What's new

Dissolving Fuel Cell Foam

Smithy

Shrunken Member
Member Number
Loc
Syracuse NY
I recently picked up a homemade fuel cell for next to nothing and it fits my dumb trail truck perfectly. The downside is the foam inside has degraded and plugs up the fuel filter rather quickly. This one doesn't have the typical bolt on filler neck so pulling it out by hand isnt an easy option.

Is there anything somewhat common or easy to come by that will fully dissolve the foam, and not react with aluminum, so it can be flushed out? Or am I stuck cutting a hole in the top?

For the application I don't need to replace the foam, a basic tank is sufficient.

Last edited:
Personally I'd buy a cap kit and just cut the hole to get it out, or buy a blank fill plate and move the filler neck to that. Chances are pretty good that even if you do find something to dissolve the foam in the end you'll be cutting a hole anyway to get the last of the foam goo out.

A picture would probably help.

Once you get a big enough chunk of foam missing toss in some rocks and strap the fuel cell to something that spins.

Pics as requested. Most likely I'll cut a hole and use a bolt on filler or add a level sender. But still curious if there is another option. The internet says ethanol will break it down.

Or rocks in tank + roll truck several times = profit.

IMG_20210810_070938.jpg
IMG_20210810_070958.jpg

What about PVC like TTMororsports mentioned in another thread? I have a bunch of scrap pipe I could cut into 1 or 2" chunks

You've got plenty of room to perform a coat hanger abortion there. Drain and let dry, flip upside down with a shop vac hooked to the filler neck. Rig a shredding rod of your choice to a drill and go to town through the drain in the sump.

Or just cut that filler panel out of the sump and have it welded back in when done.

I would cut a hole an install a bigger filler neck on there. then you can hack and pull that crap out and install some new baffles or if you don't mind a little slosh just run no foam and when moving you don't even notice and especially add a drain on that sump as well.

Also to make installing that filler easier I made a steel piece that is 1/2 the circle and welded bolts into it and then you just slip both parts in the tank and filler neck with gasket and tighten up the nuts.

I would cut a hole an install a bigger filler neck on there. then you can hack and pull that crap out and install some new baffles or if you don't mind a little slosh just run no foam and when moving you don't even notice and especially add a drain on that sump as well.

if you are cutting the top open, go big with an oval plate. should be able to get everything for the cell mounted in one location.

slosh=fluid hammer=split seam & no fuel 30 miles from the trailer.

OK i have this extra fill plate that I am not going to use if you want to buy it from me. has a 3" diameter 45ish deg remote fill neck OR can replace it yourself with another one. or will sell without fill neck if you are changing it and don't need it. The 2 AN bulkheads with nothing on them are for your pickup tubes to attach to with AN and submersible fuel hose.

20210817_162051.jpg

20210817_162058.jpg
20210817_162101.jpg

The coat hanger abortion tool did the trick. I was able to pull the blocks out through the fill hole. Flushed the fines down the drain.
IMG_20210829_151821.jpg
IMG_20210829_152506.jpg
received_256234836348006.jpeg

Top Back Refresh