What's new

Driveshaft Spline Question

TTMotorsports

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Lucerne Valley, CA
OK so I got some parts to build a new 1410 driveshaft and the slip I had wasn't long enough to account for the plunge I was getting. So I ordered a new slip yoke piece and it's longer which is what I needed BUT it has a 1.5x16 spline like my other one but the problem is it has a blind spline. Now if My driveshaft male splines was missing 1 spline it would work perfectly. I found new splines that have this part machined into it BUT i don't want to spend another $100 for this when I could in my mind grind one of the splines off on the male splines I have and it would work perfectly. What do you guys think about that or should I just spend the $100 for correct one right now? Thanks.

here's is some photos.

20210728_223243.jpg
20210728_223234.jpg
20210728_223220.jpg

Trail rig? Race rig? Sounds like a pain to grind it but I bet it would be fine for a trail rig. Just try not to get into the other splines...

Yeah this is just a play toy and i'll get a new grinder wheel and take my time to hit just that one spline. Or I will take the shaft to a local machine shop and see how much they would charge to mill that one spline off since it wouldn't take much with a small end mill.

OK so I got some parts to build a new 1410 driveshaft and the slip I had wasn't long enough to account for the plunge I was getting. So I ordered a new slip yoke piece and it's longer which is what I needed BUT it has a 1.5x16 spline like my other one but the problem is it has a blind spline. Now if My driveshaft male splines was missing 1 spline it would work perfectly. I found new splines that have this part machined into it BUT i don't want to spend another $100 for this when I could in my mind grind one of the splines off on the male splines I have and it would work perfectly. What do you guys think about that or should I just spend the $100 for correct one right now? Thanks.

knock a spline off, ensure everything works, plan on making a spare, in 4 yrs youll TKO it on a rock and realize you never made a spare and be upset.

The master spline is originally there to ensure if you ever have the slip apart, it can only go back together with the ujoints in phase.

When choosing a spline to grind off, try to choose the one that phases the joint best (unless this shaft has a double cardan at the tcase in which case it doesn't care, hammer down). You would be extremely lucky to get it perfect just based on the random angle the male spline was most likely welded to the driveshaft tube, so it kinda is what it is regardless

Driveshaft isn't made yet so I will make sure they know about that so when they weld it together it is phased correctly.

Mailed off the parts to gozuki who is kind enough to mill it off for me.

Thanks Irate4x4 just like the days when pirate4x4 wasn't ran into the ground but by people who cared about the offroad industry not just $$$

Top Back Refresh