding

Cabinets look good!

I'd do molding over taping ceiling corners every day of the week.

Lately been seeing FBMP ads for $20/sheet for tape, mud and sand. Guess the housing slowdown is started. That sounds like a bargain to me for someone else to deal with it.
I find doing corners with tape and mud FAR less time consuming and easier than moulding myself... I rarely ever sand drywall.

I also am diggin the cabinets! :grinpimp::beer:

Technically you still don't have any experience running/cutting crown molding.
Square cuts and corner blocks sorta detracts from the look of crown molding

Cabinets look good!

It's funny how different opinions can be on that. I think mitered inside corners on crown gives a "pricepoint" look. I like outside corners being mitered, but I don't have any in the shop or house to do.

Thanks on the cabinets, I absolutely love them. If this log home didn't have custom cabinets that match the house I'd be redoing my kitchen with them. I already warned my wife that we'll be taking them along if we move. :lmao::flipoff2:

that sink is awesome. Entire setup turned out great.
I really wish I had plumbing in this shop to make that sink useful. My neighbor is trying to convince me to put a hose bibb on the outside of the wall and a 5 gallon bucket under the sink. Then run a hose from the house to the new hose bibb. I'd only have water in the summer, and I'd need to empty the bucket manually, but it beats coming inside when filthy to wash up. When I have the rest of the cabinets I want I just might do it.

There's a creek nearby, that makes me leery of a french drain. My septic is uphill from the shop and a pump hardly seems worth it, plus I don't want more strain on that system. I'd need to trench under my paved driveway, across my geothermal and drain fields to get water out there. That isn't all that appealing to me either. Maybe "someday".

I really wish I had plumbing in this shop to make that sink useful. My neighbor is trying to convince me to put a hose bibb on the outside of the wall and a 5 gallon bucket under the sink. Then run a hose from the house to the new hose bibb. I'd only have water in the summer, and I'd need to empty the bucket manually, but it beats coming inside when filthy to wash up. When I have the rest of the cabinets I want I just might do it.

There's a creek nearby, that makes me leery of a french drain. My septic is uphill from the shop and a pump hardly seems worth it, plus I don't want more strain on that system. I'd need to trench under my paved driveway, across my geothermal and drain fields to get water out there. That isn't all that appealing to me either. Maybe "someday".
I'll give you $3.50 for the sink. :p

I'll give you $3.50 for the sink. :p
I bought a scout in California I need to pick up soon. I should be headed out to Bink's Fabrication in Salida (Modesto) at the end of the month with an empty trailer. I'll take $3.50 plus fuel for it! :flipoff2::flipoff2:

Currently, my plan is to shove that heavy MF'er into the shop's attic until I put up a bigger building that I can use it in. Being this close to Youngstown Ohio means the sinks aren't all that uncommon around here, but the base cabinets are a bit harder to get. I've seen a few sinks w/o cabinets pop up on marketplace for about $100. If you really want one and are willing to meet me on my route I could keep an eye out.

I bought a scout in California I need to pick up soon. I should be headed out to Bink's Fabrication in Salida (Modesto) at the end of the month with an empty trailer. I'll take $3.50 plus fuel for it! :flipoff2::flipoff2:

Currently, my plan is to shove that heavy MF'er into the shop's attic until I put up a bigger building that I can use it in. Being this close to Youngstown Ohio means the sinks aren't all that uncommon around here, but the base cabinets are a bit harder to get. I've seen a few sinks w/o cabinets pop up on marketplace for about $100. If you really want one and are willing to meet me on my route I could keep an eye out.

you're 180 miles away - I'm assuming you're driving a Prius....
sold! :flipoff2:

you're 180 miles away - I'm assuming you're driving a Prius....
sold! :flipoff2:
Yeah, the new Ram Prius! the white box behind it is just the extended range battery pack, right. :flipoff2:

If you ever want to disappoint a group of people try this. Park at the entrance of Bonneville with an enclosed trailer, then never open the trailer. :laughing:

1657206806019.png

Yeah, the new Ram Prius! the white box behind it is just the extended range battery pack, right. :flipoff2:

If you ever want to disappoint a group of people try this. Park at the entrance of Bonneville with an enclosed trailer, then never open the trailer. :laughing:

1657206806019.png
Pffff.. cummins gets 36mpg while towing...:flipoff2:

i have water (and heat) in my barn. my shop sink drain is just plumbed thru the wall onto the ground. i'm very careful not to put anything in the sink that i don't want in my well water, same for any drain in the house. the sink sees nothing that a hose washing of my hands wouldn't see. the small bottle of dawn dish soap is no more than washing a vehicle in the driveway a couple times a year.

though i'm a couple hundred feet from any neighbors, both sides had little girls, so i found this urinal on craigslist. it's a freaking wonderful thing... i smile every time i use it. it's sort of like peeing outside, just with more water to flush it

urinal.jpg

Poke sink drain through wall.
Let nature work its magic.

Top Back Refresh