What's new

Drove through knee deep water without fender liners [ecodiesel]

mawler

Member Number
And it got my MAF so wet the motor wouldn't rev. There was clearly water in the intake so now I'm worried there is water in the oil I ended up having the JT towed home.

I checked the oil cap and it is milky underneath. However, I checked the oil filter oil and left it in the freezer. None of it freezes.

What are the chances there's no significant water in the motor and an oil change takes care of everything?

Where is the air intake on those?

Milky underneath the oil cap doesen't mean you just got water into your engine. How long since your last oil change? Is the sump oil milky?

I had to look up what a JT was.

$65k for a Jeep... i bet those are flying off the shelf! Haha.

There's 2300 miles on the jeep, this is still factory oil. The intake is on the drivers side touching the hood.

The jeep has been able to idle this entire time. It just wouldn't rev past 1500 rpm until the maf was dried out. I got a tow home because I wasn't sure of the oil's water content and my alternator seized....but that's another story.

I guess in the end my question is moot because I have to drain the oil tomorrow regardless. I'm just hoping that if there's no apparent water in that oil then there's no internal damage.

Knee deep and got in your MAF? Either it was deeper than that or you were splashing through trying to look cool. I'm amazed at how many people buy a new jeep and immediately take it into deep water without knowing the ramifications. If you got it that deep, did you get any breather tubes under water for your trans, transfer case or axles?

Popular as shit since they came out. I don't get it, especially without a two door version and no real towing ability.

Knee deep and got in your MAF? Either it was deeper than that or you were splashing through trying to look cool. I'm amazed at how many people buy a new jeep and immediately take it into deep water without knowing the ramifications. If you got it that deep, did you get any breather tubes under water for your trans, transfer case or axles?

Betting they don't know breather locations and for what breathers are. Agreed on new jeepers.

at the end of the day there’s only a few things to do… change all your fluids and send it. Or go cry to Jeep and get raked over the coals.

Even if someone responded definitively “you got significant about of water in the engine” what would you do?

Reactions: Clb
if the maf got wet enough to keep it from running..... you have bent rods / and a cracked piston or two. Hopefully you will get lucky and someone will steal it.
Breaking.Bad_s04.e07-02905.jpg

hey thanks for the help and panic guys

drained the oil and there was no water at all in it. Charged the battery and now its good.

does it crank? does it start?
Pull the MAF dry it out, dry the intake, if it does run
put a new air filter in it
that did it

just also had to charge the battery
Where is the air intake on those?

Milky underneath the oil cap doesen't mean you just got water into your engine. How long since your last oil change? Is the sump oil milky?
above the driver wheel well, but the opening faces the side of the hood

coming from the 90s, when everything was blowing their headgaskets, I always assume the milkiness was a death sentence so I panicked.

they are and I don't know who's paying for them. I got the cheapest diesel I could find and offered 10% less than msrp.
Alternator didnt last 2300 miles?
I took it off, turned it by hand, reinstalled. It is charging at 14v now after letting the vehicle sit disconnected for a night and charging the batteries.
Definitely went too fast for fear of getting stuck. There was no one around. JTs have breather tubes ran up to the body; jeep cites ~31 inches of "water fording".
damn thats a rough 2300 miles
you should see your mom
Popular as shit since they came out. I don't get it, especially without a two door version and no real towing ability.

Betting they don't know breather locations and for what breathers are. Agreed on new jeepers.
JTs have these nicely placed, but I'll probably run them higher now tbh

my jt has a towing limit of 6500lbs. That's enough for me. I just want to tow a 4k-5k lbs camper with wdh and brake control.
why were the fender liners out?
new fenders installed to clear 37s. New fender liners on the way.
Real hardcore thread guys, thank you.

you're welcome and thanks for the support. Please like and hit that subscribe button if you haven't already.
at the end of the day there’s only a few things to do… change all your fluids and send it. Or go cry to Jeep and get raked over the coals.

Even if someone responded definitively “you got significant about of water in the engine” what would you do?
yeah exactly. I'm just happy there wasn't any water in the oil at all, that really takes care of any uncertainty.
You pulled the oil filter and put it in the freezer, but didn't bother to drain the oil. Then make stupid posts online.

:homer:
ive never frozen an oil filter in my life.
if the maf got wet enough to keep it from running..... you have bent rods / and a cracked piston or two. Hopefully you will get lucky and someone will steal it.
Breaking.Bad_s04.e07-02905.jpg
no one said it was hydrolocked lol. Oil pressure was good and it kept running with no additional nvh.

Last edited:
I think the OP should grow a ponytail and join Eddie at Wayalife.
that's too fucking far

you think that's funny? You think its okay to insult another man's ponytail while you sun your scalp in hopes you can thicken your mullet? I've got news for you. Even if you go outside you'll never reach the majestic heights of the Steven Segal of jeeps. You're done, this is the end of the trail, you've got two wheels up and no more fat chicks for ballasts.

I love seeing all the mall crawlers think they are cool for bombing through puddles :lmao:

WTF do fender liners have to do with deep water crossing?

Top Back Refresh