What's new

Double car garage - door width

Thanks! It's still a long way to go to call it done..
I keep seeing used scissor lifts go for sale locally, I can't wait to move out and buy one :D

Anyway, some farm fab or fugly fab...call it what you like, seems good for how the rest of the tile cutter looks:

YVrULpk.png

ZXCy98k.png

I need to take it out of the house and weld all the seams, I don't want to stay inside and inhale that smoke. I think this might be the only time I will ever get to weld in the living room :lmao:

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. Awesome build.

Do those pits get pumps? Any concerns with water or flooding?
Are you putting in upward facing pit lighting?

The second vid actually has the blocks:

That was a cool video. Ton of work to form those pours, but you end up with a building that should be around for a looooong time with no maintenance.

Nice to be able to hand cut those bricks, like those mexicans making brick domes without any shoring and using their trowels to smash the bricks to shape.

brick.png

The regular work pit is only 4 feet deep, not very deep, that's the size I had previously and it works ok for me. I have power ran on both ends of the pit, so I will be able to wire up lights.
The old pit did not have problems with water, it was bone-dry for years, so I don't expect any issues.

The second pit is only 16 inches deep for the scissor lift. I should be able to install the lift hydro unit between the legs, in the pit. Wires for the controls (up, down, release) are all ran to a socket on a wall, so that will save some space.

I initially added drains to the bottom of both pits but stupidly I ran all the plumbing UNDER the foundation, about 3 feet deeper than the municipal plumbing system. Good thing for photos of the all plumbing, I managed to direct all pipes outside of the house without much effort.
The silver lining: when drilling for one of the pipes, I ran through some re-bar and later on connected the earth line there. It measured well within spec and it will be much much more corrosion resistant compared to pillars driven in the ground.

Carbide saw got denied when cutting the bricks I used.....

This is the lift I planned for:
3tP5b3G.png

There are single-scissor lifts and with my ceiling height it could also be ok and save some money:
SHH6peA.jpg

Wife said she wants two identical height adjustable desks in the office (we both work from home), so my current desk will be part of the work bench, hello adjustable work surface :smokin:

Tile cutting machine is complete!

tWdGyCB.png

Ly2o8yk.png

eqMp3A9.png

It cuts nicer than I could ever cut with the angle grinder and still cuts straight after lengthening it.

I need to modify two clamps, to clamp the tile to the table and to build two adjustable legs for the side support, to get it level with the table.

No more cutting tiles in the living room, boo :(

Z2MFD7l.png

With a ton of work at the job + a toddler with a bad cold I feel like I'm dragging my feet with the house build. I can get to work 1-2 hours at most daily :(

I've been thinking about where to put the hot water tank....

There is space on the floor but I thought about putting it above the "furnace".
Jaa4EXq.png

Two support legs with 4/4 inch pads on the ground, a platform made out of 5/32" steel, anchored to the wall. One anchor point to the top of the hot water tank.

The tank is around 200lbs empty and holds 420 lbs of water, so let's say 650 lbs total. The two support legs would transfer the weight to the floor and the anchor points on the wall would be there just to keep the tank from tipping over.

Am I crazy for thinking about this? The tank is 24 inches in diameter and 54 inches tall. There's plenty of space to get the anode out (it's mounted on the top)

I see no problem with the general plan.

Bonus points if you throw it inside a drip pan with a drain fitting running to the sink or whatever.

I can put a drip pan and there's a toilet on the floor below but I have to get the drain in the toiler reservoir, there's no way I can get it directly in the drainage system.

Tile machine needs work: the cutting disk bore is a tad over 1" (25.6mm), while the flange register is precisely 25mm. I thought I could get away with it but when cutting a 48"x48" piece of tile almost in half, the combined the curvature of the tile with raising the edge support too much and with the out of round movement of the disk, the tile cracked all the way after 8" of cut.

Pictures of the remanufactured disk holder/flange coming on monday, I dropped off the original flange to the machinist two days ago.

The joys of DIY'ing shit...

It's been a while, we moved at the end of August and kept making progress.
Eventually I decided against having the boiler high up for serviceability:
yC3VVpW.jpg

We spread crushed granite as foundation for the driveway and walkway, dug the wall foundations, temporarily installed the old gate on a piece of square tube, installed some temporary rebar mesh fence and even spread some grass seeds to make it look better until finishing the yard:
LQNLc7X.jpg

We had the doors installed in December and about a month ago we finished gluing the flooring in all the upstairs rooms.
B3bkkNN.jpg

Here's a nice thermal shot of an un-insulated wall (outside it was about 55F).
3ZG6M3e.jpg

Last weekend I managed to cut and install all the rest of the tiles to free up the Miata:
Ie2i4gK.jpg

I could not get into the car since February 2023 because the tiles were resting on the driver's door and after over 5 long years, the inheritance mess is finally done so I can register it and drive the damn thing.

Attachments

• Ie2i4gK.jpg
    Ie2i4gK.jpg
    882.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Top Back Refresh