What's new

Drive shaft woes...

docj88

'Splain this to me again
Member Number
Loc
Texas!!
I'm needing to stretch my drive shaft by about 6". I'm pushing the rear axle back a touch to give more wheel base. I thought it was gonna be a simple re-tube and balance but the shop said they couldn't get the tube and would have to build a whole new shaft around 3110 joints and 2.5" tube. Something along the lines of $450. So, brain went into overdrive.. is the shaft size on the 2wd the same diameter as the 4wd? I'm thinking I can cut the front slip yolk off the 2wd shaft (at whatever lengh it needs to be) then weld the 4wd slip joint in, and then pay the $150 for the balancing.

If a driveshaft shop can’t get tube I’d find another shop. Shafts are the same diameter. Not sure why anyone would pay that much to have inferior ujoints installed in their driveshaft.

If a driveshaft shop can’t get tube I’d find another shop. Shafts are the same diameter. Not sure why anyone would pay that much to have inferior ujoints installed in their driveshaft.

worth repeating!
you NEED a real Honest vendor!
Never had an issue my guy could not fix.(even the fail gear sloppy shaft in the taco)!

Do your current axles require 1310 u joints is my first question. Id stick with the Yota ujoints as they are far superior.

Second question : Is this a pavement pounder or off road only vehicle? If off road only, get some sch 80 2.5"pipe, cut the ends off your current shaft, true it up in a jig or eyeball it good and weld it out. Ive built at least 4 shafts this way with great success. If not find another shop that source the correct material as previously stated.

Do your current axles require 1310 u joints is my first question. Id stick with the Yota ujoints as they are far superior.

Second question : Is this a pavement pounder or off road only vehicle? If off road only, get some sch 80 2.5"pipe, cut the ends off your current shaft, true it up in a jig or eyeball it good and weld it out. Ive built at least 4 shafts this way with great success. If not find another shop that source the correct material as previously stated.

It's not gonna be a daily driver, more of a farm truck/play toy. It will see highway miles though so I need it to be right. If it was gonna be a trailer queen I would just build square shafts and send it!

Id still build my own before running a loud ass Square shaft. And sure wouldn't pay anyone 450 for a driveshaft in a play toy but to each their own.

Reactions: Clb
Whose got the best DIY long spline parts these days? Would love to toss my square shaft.

For what it costs for a long spline kit you might as well spend a bit more and have one made.

You can buy all pieces off Amazon and get a length of tube from local steel supply. Take to machinist to machine a tight slip fit if your worried about highway use. Driveshaft shops are retards

I have a local gut that looks like he's been on fire and looks scary as hell, but does a great job.
Also I run Toyota joints cause I can fix it on the trail. If you build such a strong joint it moves to the next weak link. But I'm running a 22re, and am easy with the skinny pedal.

Seems like a real shop should be able to retube it.
So Cal.

Driveline service of Sacramento build what you need. But you need to know what you want. If research does not help you, I am out of beer and all of a sudden have some patience. I am jeremy black on assfacebook. Pm me.

Top Back Refresh