What's new

Drop out third member cleaning after break

Mr Stubs

Taste my rainbow, bitches
Member Number
Loc
Land of liquid sunshine
So I broke a rear semi float shaft (not a clean break) last time out and drove out and down to the trailer. My rig has a spool in the rear.

Whats your guys option on the third?

My anal part tells me to completely tear it down and clean it. But the lazy part of me thinks that I should just hose it out with brake clean and call it good.... I mean the bearings and shit already got a healthy dose of metal shit running through it during the drive home.

Its in my crawler, not a DD. What say you?

Brake clean and compressed air

Copy that

84CD1810-46EF-44F8-9A40-1BD376BB3312.jpeg

I'll be that other guy. Wouldn't any little metal bits that may be hiding in the bearings want to continue doing their damage once it rolling again? You already have it pulled and sitting in a vice..........................do you want to take a chance of doing that all over again to fix what you could fix now? You wont be so happy with yourself at that point.

Do it right cause you know what right is.

I'd at least flush the bearings out, pull the pinion seal and pour oil through them while turning the pinion. Blast out the carrier bearings with brake cleaner and oil them up as well.

I would wash as you plan then run it till it's hot and drain/refill. Do you have a magnetic plug?

I use starting fluid to clean parts. Makes brake cleaner seem like water.

I'll be that other guy. Wouldn't any little metal bits that may be hiding in the bearings want to continue doing their damage once it rolling again? You already have it pulled and sitting in a vice..........................do you want to take a chance of doing that all over again to fix what you could fix now? You wont be so happy with yourself at that point.

Do it right cause you know what right is.
Problem is I am that guy...

Ill end up with a new set of bearings if I tear down the third that far. I already know that the bearings are beat as fuck...

A set of bearings isn’t worth a ruined trip even if it is a local trip.

How often do you wheel?

not nearly enough anymore, so that is why i'd go with the gear oil, brake clean, regular thin oil, brake clean (well carb cleaner smells better to me), and then air...load it up and go wheeling again.

the magnets probably go the big chunks and the thin sparkly stuff isn't enough to matter. plus, if a bearing shits the bed, it isn't like you are going 160 mph on a racetrack with a dude 3' away from you....and you probably have a drop in trail spare diff anyways

you'll have it open to replace a worn out ring/pinion before those bearings shit the bed, even if half full of sand :flipoff2:

despite having no oil at all and getting stupid hot and broken, i probably could have reused these bearings for a while. There were just discolored as all fuck, but not pitted or damaged from the shrapnel in the case. severe lack of oil? yeah that was a problem. Keep in mind, the guy i got this axle from also claimed he didn't have any issues with it and just did a 2 day weekend wheeling trip before taking his rig apart

IMG_2465.JPG

IMG_2466.JPG

IMG_2467.JPG

the bearings are pretty tolerant to crap

Lol...

Crawlin’ tomorrow and Friday before the weather turns over the weekend.

A bearing set is probably around $75-100....

I’ll let you know if I fucked myself:flipoff2:

I just remember when I went through this exact situation with a broken axle shaft. I ended up wasting a set of bearings and my gear guy was wtf went though everything? I was like I thought I cleaned it out good enough.

You have to remember I’m a Jeep guy we don’t wheel just wave.

I just remember when I went through this exact situation with a broken axle shaft. I ended up wasting a set of bearings and my gear guy was wtf went though everything? I was like I thought I cleaned it out good enough.

You have to remember I’m a Jeep guy we don’t wheel just wave.
Oh, lol..,,

Thought you were a Ford guy....:flipoff2:

Jesus no, my thirds are way to bastardized for me to want a spare. Well, that and the fact that they don’t break.

figured just another cut up spool on cheap gears would live on the trailer.

but, good to hear that you aren't having issues with them!! you provide me slight glimmers of hope that i'm not (completely) wasting my time with the 9.5 chunk

figured just another cut up spool on cheap gears would live on the trailer.

but, good to hear that you aren't having issues with them!! you provide me slight glimmers of hope that i'm not (completely) wasting my time with the 9.5 chunk
Asian Won Tons? No problem here...

Could be the 35 spline spool or the load bolt, I’m not sure...

All I know is they hold up to reds, water, 50* steering, 35 spline Spidertrax shafts, CTM joints, and all the undercut tire wedging abuse that goes along with them.

All I know is they hold up to reds, water, 50* steering, 35 spline Spidertrax shafts, CTM joints, and all the undercut tire wedging abuse that goes along with them.

yup, i'll be heavier than you, but also with a smaller tire and less grip, plus a bit more overhang so probably not as bad of wedges.

When was the last time anything with a 9.xx diameter ring gear was a won ton axle? 1982? :laughing:

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh