What's new

Dodge/Mercedes Sprinter Camper/Adventure Van

DRTDEVL

Mothfukle
Member Number
Loc
Austin... TX? Nope. Minnesota!
OK, the crowd wants it, so here it is. I'll try to spend at least a few minutes every day getting the van story up to the current phase. Since there is a lot of text, but the pics are all on my phone, I'll try to edit pics into the text after posting each day. If that doesn't work, well... it might take forever to get this thread done.

It all started in February, when I stumbled across a 2005 Dodge Sprinter 140" wb SHC (Super High Ceiling) that was being sold for cheap. He wanted $1500, so I drove an hour away in the snow to check it out the day after it was listed. After giving it a quick look-over, I had enough fodder to negotiate the price further. The belt only had 2 ribs left, and one of the idler pulleys was broken. There were three bad glow plugs (its a 5-cylinder), the fuel filter looked ancient (change interval is 20k), and someone tried going through a low clearance entrance, caving in the front roof cap. I offered, low, he declined, I walked, and he called me back in and countered with $700, to which I agreed.
IMG_20210119_140214555_HDR.jpg

I came back the next day and put a spare belt and idler pulley on the van so I could drive it home. On the way home, it entered limp mode, but for $700, I didn't care.

I put the van on the backburner for a couple weeks, as I initially planned on fixing it and flipping it for a decent profit. I stumbled across a guy through a friend who runs an RV rental website that specializes in Sprinters. He has 16 Sprinters that stay rented all summer long for $189/night on up, and he is always looking for more. The idea stuck, and I decided to make this a camper van around the first of March.

The first item of business was to measure everything, and plan the layout. I then pulled the headliner to pop out the dent in the roof cap the best I could... it will be hit with a little filler and sanded down to get rid of the crease that remains. I then started ordering everything I would need, and began working on the mechanicals.
IMG_20210301_151907944_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210301_152201194_HDR.jpg

So far, I replaced the starter, radiator, A/C Condenser, A/C pressure line, water pump, cooling hoses, both idler pulleys, and the tensioner pulley. I also changed the oil, replaced the fuel filter, and serviced the transmission and rear end. I figured out the reason the belts were breaking (the replacement I put on was shredding within a couple hours) was the alternator's sprag clutch had failed and the pulley was cocked a bit off-center. Since I had the front end disassembled, I took care of some of the rust on the headlight surrounds for the core support. While I was in there, I also replaced the alternator and the turbo resonator with an aluminum eliminator kit.
IMG_20210407_141716865.jpg

Side note: For those who don't know, the vans were engineered to run nearly silently. This meant that Benz put a plastic muffler of sorts on the turbo outlet to silence the whistle, AKA the turbo resonator. The plastic seam for the end cap is a known failure point, hence the aluminum eliminator/delete pipe. I put these on dang near every van I touch for that little bit more reliability.

Story to be continued.

Last edited:
When deciding on the layout, I already knew how some of this would play out. Last year, I acquired a pop-up camper for free that had a totally rotten roof and bad canvas. I harvested all of the appliances out of it, and then gave it away for free to somebody who was going to make a utility trailer. These parts will definitely lower my overall expenses, as I have a working RV fridge, a hand pump sink, and a three burner propane cooktop to integrate into my design.
IMG_20210303_131250719.jpg

IMG_20210303_131345449.jpg

IMG_20210303_131349244.jpg

I've completely filled up my storage room with components I have purchase for this build. Inside this room, aside from the above listed appliances, there is a 700 watt retro microwave, a 1500 watt pure sine wave inverter with remote switch panel, all of the cabinetry, a butcher block countertop, a Mercedes grill conversion kit, Mercedes center caps, wiring and plumbing, outlets, switches, junction boxes, etc. etc. etc. There is also a decent car stereo, new dash speakers, a pair of 6x9s, and the enclosures for the 6x9s. I plan on making swivel mounts for them so they will point forwards when driving, but if you wish to have tunes outside of the vehicle, they will spin around and point out the back door. I also have a pair of Aquatainers... 7 gallon capacity. One will be fresh, the other grey, and both mounted under the sink. There are also a pair of vertical opening RV windows that will be on the sides of the van, just in front of the mural graphic. Although I am painting the van, I decided to keep that mural of the flag and an eagle with the text "Cruising America."

The tires are 245/75r16 Toyo A/Ts that are also destined for this van.

