What's new

Drag tip vs drag shield vs?

fordguy

blah.
Member Number

Whats the pros and cons of the three styles of tips?

Also, I see an ipt-60 electrode with a .9 tip, but guides say to use a 1.1 tip with 60 amps

I purchased a drag tip for my Everlast plasma. I found I did not like it for cutting plate. Especially cutting along a fence for straight cuts.
I do think it would be useful cutting body panels though due to being smaller. The drag shield slots easily clog with slag which effected the cut.
I went back to using the standard tip and 2 legged style standoff guide.

I have drag tips for my hypertherm and it works well for me. It does get slag on it on long cuts, mostly in the channels not blocking the arc, but since it's copper it knocks off pretty quick.

2 legged standoff guides are better if you have the room to use them.

Non-drag tips are use with machine applications (CNC) or with two leg standoffs, that's it.

Guys, I am curious about the three types of drag tips/shields pictured - one is a drag tip, another drag shield, and the first is a drag tip without a shield at all?

Yes I know two legged standoff is best, but doesnt always fit where i need

Oh no, you definitely can, but when I've done it with regular consumables and no two leg stand, the consumables wear out super fast.
I just stick it on the steel and go, dunno? I've never noticed it killing tips.

Guys, I am curious about the three types of drag tips/shields pictured - one is a drag tip, another drag shield, and the first is a drag tip without a shield at all?

Yes I know two legged standoff is best, but doesnt always fit where i need
Well, the first one is an extended tip for use with stencils - as they say. It could also help depending on what else you may be using as a guide.

As for the other two, it looks like the drag tips just work with a normal shield while the other ones have a separate drag shield and normal tips and electrodes. The normal ones give you size options for different amperages - I don't know if the drag tips come in different sizes? I didn't see anything. The longer drag tips may work like the 911Motorsports ones for stencils or if you're using other guides. If you're wearing down the shields frequently, it may be more cost effective to use the drag tips and replace them more often?

With my Hypertherm, I replace the tip and nozzle frequently, the shields get replaced a lot less frequently, and the retaining cup only gets replaced if it is damaged. So a better comparison would be these two:
That's just the tip and nozzle in either normal or drag tip. You're paying a $10 premium for the drag tips over the normal ones. As I said, if you're wearing out drag shields and have to add in the cost of replacing them, maybe the drag tips make more sense. Otherwise, it would be a matter of whether the extended length of the drag tips were of value to you.

Top Back Refresh