What's new

Dirt bikes

Gots_a_sol

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Bunker Hill, WV
Anybody else race on 2 wheels? One of my group talked us in to signing up for a hare scramble back in '14 and it was enlightening to how not that good we were :laughing:

Running a Beta 250RR. Was running a bored/ stroked Husky 125 which is still a hoot but that tall seat and no estart are a bummer haha.

Sumter national Enduro is next weekend and I got on a nice early row.

FB_IMG_1552947627001-XL.jpg

The old Husky 177

FB_IMG_1542636022987-L.jpg

Last edited:
I have 3 months of experience as an old fat man bumbling around the local motorcycle trail on a DRZ. Ask me anything!

I have rode with enough guys who race to know I shouldn't be racing. Enlightening moment came when we all lined up for fun on a local fire road and "raced" to the top. Apparently I need to practice my starts because I never saw them again after "go" :laughing:

I ride but don't race. Sherco Xride but in the market for another similar. TRS has a neat looking one with estart and Jotgas is supposed to have something soon but they've been delayed with COVID crap.

I'm not good at it and would instantly get busted up.

I ride like I rock crawl and that's what I enjoy.

I ride like I rock crawl and that's what I enjoy.

I realized that after not riding much and crawling a ton over the last 20 years or so that I sucked at riding tech trails on a moto because I was trying to ride like I wheeled. Things work better on a dirt bike if you ride like a rock bouncer and try to already have momentum to carry over obstacles before you get to them. Made things a lot easier again after that.

I realized that after not riding much and crawling a ton over the last 20 years or so that I sucked at riding tech trails on a moto because I was trying to ride like I wheeled. Things work better on a dirt bike if you ride like a rock bouncer and try to already have momentum to carry over obstacles before you get to them. Made things a lot easier again after that.

this is true, but I'm not real skilled at speed so....:girly:

I prefer the really tight riding where you don't carry alot of speed. Otherwise I'm a pokey rider.

Used to hare scramble a few times a year, me and the old man always picked hard races because we're both better at technical riding than going fast. I haven't owned a modern bike in years, haven't raced in at least 10. If the localish flat track gets to open this summer I'm probably going to try my hand at that.

Think this is from the last time i raced or close to it
Click image for larger version Name:	206788_1008614051991_5090_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	39.9 KB ID:	300891

Last edited:
Used to hare scramble a few times a year, me and the old man always picked hard races because we're both better at technical riding than going fast. I haven't owned a modern bike in years, haven't raced in at least 10. If the localish flat track gets to open this summer I'm probably going to try my hand at that.

Think this is from the last time i raced or close to it

Respect. Flat track takes some balls. I ride with a couple of kids who do speedway and they are nuts.

Respect. Flat track takes some balls. I ride with a couple of kids who do speedway and they are nuts.

Speedway is a whole different level of nuts, I'm not skinny enough or brave enough for that shit. The events I want to get into are all short track, relatively low speed. Probably going to be on my 3 wheeler since it's the closest candidate to be ready, just need to swap rear tires and throw some spacers on.

2022 series are starting up around here.

Ran a new to me series last weekend, Mountain State HS. Bikes race on Saturdays which was a nice change of pace. They are a smaller series so they combine A and B classes together, plus the C guys in the back. Hell my line was a combo of 30+ A/B and 40+ A/B..

It rained 20 mins before the start and made things slick. Plus this place was allllll off camber unless you were going straight up or down. First hill climb looked like a war zone which I thought was odd considering it should only have been Pro, A, and B in front of me that early on. Bikes and bodies everywhere. I had a decent run going only to have some dude cut across then stall in my line. Wah wah. Turn it around and try again. Oh hey, the C lines have started showing up now. What a cluster fuck. The next climb was similar.

Got past all that but my energy was zapped and I just rode as decently as I could. Finished my 4th lap and pulled over to grab a drink and shake my hands out just past scoring. 10 seconds later the overall leader came threw for the checkers. I said F it and went back to the truck as my hands barely worked at this point.

Finished 9th of 10 in combined A/B 30+. The VA series I normally run typically has about 30 guys in each class at the opener for perspective.

Oh well, first top 10 in B for me :flipoff2:

FB_IMG_1647894433621-L.jpg

received_703837743965213-XL.jpg

You get in the top 5 and race 30A?
3870431-21.jpg

:flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

Lol. I turned 33 this year, didn’t race last year. The previous year I ran Open A, won the title, quite a few over-alls. So, yes, after taking a year off I’m going to run the +30 class. :flipoff2:

Didn’t even ride the bike last year, so I figure that’ll be a good way to get back up to speed. The hot shoe young pups had a year to get it together.

