What's new

Do Flyswatters actually work?

evernoob

Reactionary
Member Number
I have a bunch of flies buzzing around b/c I keep my door open (better ventilation). And I haven't smashed a fly in two years. They're fast little suckers.

I don't own a flyswatter but I want to know if they're a meme. I remember swatting flies back in the 70s when flies could get in through the cracks around crappy screen doors and the like, and I remember having pretty good success with them. Are they faster or I'm just deteriorating faster than I thought? Because I can't get the little sunsabitches with a rolled up newspaper. I wonder if it's worth it using an actual flyswatter or if I'd be just as pathetic with that.

Anyone use those electric flyswatters? I know the salt fly rifle is a meme and doesn't work. I also don't want to be shooting salt all around my house.

So what do? Fly paper? yuck.:barf:

close the door? :flipoff2:

yes, flyswatters work, just as a rolled up newspaper.

So, probably not for you.

Get a squirtgun, they drop when hit with water, then smack them with whatever. They dead. Or get an electronic zapper racket. Hold it above them they fly into it. They dead

The Bug A Salt works wonders in the shop, but I would not use it in the house as you mentioned. If you do go the Bug A Salt route, be sure to get the Green one, the Black one is less "powerful".

I have three fly swatters in my shop so my boys and I have competitions to see who gets more flies.

Both of my preferred methods require aim, speed, and agility. If these don't work for you, I would say you are too far past your physical prime before I would suggest that flies evolved higher top speeds in a few decades...

:flipoff2:

My bug a salt works great, you just need to suck less at shooting. I can wingshoot them with that little marvel.

Huh, I must have fallen for a negative shill campaign, because now I see that they are well reviewed. Hmmm, I hate goddamn marketing, because now is it a media campaign to sell them and you have fallen victim to confirmation bias? Ugh, it's tough being a genius sometimes....

The Bug A Salt works wonders in the shop, but I would not use it in the house as you mentioned. If you do go the Bug A Salt route, be sure to get the Green one, the Black one is less "powerful".

I have three fly swatters in my shop so my boys and I have competitions to see who gets more flies.

Both of my preferred methods require aim, speed, and agility. If these don't work for you, I would say you are too far past your physical prime before I would suggest that flies evolved higher top speeds in a few decades...

:flipoff2:

Ahhh I see, yes it's the "lawn and garden" model. I assume then I'll have piles of salt around my house in a few short days.

Maybe the electric one like McChevy said. I can just hold it over them then scare them into it.

white-unique-home-designs-screen-doors-ispm500036wht-64_1000.jpg

A fly swatter must be made properly...it needs to have a stiff handle and the swatting surface also needs to be somewhat rigid but with minimal air resistance. I have a few , about 3 bucks each and they even have little spikes on the killing surface to impale the insect....Fantastic swat to kill ratio...

Cant say that I have ever had an issue with the standard fly swatter sold in almost any store in the world for a couple bucks.

Maybe quit jerking off to women beating videos for a bit and allow your wrist and forearm muscles to heal up? Should increase your quickness

Flyswatters work great if you aren't blind drunk or feeble...
Green bug salt gun is more fun and works great.
shoot at wasps for more challenge and higher stakes...

If it's any consolation: you only think you're a genius.

Hope that lessens your burden there, Jesus :laughing:

I have not claimed a gigantic buoyancy on water therefore your charge of Messiah Complex is invalid.

I'm simply pointing out that us highly-gifted individuals exist in a painful universe of far-seen options and dilemmas. Life is much simpler for the villeins, who only inquire into the whereabouts of their next palm-ful of mead and a convenient wet hole.

Electronic racket. The blue crack of death is fun, and you can mash the button and fry the little bastards! Burning bug stinks, and wifes don't like it.

TeslaTower.jpg

I have not claimed a gigantic buoyancy on water therefore your charge of Messiah Complex is invalid.

I'm simply pointing out that us highly-gifted individuals exist in a painful universe of far-seen options and dilemmas. Life is much simpler for the villeins, who only inquire into the whereabouts of their next palm-ful of mead and a convenient wet hole.

Anyone else immediately highlight shit like this looking for a punch line in BT?

We get it. You have high self esteem and like to bloviate.

Anyone else immediately highlight shit like this looking for a punch line in BT?

We get it. You have high self esteem and like to bloviate.

On the contrary, like most gifted individuals I suffer painful self-doubt and engage in vicious self-criticism. That, too, is part of our lot and burden in life. We suffer so, to advance the ungrateful lesser-ableds.

Furthermore, I've had to compensate for this built-in insecure provision due to a variety of factors summarized in the Dunning-Krueger Effect:

9GcXauU.jpg

Dunning-Kruger.jpg

Only people who dwell on Mt. Stupid believe that personal conceit is a form of self-esteem. The Valley of Despair begins around 120 IQ, and me with my much higher score tend to slide from there up and down the Slope of Enlightenment.

Anyway, I suck at swatting flies with rolled up dishcloths and newspapers. I'm going to give an authentic fly-swatter a go, I think it's a leverage issue.

I just want a good old-fashioned metal handled one, even Chinesium has to be better than Chinese Plastesium.

fly-swatter-29.gif

Last edited:
I think you are onto something with the swatter leverage.

On the other note, I have read into Dunning Kruger as well. Seems like you missed something in your vicious self criticism. Try some self reflection:

In the field of psychology, the Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people with low ability at a task overestimate their ability. It is related to the cognitive bias of illusory superiority and comes from the inability of people to recognize their lack of ability. Wikipedia

You may have missed it in your first image.

Oh, forgot to mention, we have also tried the Battery Opp rackets. Fun and effective, but replacing batteries is more $$$ than refilling with salt.

Stop being a necrophiliac and bury the bodies outside already. No more flies-

Please take to heart whichever of these replies best suits you:
  1. We implore you to proceed under the assumption that we are at or above your perceived levels of awareness and intellect (though admittedly nowhere near as disgustingly needy to demonstrate nor mention these attributes in shameless acts of self-aggrandizement and conceit); and we further implore you to refrain from explaining to us the burdens associated with existing as a "highly-gifted individual", as these explanations are extraneous and off-putting.
  2. Mu'fugger, you can't figure out screen-door technology and you're claiming genius? :homer: GTFO with that bullshit :laughing:

Oh for craps sake Noob! Break your tight ass down and go spend $0.99. If it doesn't work, then beat yourself up side the head with a 2x4....it's the operator. :flipoff2:

I have a bunch of flies buzzing around b/c I keep my door open (better ventilation). And I haven't smashed a fly in two years. They're fast little suckers.

I don't own a flyswatter but I want to know if they're a meme. I remember swatting flies back in the 70s when flies could get in through the cracks around crappy screen doors and the like, and I remember having pretty good success with them. Are they faster or I'm just deteriorating faster than I thought? Because I can't get the little sunsabitches with a rolled up newspaper. I wonder if it's worth it using an actual flyswatter or if I'd be just as pathetic with that.

Anyone use those electric flyswatters? I know the salt fly rifle is a meme and doesn't work. I also don't want to be shooting salt all around my house.

So what do? Fly paper? yuck.:barf:

The swatter have holes for a reason. Your paper carries to much air in front of it, either you warn it to early, or even push it away.

The electrical ones work, but a fried fly smells pretty awful.

I do catch and release. But I'm only 42.
Seriously, they always take off in head direction at 45°
Do it right and they fly right into your hand. Close hand. (Edit: I wanted to learn to catch flies like Mr. Miagi, but we didn't have chop sticks for some weird reason. So I practiced catching them.)

It's also a good party trick.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh