What's new

Dodge 6.7 non-vgt turbo swap.

Bacho

Yellow Skull
Member Number
Loc
Greenville SC
I’ve done some searching for this but all the reply's seem to be from truck ricer types.

I have a 2011 6.7 with 300k on the clock. I only use it for work or towing. Last year the exhaust brake got stuck on while out of town. I was able to reset it by turning the truck off. A couple weeks later it happened again and I had to get the truck towed home. That time I rebuilt the turbo charger, I found the sliding veins truly stuck. A few thousand miles later it got stuck again. I removed the actuator and was able to free it up with a pair of channel locks. I put it back together again now I feel the actuator it mis rigged by a tooth. The truck is much louder overall in the exhaust break is much less effective seems to spool up slower. My confidence in the system has evaporated, I feel it’s only a matter time before it leaves me on the side of the road again.

I’m aware that these turbo charger should be quite a bit more reliable than this. I do burn quite a bit of waste fuel and oil, which makes me wonder if that aggravates my problems.

I’m now looking at non-VGT drop in turbo systems. They come with both manifold and without. I’m pretty nervous about a broken bolt nightmare if I try to remove my manifold. Turbo chargers that do not come with the new manifold have little in the way of reviews.

The kit below has some good reviews.
Iron Horn 6.7L Cummins Turbo Kit

I would be installing a separate exhaust break like this one.

Does anyone have this or similar set up? Do I want a new manifold? Is there anything else I need to consider?

I have no idea how long the stock one went. I’m have owned truck about a year and a half and 10,000 miles. I feel safe in assuming its been through several. My research online tells me these are a common failure. I made it less than a couple thousand miles after brand new components before the rebuilt one was stuck again.

I wouldn’t be considering the swap if they weren’t at very similar price points. It will cost a little bit more to swap, but I understand I’ll have a superior exhaust break at that point.

Last edited:
I have no idea how long the stock one went. I’m on the truck about a year and a half and 10,000 miles. My research online tells me these are a common failure. I made it less than a couple thousand miles after brand new components before the rebuilt one was coming up again.

I wouldn’t be considering the swap if they weren’t at very similar price points. It will cost a little bit more to swap, but I understand I’ll have a superior exhaust break at that point.

Gotcha.

They do make upgraded vgt's that let you keep your factory type exhaust brake.

I always ran Exhaust Brake and in TH mode, stock turbo on mine '12 when I sold it had 100,000 on it.

Not sure when they started...but my 2015 when you turned the key on you could hear the actuator cycle...i belive it was programmed that way to clear the soot...

And I ran the EB on all the time to exercise it.

I’m surprised more people haven’t gone the direction of a non-vgt turbo.

I’m wondering if my actuator might be on the weak side. But the price of a new one is a significant amount of the price of a turbo that will never have this issue again…

The fact that it stuck again so soon after rebuild with all thoroughly cleaned and new components has really killed the concept for me. I hate that fails in a condition that the truck is unusable. But obviously most people are getting on just fine with them.

waste oil is a big part of your issue, if you want to keep running it I'd be budgeting for an injection pump and injectors. The VGT system is pretty reliable if it's not getting sooted up really bad, either you're waste oil is a problem or your EGR is having issues. These new trucks don't like anything other than clean well filtered diesel running through them.

Been thinking about a non VGT on my LZB..

I found a guy that been been running the smeding kit. He found it of poor quality and removed it.

I recommend a Fleece drop in VGT replacement. That's what my 2018 will get when its time but I like my exhaust brake. Keep in mind that tuning is getting incredibly difficult to find these days because of the major crack down from the EPA.

Top Back Refresh