What's new

Don't hate me....

DannyL

Member Number
Years ago when I had my 4x4 shop I built a little TJ to putts around with, It was a project that had a budget of $10k CDN. I found a cleanish 98 4 cylinder to build. I won't bore you with details but the tub is rotten, oh I mean ROTTEN. So I have a couple of Samurai's with no engines and I want to build one into a daily/trail truck on 35-36's. The TJ axles are both built with chromo's, Zip lockers and 5.38's. So my brain fart was swap the front 44 to a pass drop and use them. Then the TJ has a long arm and I think it could be retro fitted to work on the Samurai since the axle side is already done. I started comparing frame dimensions and I want a LWB Samurai with a pick-up style box so a stretch would be almost the exact same as a TJ give or take a few inches. So a friend of mine says "why don't you just put the whole running gear in it and save the trouble of doing the diff!" . The little 2.5L is a little heavy but worked very well in the TJ and the t-case is already 4:1.....
The TJ is having a bodyectamy and will be down to bare frame and gear by the end of the week and a bare Samurai frame is in the yard.

SOOOoooo go ahead, give it to me! 😁

Do eet, why not just graft/ stretch the Sami tub onto the Tj frame?

Do eet, why not just graft/ stretch the Sami tub onto the Tj frame?
I had cross my mind, but TJ frame are notorious for rot as well. The frame has had surgery already so it'll have to be evaluated as an option.

Sami frames are paper thin, just make sure that you check it over really well.

Sami frames are paper thin, just make sure that you check it over really well.

Thanks fr the heads up, but I have 25 Samurai's under my belt the first was in 1987 an 1984 SJ410 with 1L!

I'll be sure to reinforce strategic places to avoid problems.

I would try to use the TJ frame also.
After inspecting the TJ frame, it has suffered from it's life in the road salt capitol of the world!
I have the TJ down to the frame and running gear to take measurements and compare with the Samurai front frame.
It's not worth keeping the long arm that's on the TJ as it will be more work to retro fit than start from scratch.
The front has that funky long arm configuration, a 3 link would be the better way to go. I have tons of brackets, heim and Johnny Joints
so that's not a problem. I'm thinking 105 for the wheelbase.....

Top Back Refresh