I hit my first race of the season back in February but was kinda pissed about how it ended so I didn't feel like it was worth bringing up. But if ya'll are posting up, fuck it I will too.

The Tarantula 100, Alamogordo, NM. Race was three 38 mile laps of fast roads, washes, and huge ass sand whoops.

Bike didn't start as fast as I hoped it would on the line, so came into corner #2 from behind and not happy about it. Got what I deserved, as shown below.

After that shit happened I was pretty much out for blood. Came from the back, managed to work my way back up to 4th by the end of the first lap. Took a splash of gas and headed out basically nuts to butts with the 3 guys in front of me. Got by all of them by 10 miles into the second lap. Started putting down time and murdering whoop sections in the clean air. Race organizers said I was in 1st overall by 2 minutes at the last checkpoint I passed. Then at RM70 my sprocket bolts all backed out. DNF finish.

FB_IMG_1647998246850.jpg

Lost my nice dirt tricks sprocket, destroyed the hub, wore a groove in my swingarm and left a fat gouge in my wheel. FUCK. There's always next year though.

I hit my first race of the season back in February but was kinda pissed about how it ended so I didn't feel like it was worth bringing up. But if ya'll are posting up, fuck it I will too.

The Tarantula 100, Alamogordo, NM. Race was three 38 mile laps of fast roads, washes, and huge ass sand whoops.

Bike didn't start as fast as I hoped it would on the line, so came into corner #2 from behind and not happy about it. Got what I deserved, as shown below.

After that shit happened I was pretty much out for blood. Came from the back, managed to work my way back up to 4th by the end of the first lap. Took a splash of gas and headed out basically nuts to butts with the 3 guys in front of me. Got by all of them by 10 miles into the second lap. Started putting down time and murdering whoop sections in the clean air. Race organizers said I was in 1st overall by 2 minutes at the last checkpoint I passed. Then at RM70 my sprocket bolts all backed out. DNF finish.

FB_IMG_1647998246850.jpg

Lost my nice dirt tricks sprocket, destroyed the hub, wore a groove in my swingarm and left a fat gouge in my wheel. FUCK. There's always next year though.

Man I got quite a few DNF stories myself, flats, broken chain, disintegrated clutch (2 different occasions on 2 different bikes), smashed a pipe shut. A couple good win stories too, winning 4-stroke on my girlfriends XR200 probably the best one.

Lol. I turned 33 this year, didn’t race last year. The previous year I ran Open A, won the title, quite a few over-alls. So, yes, after taking a year off I’m going to run the +30 class. :flipoff2:

Didn’t even ride the bike last year, so I figure that’ll be a good way to get back up to speed. The hot shoe young pups had a year to get it together.
The best part of turning 30 is being eligible for the vet class

I was out there the day of, they are just jealous
probably some of the funnest classes/racing happened for me there

I finally got off my ass and downloaded pics from the hare scramble I did over Easter. I was disappointed in my result and have a lot of physical conditioning to do if I want to remain competitive in that particular series, but I still had a good time hanging out with folks.
received_509435960806291.jpeg

received_962849097722720.jpeg

Aaaaaand the professionally shot images are proving very hard to upload so I'll just link them, hopefully this shit works.

20220417_142229.jpg

NEPG, Dragons Back in VA. I made some small adjustments and felt comfortable on the bike this weekend and thought I would at least be in the top half of the class. Finishing 40th in B Vet out of 56 didn't really support that feeling, but at least I was having fun :laughing:

92686052-DSC_0867-XL.jpg

I drove 10 hours each way to go see my cousins and do some sand dune racing in Glenrock, WY this weekend. Didn't win enough money to make the trip pay for itself, but I was up against a bad fast fitness freak and a pro NHHA racer, so it seems like I faired pretty well considering.

Shenanigans for this race included stopping mid-race in the pits to take a shit, and running out of gas on my last lap because i underestimated how long 2 hours +1 lap on the leader is. Still some fun, this tire is an absolute monster in sand and vegetated prairie. Race rig worked out great too! only $300 or so in fuel cost for a 1400 mile round trip.
20220620_113953.jpg
20220620_114517.jpg

Capture4.JPG

Top Back Refresh