IMG_20210426_142646744.jpg

Last edited:
Is that one of those $160 fuel filters? Those things are fun to buy

I ran a 2019 sprinter with the v6 in it. That filter from Benz was up over 140 I think.

I keep my eyes open and try to buy in bulk whenever possible. I think this filter cost about $16 when I bought it. Usually they run between $40 and $50, though.
I would say the previous owner got there moneys worth.

This is gonna be a cool build.

Looking forward to this build.

I just picked up a 2009, V6, 17 seat bus which is getting converted to RV/toy hauler.

Overall length is 24 feet 1⅜ inches (converted from 735cm by the Googles)

c5121f_IMG_3772.JPG

Looking forward to this build.

I just picked up a 2009, V6, 17 seat bus which is getting converted to RV/toy hauler.

Overall length is 24 feet 1⅜ inches (converted from 735cm by the Googles)

c5121f_IMG_3772.JPG
You need these... $150/ea. Winnebago take offs damaged in transit to the dealers. Use 4 on the outside, keep 2 steelies on the inside.
IMG_20210325_133955907.jpg

A couple weeks ago, I had the local glass guy come and pull the windshield. He's on call for whenever I get it painted for reinstallation.

These vans are notorious for rusting through the "scuttle panel" (the one below the windshield), so I had the windshield pulled well in advance of paint in order to fix any issues before they become a problem. To my surprise, the scuttle was in pretty good shape. I am currently grinding all the rust out of it and will put a rust converter/sealer on the metal before priming and painting the van.
IMG_20210409_125539362.jpg

IMG_20210409_125545875.jpg

My rear quarters, however, didn't fare nearly as well in the Minnesota winters.
IMG_20210409_143520054.jpg

IMG_20210420_143102075.jpg

Patch panels from Mill Supply just came in the other day, so I can get to cutting them down and welding them in. There are 3 wheelbases of these vans, and they all have a different length panel behind the wheels. To save costs, they only stamp out the panel for the 158" model, the 140" (this one) and 118" models have to cut the center out of the panel and shorten it.
IMG_20210426_142725885.jpg

I also decided a while back to find another complete set of doors and replacement hood for the van, so I wouldn't waste weeks of my time cutting, grinding, and welding on the ones that came on this van. They are in exponentially better shape than the ones on my van, however, so I will move them to mine, recycle mine, and replace the doors with ones off of an old folk's home bus out of Texas.
IMG_20210426_095007635_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210426_095009966_HDR.jpg

I spent a couple hours yesterday pressure washing years of moss and dirt off of them. I still have to pull all the decals and badges and jumper the motor to remove the glass and weather stripping before paint.
IMG_20210426_100910089.jpg

IMG_20210426_101853284_HDR.jpg

That at 1500 would be a no duh deal around here. Those vans go for at least 6-8k around here even with limb mode engine, no front bumper, missing a rear door and 600k miles.

But we dont have rust and every hispanic family has at least 3 uncles with a painting/pumbling/carpet/etc business that wants one

Nice, that should be a fun project. Sadly Jiffy Lube just killed my T1N.....

What year? I happen to have a good running OM612 out of a 2003 for sale, complete from the EGR on the intake to the Turbo on the exhaust, and all the injectors in between.
04 2500 Dodge technically, but they are the same as far as I know.

Fast-forward to today... the parking brake doesn't work at all. I got underneath the van an found the compensator was rusted solid. I broke it free with oil, a torch, and a hammer, only to see the rear parking brake cables were crusty as hell, too. Since I can't get the drain plug out of the axle for servicing it, I decided to just swap the whole damned thing out. This will solve the sticking right parking brake shoe, the busted cables, the frozen compensator, and the inability to service the axle all at the same time.

I winched the parts van onto the trailer in order to have a solid surface from which to work (it was parked on the grass) I spent the afternoon torching, oiling, and beating the u-bolts before they broke free. Since this van isn't nearly as rusty as the other one underneath, I decided to get the project van up on stands, pull the rear wheels, and oil the crap out of the hardware overnight. I'll get back on it in the morning and complete the swap.
IMG_20210427_150214391.jpg

In the middle of the swap, though, I will be pulling the rotors and shoes from the camper van and putting them on another van I will be selling in the coming weeks. That one has serious grindage and rotor warp pulsing in the pedal. That will fix almost everything on that one (gotta do the basic baseline services and replace glow plugs and controller before it heads out the door).

