What's new

do some huge mud trucks no longer use lockers

ArTi54N

YouTuber
Member Number
Loc
Republic of the Rio Grande
been watching XXX motorsports video..

are some of the really big mud trucks no longer using lockers?

maybe some sort of hybrid limited slip?

You give them too much credit. Open to turn on grass with paddy tires... based on their suspension hackery touching axle internals should stay a foreign concept to them.

But yeah its kinda surprising to see those BGMTs going with the 2 wheel peel in bounty holes.:homer:

Good question, I was watching a bounty hole on YouTube and noticed the same. I figured Detroit’s would be standard equipment.

Looks like lack of HP. The ones doing two wheel peels seem to barely have enough hp to turn oposite coners when they get bogged down in the mud.

I used to love watching those huge mud trucks but xxx motorsports videos has so many ads and social media spam popups I quit watching. Rockwell Offroad is another option. I've seen a lot of comments on youtube asking your same question and the most common response is that it's hard to turn them around if the front is locked. But I've never seen one try to do a U-turn on a trail anyway, so why not lock them? Spend 50k on a giant truck to drive through ponds but don't add lockers...I don't get it either

they can't turn them off or on with a switch?? too muddy to step out and unlock at the wheel??

I guess I will have to watch and see if they are locking in the rear at least??

most of those trucks are on rockwells/axletech or other 2.5/5 ton axles and I have no idea if they make electric/air lockers for those. However with the amount of mud and shit they drive through onboard air probably wouldn't work for long. I also don't know how locking hubs work on axles like that. Maybe you can hit up some of the mudder forums or their facebook groups?

The xxx motorsports guy seems to be pretty active in responding to comments on youtube and he interviews a lot of the trucks' owners, so you could ask him too

You give them too much credit. Open to turn on grass with paddy tires... based on their suspension hackery touching axle internals should stay a foreign concept to them.

But yeah its kinda surprising to see those BGMTs going with the 2 wheel peel in bounty holes.:homer:

Talk all you want, but not all of us are hacks. I could say the same about most of the "crawlers" I've seen.

I have 2 BGMTs, a 2.5 ton and 5 ton.
The 2.5 ton (I built) has spools front and rear with locking hubs. It's a pain to get in and out to unlock them and I only have rear brakes when I do.
The 5 ton (I bought) is welded front and rear. Trying to turn 28Ls (63x28), on 20" wide wheels sucks, even in the mud.
Most of the mud we go through doesn't need a locked front with tractor tires.
The only reason I put a spool in the front of the 2.5 ton is because I do tug-of-wars too. When it was open front, it drove and stopped perfect.

Cliffs notes: It's a pain in the ass to operate with a locked front.

RWP pull.jpg

Last edited:
Talk all you want, but not all of us are hacks. I could say the same about most of the "crawlers" I've seen.

Cliffs notes: It's a pain in the ass to operate with a locked front.

You are correct, there's a wide disparity of build quality in every segment. But then again this is a predominantly "crawler" site :flipoff2:

Building for Tug comps is a whole different level than the stereotypical party barge some mud rigs are. Looks like a blast tho so kudos on that.

so i spend most of my time in SW Austin, I would love to catch some footage of you mudding or whatever

i was in a local offroad type club, which had a huge private place which had great mud pits.. but the group dissolved when the president passed away

Mud Pit at Comanche Ridge (Texas) - YouTube

i was the dumbass in the red f150 with a full bodykit etc

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh