What's new

Do you play?

OutlawRider

Gum Gardener
Member Number
Loc
Arkansas
Curious who here plays slow pitch softball? I know it is for washed up old baseball players, but I enjoy playing. Drink a bit and hang out with some good people. Not a cheap hobby though.

Played that and in a hardball league before I had kids, once I had kids, no time for that stuff... too busy coaching them etc. My last kid just finished playing 3 years ago, no interest in being near any fields at this point. Might go back and umpire youth baseball/high school when I retire. Lots of fun in my 20's coed leagues were a blast.

Curious who here plays slow pitch softball? I know it is for washed up old baseball players, but I enjoy playing. Drink a bit and hang out with some good people. Not a cheap hobby though.

How is it not a cheap hobby? I played when I was younger. League fee was like $50 for the season and a couple shirts. Well that and beer but I was gonna be buying beer anyway

Played that and in a hardball league before I had kids, once I had kids, no time for that stuff... too busy coaching them etc. My last kid just finished playing 3 years ago, no interest in being near any fields at this point. Might go back and umpire youth baseball/high school when I retire. Lots of fun in my 20's coed leagues were a blast.

It is a lot of middle aged guys with kids to young to play for the most part. I played a bit of league before I left for school. But since I moved back, started playing a bit of tourney ball.

You are right, not terribly expensive. I’ve just dropped a bit on bats and equipment lately is my only reason for saying that.

What is “a bit” because I dropped on $200 on one pair running shoes and they were not considered “a bit” to me so I bought two. Oh and they lasted about six months.

How is it not a cheap hobby? I played when I was younger. League fee was like $50 for the season and a couple shirts. Well that and beer but I was gonna be buying beer anyway

Speaking more on the side of tourney ball. League is pretty cheap, you are right. Not that tourney is that bad.

I’m a church league softball guy. Got a couple championships, but that’s like being the smartest kid on the short bus. My biggest contribution to the team is that I show up and can get on base by running it out after my typical crappy hit.

What the hell do you consider a cheap hobby if slow pitch is expensive?

I have maybe $75 in my softball crap, lasted 4 years so far. $30 cleats and $45 glove. But I’m not one of those washed up high school baseball star weirdos that buys every new bat, wearing overly designed matching jerseys, signaling that they take softball way too seriously for a dude with a beer gut.

What is “a bit” because I dropped on $200 on one pair running shoes and they were not considered “a bit” to me so I bought two. Oh and they lasted about six months.

That is roughly what I spend per bat. Then cleats, bags, gloves, balls, jerseys, hotels, fuel, food. All in all, not over the top as I slightly exaggerated.

it’s not like I haven’t dropped way more on tires and axles for a truck.

Played a few leagues in the past as an adult.

Too fucking competitive and full of man children.

I enjoy the competition. But I also don’t like the over the top guys that think they are that great. I enjoy just hanging out and having a good time. Just like working on a truck and wheeling with some close friends.

I played for a few years, it was fun with friends. I always enjoyed trying to hit deep right field, as my natural swing brings it to deep left.

I've been playing for the last 10 years or so. I sponsor the 2 teams I play on (men's and coed). Men's team was c1 champs (local) in 2016 and 2017. I'm the pitcher

Currently in Florida with the 14 woman D team I sponsored for a large tournament over the weekend. Just me, them and one other guy in a huge Airbnb. About half were out by the pool in their bras and “shorts” all afternoon soaking up the sun before going home to snow tomorrow :smokin:

Currently in Florida with the 14 woman D team I sponsored for a large tournament over the weekend. Just me, them and one other guy in a huge Airbnb. About half were out by the pool in their bras and “shorts” all afternoon soaking up the sun before going home to snow tomorrow :smokin:

You can't make a statement like this without pics.

I enjoy the competition. But I also don’t like the over the top guys that think they are that great. I enjoy just hanging out and having a good time. Just like working on a truck and wheeling with some close friends.

I love the competition. But when you get eliminated from a tournament, you're supposed to go to the parking lot and drink beer and laugh. Not pout. Losing doesn't bother me. A lot of these guys lives revolve around softball, it gets pathetic.

Sitting around a ball park all day seem REALLY FUCKING BORING and generally hot & uncomfortable.

I love the competition. But when you get eliminated from a tournament, you're supposed to go to the parking lot and drink beer and laugh. Not pout. Losing doesn't bother me. A lot of these guys lives revolve around softball, it gets pathetic.

We usually load up bag boards and other games to play out in the parking lot or under some trees. I can’t drink too much or my playing does not improve unlike some other sports.

Sitting around a ball park all day seem REALLY FUCKING BORING and generally hot & uncomfortable.

I know two people in the ASA hall of fame.

standard day "playing ball" means pulling your camper into the parking lot and partying, with an occasional softball game tossed in.

I use to play in a pool league, but got tired of it. My buddy, who is way better than me, still plays and travels a pretty good amount winning some $$.

Top Back Refresh