What's new

Disabling the built-in mic on a PS5 controller?

Yota Up

Granite Guru
Member Number
It's not out yet, but trying to get ideas as a jump start to solve the problem when it's released.
It will have a mic built into the controller. I need that to be gone and dead for good and am curious about the best way to do it.

If you open the controller and clip the wire, it may cause other problems unforeseen.
If you put tape over it, I doubt it will eliminate all sound.
If you pour a little plaster into the hole, I suppose that might be the best idea I can come up with.

But maybe there's a better way to disable a mic. Maybe one of you have experience with this kind of thing. Magnets, yelling at it, drilling it, solder, casting a spell, I'm open to anything.

Lilyota

***erated
Member Number
Loc
Bolivar MO
Whats wrong?

You worried the POPO will show up after all the screamin and thrashing:laughing:

m016324

Member Number
don't you think there will be an option to turn it off in a setup menu? Seems like that would be a pretty normal thing just like you can change what the button configuration is or sensitivity ect

-ben

Donk

Piss Artist Formerly Known As OllieNZ
Member Number
Loc
Limeyland
Fill it full of the gel shit that comes with curved glass screen protectors, worked well on my phone mic :homer:

Yota Up

Granite Guru
Member Number
Fill it full of the gel shit that comes with curved glass screen protectors, worked well on my phone mic :homer:

Now we're talking.

And no, I don't want to rely on options and buttons and all that BS. I just want it gone.

Donk

Piss Artist Formerly Known As OllieNZ
Member Number
Loc
Limeyland
Now we're talking.

And no, I don't want to rely on options and buttons and all that BS. I just want it gone.

Well if that's the case then your only surefire option is to open it up and remove the fucker. It'll probably be a smd jobby so removal may need a heat gun rather than a soldering iron.

Yota Up

Granite Guru
Member Number
Maybe a drop of superglue would do it. We'll have to wait and see what they look like. Will bump this thread when it comes out and I get to hackin on it.

D Nelly

professional dingdong
Member Number
Loc
CT
Open it up and pull it out

I wouldn't want to be the new guy at the FBI listening to Xbox/play station banter

scooter2374

walk home clown
Member Number
Loc
Red Bank, NJ
Similar note when I got my first xbone I didn't hook the Kinect up unless I was using that fucker, fuck any and or all listening devices in my home.

Yota Up

Granite Guru
Member Number
Cut what? I'm expecting a tiny hole somewhere on the controller where I'll put a drop of superglue or hotglue. And if that doesn't work, I guess I'll open it up and see if there's something to cut.

Member Number
Loc
OKC
The only way to be sure is with active noise canceling. Strap a tiny speaker to the mic that plays slayer all the time.

evernoob

Reactionary
Member Number
Whats wrong?

You worried the POPO will show up after all the screamin and thrashing:laughing:

Tinfoil. Wrap the entire controller in it and be sure to make a nice hat out of it while you're at it.

Really? In 2020? You think it's ridiculous that someone doesn't want a microphone exposed on electronic/computer equipment? :confused: Interesting. Imagine being this tech-stupid and out of touch.

Yota Up : Here is how you should proceed.
  1. Get the system, then determine how well it picks up sound. You will be able to test this playing a game against someone, using a record utility that comes with the system, etc.
  2. First remediation: Fold up some paper towel and cover the mic pinhole with it, and cover that with clear plastic packing tape. This should work. Test again. That will do it, if it does not work....
  3. Go online and find the best ways people are using to physically disable the mic. If you can't find a YT video about it yet....
  4. Open the controller yourself and clip one wire to the mic. Leave enough wire on both sides for a re-solder. I would suggest not physically removing the mic for resale, re-enablement, etc.

SomeGuy

Awesome, Busted.
Member Number
Loc
Canada
Don't get a PS5?
Get an aftermarket controller without mic?
Don't be a fucking tinfoil hat wearing douche (do you disable the mic on your cell phone)?

Reactions: Add

evernoob

Reactionary
Member Number
Don't get a PS5?
Get an aftermarket controller without mic?
Don't be a fucking tinfoil hat wearing douche (do you disable the mic on your cell phone)?

I put my cell phone into the pressure cooker on the shelf when I am not actively using it. I also keep the mic covered as much as possible when I'm carrying it around.

Physically obscuring the mic works very well, especially if you have a case like an Otterbox.

This is SOP now and anyone not actively covering their mics and cams is a dumbass in 2020. There are a lot of naive dumbasses around, don't be one of them.

Keep your locker locked, Private Pyle.

DWT

Dirty White Trash
Member Number
Loc
Eastern WA
You're not actually serious are you?

Very. :homer:

Some people think their innocuous conversations are top secret or that anyone actually gives half a fuck about them. I'd wager that 99.999999999% of the "Intel" gathered through cell phone, alexa, etc listening to you is used for advertising purposes. Big fat nothingburger.

Last edited:

87manche

kinder and gentler
Member Number
Loc
lake erie
thin super glue.

like actual hobby grade thin super glue.

it's water thin. It will go into the mic and make the vibraty parts not vibrate anymore.

but it's still dumb.

Rerock

Member Number
Loc
Twins Territory
What about going to the hobby store and getting a tiny drill bit and stick it in the mic hole? Drill a hole in that thing.

I agree though, what's the point? You have other devices in your house already.