What's new

Did you color your firearm?

FlatLander

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Want to camo a hunting rifle. What did you use and how is it holding up?

Cerakote, KG, hydro dip, stickers, rattle can, Sharpie, Premium Skins,...?

Some "camo" spray paint from the surplus store. mask off the important stuff and cover it with foliage from the are it is to be used in and start painting.

I have done spray paint and cloth wraps. I haven't for 30 years so technology has changed. LOL
Spray paint was easy to touch up. Boring flat colors. Really liked the cloth bandages because it can be removed but it sure did soak up the water if it rained on ya.

Funny, I used to dress up in Camo for deer hunting, some for turkey or duck I hated it. Hate the camo look.

My kids on the other hand love it. I don't get it.

Duracoat.

I don't feel like I have any artistic talent, but I think it came out pretty good. It sticks much better to metal than plastic.

20171020_104713.jpg

Coleman's surplus use to have camo paint in a shaker can.

Havnt camo'd a gun in a while. Earth tones of paint, grab some grass or whatever if you wanna pattern. If you don't like it, just paint over it!

A matte clear coat over your spray paint makes a big difference on durability.

I've had good success with Brownells Aluma-Hyde. Prep and cure time seem to be the biggest factors in longevity.

Duracoat.

I don't feel like I have any artistic talent, but I think it came out pretty good. It sticks much better to metal than plastic.
Good to know. This is going to be a mostly plastic/composite build on the visible bits.

I just built a new 300RUM and my Manners LRH is still 5 months out. I had a cheap walnut stock from Boyd I put it in temporarily so I can hunt with it for now. I used Krylon spray paint and a large cell sponge and a satin clear coat afterward.

adNvwWM.jpg

Tp61dmd.jpg

Found some sorta blueish Grey paint that I liked. Hit it with some webbing spray afterwards. Done a few like this one. Light enough color to sharpie a drop chart on the stock even
Resized_20211023_112858_1458497564726674.jpeg

Savage 110 done with sponge and krylon with a few coats of matt clear. Has held up great so far.
110.jpeg
Sweet! I have the same model rifle and was wondering how it would look. I’m gonna have to do it!

anyone do the cerakote stuff?
I just did some pistons with their thermal barrier shit and good god does that shit stink something fierce
is it all like that? jesus

anyone do the cerakote stuff?
I just did some pistons with their thermal barrier shit and good god does that shit stink something fierce
is it all like that? jesus
Yes. Good paints have the good solvents. I hope you were wearing a respirator.

Krylon for me. The carbine I broke up the stripes by spraying the opposite color through a chunk of shelf liner, the other one I pulled a branch off the cedar in the back yard. It does scratch/chip but it's easy enough to touch up.

PXL_20220811_024048648.jpg

PXL_20220820_204031869.jpg

Couple coats of matte clear coat seem to make a big difference on the durability

Trex arms has a few vids on painting guns, I like the fully coated guns. Had my hunting rifle done by the old PBB member in CO as I didn't have any idea how to do it then. That was probably 10 years ago and it's held up well. He did the scope, action, barrel, and trigger. The stock was a green/grey laminate that is sorta camo-ish.

Top Back Refresh