What's new

Do you paint your hubs?

eacook1

Red Skull Member
ST4x4
Member Number
Loc
Temecula, CA
Should I paint these hubs to keep them from rusting or just leave them?

6C8D44FA-666B-4FB2-A0B9-67E42FAE6AE6.jpeg

everything should be painted, why would you not paint them? Just grab whatever can you've got laying around :smokin:

should be any color other than black :flipoff2:

if you only have black, just splatter your brains on there :shaking: or don't even bother with it

I generally blast and paint everything that goes on my trucks, once I didnt but will replace it with a blasted and painted part once I find another W 1985/1986 K30 crossmember.

I would paint any bare steel hubs, I acquired if I had any in such condition.

Aluminum not as much as it doesn't rust oxidation is easier to deal with than rust IMO.

Last edited:
Yea I paint them evreytime i service them. They are usually rusty again shortly after lol.

I always thought those TG hubs had some type of zinc coating?

I like the idea of those, any idea if they used the same outters spline as a D60? Would be sweet if yukon made thier hardcore hubs for them.

Although I looked into them recently and they looked easy enough that you could swap the slugs out for dummies in a few minutes while airing down.

I have not used these hubs yet I don’t know much about them, as they came in an axle I bought. You can run without the pucks, it’s supposed to take 5-10 minutes to install or remove them.

I really like these hubs. They remove a few points of failure and make assembly and dissembly much faster.

I like the idea also. Although, I've never had them, I have a few D60s with the same basic hub and I do admit that the spindle nut retainer is kinda a pain vs the normal Toyota where half the hub unbolts.

Now if the designed it to work with slip on rotors so you could just unbolt the spindle like a unit bearing, that would be awesome.

Mine were a pita to load/unload at the trailhead. Bullitt proof? Yes.
Wondering what others experianced

Mine were a pita to load/unload at the trailhead. Bullitt proof? Yes.
Wondering what others experianced
I was kind of wondering if it was going to be a pain. How long did it typically take you to you to install/remove them?

A good day, the splines lined right up:smokin:

Or
Fight rolling the rig back n forth searchin for alignment for 1-5 minuites:mad3:

Got to the point of thinking of a workaround.
Best I got was turning the driveline.
The fix was I sold the taco they were on:eek:

Wouldn't those take a standard D44 internal or D60 locking hub? I don't know if warn still makes the D44 30 spline hubs anymore though.

I have a few D60s with the same basic hub and I do admit that the spindle nut retainer is kinda a pain
All Dana sindle nut retainers sucked. I switched to OE 14 bolt set up. the ones with the big nut, key to slide in and its retaining ring. So much easier to work with than OEM Dana stuff (two nuts and a glorified washer, or especially nylon nut with a wedge :flipoff: that shit)

no paint, they just get fucked. i dont sand blast so that does not help surface profile for paint to stick. my 6 shooter knuckles did not see paint, not high steer arms or any of that.

i switched to stage 8 spindle fastener on my dana 60.

My next set is getting copper plated to avoid paint chipping off.

Hey I have been known to nickle plate a NP205 so anything is possible if you have the inclination or money.

All Dana sindle nut retainers sucked. I switched to OE 14 bolt set up. the ones with the big nut, key to slide in and its retaining ring. So much easier to work with than OEM Dana stuff (two nuts and a glorified washer, or especially nylon nut with a wedge :flipoff: that shit)

I went with the stage 8 shit, which was decent, I'm just trying to imagine doing the gay star tab thing with the studless hubs.

My next set is getting copper plated to avoid paint chipping off.

Hey I have been known to nickle plate a NP205 so anything is possible if you have the inclination or money.
Got any pictures of this nickel 205?

Nope sold it 40 years ago at a insane profit.

Not like it was great 205 just a 10 spline.

Somewhere I have a Polaroid pic of a powder coated 205 as well but havent seen them
For years.

Nope sold it 40 years ago at a insane profit.

Not like it was great 205 just a 10 spline.

Somewhere I have a Polaroid pic of a powder coated 205 as well but havent seen them
For years.
Chrome 205 would be pimpin:grinpimp:

I decided to paint everything, at least it will look good for a little bit.

IMG_1899.JPG
IMG_1898.JPG
IMG_1900.JPG

Top Back Refresh