What's new

DKA Motorsports Ultra4 Polaris Turbo S

tribal4krawler

DKA Motorsports
Member Number
As many of yall know I have a race Comanche that we've been converting over to 4500. Unfortunately due to a bunch of different things it's looking extremely unlikely that the truck will be finished in time for any races this year. A friend of mine was selling their 2018 Polaris Turbo S thats been very well built (mainly for short course style stuff) so I decided to pick it up with the intention of racing it myself with my daughter in some Ultra4/Pro Rock stuff this year. Another major selling point was that I got a TON of spare parts, including almost everything I need to get the XP Turbo my wife races back to 100%. So step one is to get some 33s, a 1/2" umhw skidplate, swap steering quickeners (Turbo S has a 2:1 and xp turbo has a 1.5:1) as I think the 2:1 will be way too twitchy for Ultra4. Other than that the car is already nicely built and I think will hold up well. I don't really like how tall the cage is but I do have PLENTY of headroom which is usually never the case lol. I may just do the door panels black and do the cage in gold and have both cars matching. Haven't decided yet.

20220424_111109.jpg

20220424_111132.jpg
20220422_175114.jpg

Ordered SATV rear trailing arms and skid plate and UPS has already managed to lose them like 30 minutes from my house. I'm also debating what tires to get - i can get some ITP Versacross tires for quite a bit cheaper than Maxxis roxzillas or Razrs since Maxxis doesn't help me out at all anymore on UTV stuff. I'd like to get whatever I'm gonna run soon so I can start getting behind the wheel and getting used to it. I thought Memorial Day at MAO would be my first race but apparently ProRock is only bouncers now. It's looking likely that the first race will be Visions as AOP in June only leaves a month turnaround if I break something major.

What class/style of racing is this gonna be? short course or more of a KOH style racing?

20220428_163407.jpg

Took off the purple wrap. Already looking much better. Lol. My SATV rear arms came in yesterday evening and the skid should come tomorrow. I plan on getting all that installed over the weekend. Still mulling over the 33 tire choice. Need to decide something soon. I'm heading to texplex in two weeks to help my step-dad and I want to shake down the car on the go fast track. I'm considering making the AOP Ultra4 race in June. (To answer your question Wade it was originally set up as more of a trail/mild short course car but I will now be racing it in Ultra4)

20220501_111240.jpg
received_508536270759311.jpeg

Installed the rear SATV trailing arms, was a quick and painless install. Also did the SATV skid plate which was easy to throw on as well. I think I'm gonna go ahead and get the SATV billet rear carriers and the shock therapy steering rack and then I'll be ready for AOP.
20220501_154541.jpg

20220510_153216.jpg

Worked on moving some of the dash bits around. Before the center dash had the switches below it and my knee would hit it from either the driver or passenger seat. So I trimmed it up, and moved it over towards the steering wheel to make room for the radio/intercom to sit next to it. I moved most of the switches over to the left side of the steering wheel and the rest I think I'll put in the ce the center console panel. The aluminum dash is flexing down from all the weight so now I'm gonna figure out a center brace.

20220509_111518.jpg

Also got the rear chase light installed, the previous owner had tried to do some dyi lights that didn't work and didn't look good. This was simple and easy. After I reinforce the dash and finish wiring the radio I'm going to work on installing the siren and moving my rugged pumper over from the xp turbo (this one came with a pci pumper but it only has one outlet and the rugged has 2)

No I haven't. I need to figure it out soon though. I really need to unload some of my other short course sets first. I have like 18 hoosiers, and 7 other complete sets varying from 27 to 30" lol.

DSC_2750.jpg
DU5A2488.JPG
DSC_0597.jpg
00HF8067.JPG
00HF9426.JPG
00HF2736.JPG
DSC_4062.jpg
DSC_1846.jpg

Just a photodump of my racing at Crandon. The car went into detune/overheating in the 2nd practice, I still managed to qualify 4th of 8 but knew i was way down on power. The rock course practice the car popped the belt pretty much right away so I assumed that's what the trouble was. As soon as we launched in the Friday night race I knew 100% the car was hurt, and really should have just shut it down then and there and pulled back to the pit but unfortunately I'm no quitter. :homer::homer: Long story short by the end of the race the motor was at 350+ degrees and by all accounts is likely a complete loss. Pretty expensive mistake but i guess this gives me a reason to get a nice motor and aftermarket turbo. My game plan for immediate future is to swap the motor from the old short course turbo XP in for Nationals, and I'll be building a custom chassis that has a 15" stretch that the new motor and goodies will go into for my dedicated Unlimited/Open UTV. The goal is to build a car that can hang with the Pro R's and custom Can Ams. This Turbo S will stay the way it is and will be my short course/woods style Ultra4 car.

Just a photodump of my racing at Crandon. The car went into detune/overheating in the 2nd practice, I still managed to qualify 4th of 8 but knew i was way down on power. The rock course practice the car popped the belt pretty much right away so I assumed that's what the trouble was. As soon as we launched in the Friday night race I knew 100% the car was hurt, and really should have just shut it down then and there and pulled back to the pit but unfortunately I'm no quitter. :homer::homer: Long story short by the end of the race the motor was at 350+ degrees and by all accounts is likely a complete loss. Pretty expensive mistake but i guess this gives me a reason to get a nice motor and aftermarket turbo. My game plan for immediate future is to swap the motor from the old short course turbo XP in for Nationals, and I'll be building a custom chassis that has a 15" stretch that the new motor and goodies will go into for my dedicated Unlimited/Open UTV. The goal is to build a car that can hang with the Pro R's and custom Can Ams. This Turbo S will stay the way it is and will be my short course/woods style Ultra4 car.
:eek::eek:

Not giving up on it, just don't have the funds, time, manpower etc to do the Comanche right. The SXS thing for me is definitely not as fun or cool but SO much cheaper especially since I already have the cars. I think the open/unlimited car will be fun enough to keep me entertained for a couple years. We'll see. 🤷‍♂️

So just bringing this back from the dead since I’ve been working on it a bit after taking an extended break. When I blew up the short course motor at Disney Nationals I was just over it and decided to park it in the garage and not look at it for a while and focus on prepping for KOH with Ruslan. I thought I’d made a Disney race recap but I can’t find it so I’ll give a short synopsis. Car was running great, did a bunch of prerunning and felt confident I’d do fairly well. In qualifying the car sounded and felt a little funny but didnt think too much of it. Started the race, started moving forward in the pack.
IMG_0107.jpeg

IMG_0165.jpeg
After a lap at roughly 2k rpm the motor just shut off and wouldn’t crank. Saw oil dripping out of the bottom so I knew the block was windowed.

Fast forward to now, finally yanked the motor out to see what actually happened.
IMG_1226.jpeg
IMG_1225.jpeg
70890334047__7E9FE9D4-2B3F-40BC-95E4-85C08EC95227.jpeg
IMG_1233.jpeg

IMG_1234.jpeg

I’m still not sure if the rod bolts failed first or if the rod itself did. Needless to say the whole bottom end is trash. I’m thinking I’ll probably just buy a complete new stock Polaris turbo motor from Polaris. Now that we’re going to be campaigning the TMR 4400 car my plan is to get this car back together and then potentially see if I could store it somewhere in Johnson Valley and be able to have something to wheel when we go out there for fun/prerunning.

Top Back Refresh