I also mocked up a wheel off the parts van with the regular Dodge center cap and the Mercedes ones I had shipped in from Germany. I will be soaking the lug bolts in CLR and cleaning their heads up with my bench grinders wire wheel before final installation, so it won't look so ugly with those rusted bolts.
IMG_20210427_153458622_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210427_153520074.jpg

04 2500 Dodge technically, but they are the same as far as I know.
Same between makes? Yes. Same engine? No.

The 2003 is an OM612 and the 2004 is the OM647. They have the same block, yes, but the heads are slightly different, the intake manifold is different, and the earlier one uses a suction fuel system with the low pressure fuel pump being a mechanical unit on the front of the head, while yours has an electric pump in the tank.

All the Sprinters were manufactured in Dusseldorf. They were tested, then the drive trains and suspension removed for shipping to the US (thanks to the outdated Chicken Tax). They were reassembled and tested in South Carolina before heading to the dealers for sale. The first units were all Freightliners in 2002, then the Dodge nameplate was added. You could not get a Mercedes version in the US until the RV manufacturers demanded this variant for their upscale conversions, beginning in 2006.

Same between makes? Yes. Same engine? No.

The 2003 is an OM612 and the 2004 is the OM647. They have the same block, yes, but the heads are slightly different, the intake manifold is different, and the earlier one uses a suction fuel system with the low pressure fuel pump being a mechanical unit on the front of the head, while yours has an electric pump in the tank.

All the Sprinters were manufactured in Dusseldorf. They were tested, then the drive trains and suspension removed for shipping to the US (thanks to the outdated Chicken Tax). They were reassembled and tested in South Carolina before heading to the dealers for sale. The first units were all Freightliners in 2002, then the Dodge nameplate was added. You could not get a Mercedes version in the US until the RV manufacturers demanded this variant for their upscale conversions, beginning in 2006.
Well its gonna be a parts van for someone it seems..... 175-172psi of compression across the holes....

Seattle WA. Long long ways from you!
These vans are super popular up in the northwest. I would get a junkyard engine and toss it in there if I were you. $4,000 later, and you'll have a van that you can sell for a premium in a premium market. Right now, though, all non-runners are $1,200 or less in my book.

These vans are super popular up in the northwest. I would get a junkyard engine and toss it in there if I were you. $4,000 later, and you'll have a van that you can sell for a premium in a premium market. Right now, though, all non-runners are $1,200 or less in my book.
I agree, but that takes time and shop space that I don't really have...

How much you want for it? Pics? Mileage on chassis? I'll have to check freight quotes to see if its worth my while to get it shipped here.
288k, I can get pics if your serious.... IDK on price yet, there is a local sprinter guy who apparently buys dead ones. Its been a construction van for years FWIW :laughing: But not rusty as far as I can tell.

288k, I can get pics if your serious.... IDK on price yet, there is a local sprinter guy who apparently buys dead ones. Its been a construction van for years FWIW :laughing: But not rusty as far as I can tell.
I sent you a message... we'll continue this elsewhere and keep the thread for the build.

I haven't done anything to this van in over a week, I had to pause to finish a couple of other projects... the first being disassembling a couple parts vans and getting them out of the way.
Parts van 1 loaded.jpg

Its now off to the great junkyard in the sky, literally.

Parts van 1 in sky.jpg

Today, I am pulling the drivetrain out of the other parts van, loading it back on the trailer, and splitting the engine and trans. The engine is bad on the next one, but the trans is good (and I already have a buyer on the hook, waiting for it to hit the floor). After that, I am pulling the 2005 Dodge 140 HC I picked up last summer from back east and getting it's mechanicals up to snuff for resale. I already replaced the rear brakes (no material left, grinding through rotors), the ignition switch, and the fuse module under the steering column, so its safe to drive and runs damn good. Heck, it even starts every time now! I will be replacing the accessory drive components, viscous clutch, and water pump, then performing the turbo resonator delete, new serp belt, clean EGR, and fully service the engine, transmission, and rear end. If all goes well, that one will hit the market by Thursday, and I already have a couple people to contact who may want to pounce on it.

Anyway, next week is when I should be able to move forward on the van again... finish the installation of the replacement rear axle, welding in the patch panels, cutting the holes for the maxxair fain and RV windows, stripping the replacement doors down, and priming it all for paint!

Top Back Refresh