What's new

DeWalt 20v Sawzall

Aggie06

I ain't the one to blame.
Member Number
Loc
Balls Deep South Texas
My corded Milwaukee finally died a while back. Looking to replace it with a battery powered version. I’m looking at the 20v DeWalt versions as I have batteries for those already. Is the XR worth the extra $50 over the 20v max? Any experience with these?

Brushless is the big difference between the xr and 20v max. I have one 20v max drill, all the rest is xr stuff. The 20v max drill is about dead after a few years, everything else is mint.

XR recip saw all the way. I have one, and it's bad ass, often faster cutting metal than a band saw.

We have an XR 20v sawzall at work, it will blister your hand in no time flat, but it will keep up with a corded sawzall all day long with 6 or 8 amp hour batteries.

Aaron Z

I think both of mine are non xr, and I don't even have a corded one anymore, I imagine the xr is a badass

A battery powered sawzall is not a replacement for even the shittiest corded sawzall unless you only use it for jobs that could be done with hand saws. Buy the cheapest POS corded sawzall and be done with it.

A battery powered sawzall is not a replacement for even the shittiest corded sawzall unless you only use it for jobs that could be done with hand saws. Buy the cheapest POS corded sawzall and be done with it.
Have you used something like the cordless 20V XR DeWalt sawzall with a 6+ ah battery?
We have a pair of them at work and a pair of corded DeWalt sawzalls. The cordless ones will happily keep up with the corded ones as long as the battery holds out (which a 6 or 8 amp hour battery will do for several hours), we had guys cutting two and five inch steel pipe and it's stands into human manageable pieces the other day with a sawzall and a band saw, they went through four batteries between the two saws working most of the day on that project.
The only time we get out a corded sawzall anymore is if the cordless sawzalls are in use.

Aaron Z

I used to think that, but it's not true. My pos corded sawzall is gone now, replaced by the xr.

5ah battery has enough juice to chop down 6 5/8" wedge anchors after install with tons of capacity left. Its amazing.

I have an older Dewalt, it is almost too much. when the blade gets stuck it is like your vision blurrs :laughing:

I can only think the newer ones are more powerful

I have the Brushless 60V and the XR 20. They work great.

I have a 30 year old corded Milwaukee. As I accumulated a set of DeWalt 20V/60V tools, I picked up the 20V XR but just didn't feel it had the "oomph" that the Milwaukee does (still use the Milwaukee). So I sold it to a buddy and picked up the 60V saw. No complaints with that one.

I've got the big 60v one and the 20v compact one...both are nice for their purpose and my shitty corded one hasn't come out since I got them. I like that I can easily one hand the 20v compact and even use it for breaking down double walled cardboard and other little fiddly stuff. The 60v is almost too much to handle at times if it gets caught up with an aggressive blade on.

I have an older Dewalt, it is almost too much. when the blade gets stuck it is like your vision blurrs :laughing:

I can only think the newer ones are more powerful
The new cordless ones will cut out when under a load like that. It is an annoying safety feature :homer:

The new cordless ones will cut out when under a load like that. It is an annoying safety feature :homer:

Ive noticed that with a couple tools, most recently with my 20v brushless trim router. Seems to be caused at least partially by the battery getting hot.

My experience has been, work the tool till it trips, power off and on, it'll go again, but it'll trip quickly afterwards. Swap batteries and it won't trip for a long while.

Top Back Refresh