What's new

Does the 4L60e 27 spline 2WD output shaft fit the Colorado transfer cases?

3nuts*

Wildly Uninteresting
Member Number
I'm in Aussieland, and if you didn't know, the TC options you have over there are hard to get and expensive here.

We've never ever had any Chev/GM 4x4's imported here.

Not one LSx powered 4x4.

I have an LS1 4x4 project. Budget project cos' I'm poor.
LSx's and 2WD transmissions are easy to get, and quite cheap.

I haven't got a transfer case, and been looking for months.
There are no 241c's and such over here, and if you find one it's $$$. Cheaper to get one sent over from there, and that's still bloody $$$.

We do have tonnes of Colorado transfer cases here. '12-up no worries, and cheap enough to replace when broken or for spares (which is really important).

Do all the 27 spline input models of those transfer cases fit the 2WD output shaft of the 4L60e?

I have the tranny in bits, and rebuilding it.
What is the length difference between the 2WD and 4WD shafts?

I can organise a custom fabbed TC to 4L60e adaptor to replace the 2WD tail housing (did I mention shipping $$$ $ucks balls?).

Vehicle is station wagon in length. Very close to Grand Cherokee dimensions. So close you couldn't tell the difference :p

Looks like this is an unpopular TC.

Are they weak, is it the electronic operation that makes them unappealing?

Unfortunately I have to thoroughly research all the rare possibilties here, then choose what to do.

Guess I'll be taking the output shaft I've got for drives around the country, checking the fit, before I throw out the idea.

I realised I tell a fib

We got a few of these

746 Imported
Hard to get parts for them

Capture.PNG

I read that 2WD 4L80 can easily be converted to 4WD, with only a tailhousing change and cutting it's output shaft shorter. Unsure if it's the same case with 4L60.

Yeah, many 4l80e trannys have long spines and can be mated to a 32 spline t case by cutting the shaft in the truck

I don't know about the Colorado 27 spline input, but if it's doable, you may be on to something, you cant be the only guy on your island that wants one, have 5 adaptors made instead of 1, it's not going to be that much more $

I read that 2WD 4L80 can easily be converted to 4WD, with only a tailhousing change and cutting it's output shaft shorter. Unsure if it's the same case with 4L60.

With the 4L60e 2WD version, it's easy to convert to 4WD.
You just need to change the longer factory 2WD output shaft, to the shorter factory 4WD shaft.
And then replace the factory 2WD tailhousing with the factory 4WD housing.
Then bolt on any one of a variety of common transfer cases...that you have over there.
We can't easily obtain any of those above components here.
There's no shorter shafts, no 4WD housings, no transfer cases.
Wellll, they're rare and $$$.

There are vss issues as well, but I don't want to make my replies too long.

Yeah, many 4l80e trannys have long spines and can be mated to a 32 spline t case by cutting the shaft in the truck

I don't know about the Colorado 27 spline input, but if it's doable, you may be on to something, you cant be the only guy on your island that wants one, have 5 adaptors made instead of 1, it's not going to be that much more $

I think I may be onto something as an answer to our particular situation over here.
Looks like I am going to have to drive a few hours here and there to check stuff.

There's three different Colorado cases after 2012.
All differing in mode control and spline counts.

The one I'm kind of desiring, with 4 hi full time, 4 hi part time, and 4low will need some microcontroller black box work. It's fully electronic and would need some custom programming to work how I want it to. That would be like making a stand alone harness for the LSx's and GM trannies you can buy now.

I hope others can chime in, because I'm sure someone smart knows their shit on these, and whether it's worth me going down this road or not.

I'm really keen to have a go at making a stand alone controller myself for it, but not worth the effort of buying one top play with, doing the elctronic work, and realising it's a shit transfer case :nuke:

-------------------------------------------------

There is a 23 spline adaptor to stcik a Jeep TC behind the GM 4L60e, but again it's mega $$$ and we've only got NV247 in cheap abundance here :frown:

I could ramble on for pages about all the pro's and cons of it all, but I should be working at the moment, just popped in

Interwebs is stating that the 04-12 colorados use the isuzu t150 transfer case. Electronic shift, 27 spline. Pull the emotor shifter off the case and make a manual linkage for it. I looked it up in the gm parts catalog and it calls for the same pn even behind the 5.3 trucks.

Interwebs is stating that the 04-12 colorados use the isuzu t150 transfer case. Electronic shift, 27 spline. Pull the emotor shifter off the case and make a manual linkage for it. I looked it up in the gm parts catalog and it calls for the same pn even behind the 5.3 trucks.

Thank you for the information, but as far as I can tell from the net, that model is US passenger side drop.

i need US driver's drop.

They must have changed in 2012 to the other side.

Can anyone clarify please?

Ahh, didn't realize you were looking at the newer colorados. Did you figure it out? Looks as though the holden versions use an AAM tcase, whereas here in the states they got a Magna mp1622 tcase. The AAM, looks to only be 2hi/4hi/4lo which is good. But to backtrack, when we went to the new model, (2012 for you, 2015 for the states) the tcase did switch to LH drop.

Ahh, didn't realize you were looking at the newer colorados. Did you figure it out? Looks as though the holden versions use an AAM tcase, whereas here in the states they got a Magna mp1622 tcase. The AAM, looks to only be 2hi/4hi/4lo which is good. But to backtrack, when we went to the new model, (2012 for you, 2015 for the states) the tcase did switch to LH drop.

I've been too busy to look into it further, but it’s at the top of my list

A work mate's Aussie 14' Colorado is in front of me here. It's raining too much to crawl under it and take pics.

Thank you for the AAM Vs mp1622 T case info.
I assumed we got the the same here.

I'll ring and drive around some places soon hopefully.

Top Back Refresh