What's new

Docol R8

4130 isn't hard to weld. Anyways it's a good steel. Hard to find though as in not a lot of place know what it is or would be willing to look and order it around here anyways.

You can MIG 4130. I hope we don't go down that rabbit hole.

The nice thing about Docol R8 (and other High Strength Low Alloy (HSLA) steels like StrenX) is that many are actually stronger than normalized 4130, while also being cheaper (if bought in high enough quanity). I don't think many of us are sending stuff out for heat treating.

Goatbuilt uses 100 XF plate on most of their skidplates and subframes.

Per that website, there's nothing thicker than .095 wall. I don't know if they actually make anything thicker. If you were trying to build a race car, it would be worth looking into, but even with the increased strength, I think you need the wall thickness for things you're gonna smash on rocks.

On a similar note, does anyone know of any suppliers that are making tabs and brackets from a better steel than A36? Even A572 Grade 50 is 35% stronger and readily available.

In case anyone looks at this in the future, I randomly saw that tabzone.com had a lot of tabs and brackets made out of HSLA Grade 80 or 100.

FYI, most people use A36, which is about the bottom of the barrel for steel. 36ksi yield strength. HSLA Grade 80 or 100 is 80ksi or 100ksi respectively, so it's 2.2x or 2.8x stronger.

All the goatbuilt suspension mounts, shocks mounts, skids, subframe, ect are out of strenx100. We also have builder sized sheets that can be shipped ups.

But Docol, we looked into it for our chassis kits, and it wasn't that much more expensive, just kind of pita to get.

Domex 100 is a great replacement for chromo plate.

For tubing, search for ST52.3, as strong as un-heat treated chromo, easy to weld and only a little more expensive as a typical 1020 DOM.

I really like either of the products just finding some one that stocks it for cutting parts is a pain.

Good tip on tabzone.

FYI, Oshcut has A572 Grade 50 in a few thicknesses. 4130 up to .250
1709850397179.png

From what i have read is that Docal while claimed to be devised for motor sports is better than chromo because it becomes less brittle when welded. I wanna use it one day for frames.

Reactions: OX1
Top Back Refresh