What's new

Dethmachinefab go fast buggy build.

Dethmachinefab

Red Skull Member
Member Number
photo96.jpg
photo98.jpg
Building a lightweight motorcycle engine powered buggy.

Last edited:
I've got a pair of cbr1000rr engines, may do a turbo set up once this is running. It will be a two seat buggy. Trying to keep light weight and maintain strength. Chassis is 1.5 and 1.25 DOM in various wall sizes. 30in tires and good brakes. A arm front suspension and trailing arm rear, spending a good bit of time getting geometry correct. Hoping to find a vw bug tunnel with title to weld into the floor pan.

I was gonna do a thread on the rebuilding of my mini Baja car. After seeing this there is no competition, yours is gonna be so much cooler. Bunch of questions time!
What are you using to model the suspension geometry? What are you gonna use for a rack or steering box? Plans to limit bump steer?

I was gonna do a thread on the rebuilding of my mini Baja car. After seeing this there is no competition, yours is gonna be so much cooler. Bunch of questions time!
What are you using to model the suspension geometry? What are you gonna use for a rack or steering box? Plans to limit bump steer?

I'm interested in the steering too, hurry. Killer work

Do it! We need more build threads. I used vsusp.com to figure out the basic geometry. Its going to use a rack with spreader, and I should be able to locate it where it will have minimal bump steer.

I've got a pair of cbr1000rr engines, may do a turbo set up once this is running. It will be a two seat buggy. Trying to keep light weight and maintain strength. Chassis is 1.5 and 1.25 DOM in various wall sizes. 30in tires and good brakes. A arm front suspension and trailing arm rear, spending a good bit of time getting geometry correct. Hoping to find a vw bug tunnel with title to weld into the floor pan.

There was a guy on youtube to built a sxs buggie like yours.

He used a 1000cc bike engine iirc, and he said he wished he had used a sxs engine. I believe the torque curve on the sxs was better compared to the liter bike engine.

Regardless I think it will be a cool build, I have debated doing the same.

There was a guy on youtube to built a sxs buggie like yours.

He used a 1000cc bike engine iirc, and he said he wished he had used a sxs engine. I believe the torque curve on the sxs was better compared to the liter bike engine.

Regardless I think it will be a cool build, I have debated doing the same.

A long time ago I had a single seat 600cc buggy that was fun when it wasn't broken. This will be heavier no doubt but should still be able to get out of its own way. I thought about a 3 cyl turbo diesel but it's more work, weight and expense than I want to take on. I just checked some cbr1000rr torque curves and it's pretty flat. This is a learning experience on the way to a full size car build in the future, and mostly about figuring out suspension and car design.

You know we all want to see a build thread relating to your pimp ass house right?:grinpimp: Im super jealous every time you post pictures of it.

You know we all want to see a build thread relating to your pimp ass house right?:grinpimp: Im super jealous every time you post pictures of it.

Thanks. Its still a work in progress. We started finishing off some loft space upstairs but it's on hold until I can get some sheetrock guys in. Still need to build a staircase and finish a ton of trim. We did spend a bit of time outside building stone walls and leveling/seeding dirt to hopefully get grass to grow.

A long time ago I had a single seat 600cc buggy that was fun when it wasn't broken. This will be heavier no doubt but should still be able to get out of its own way. I thought about a 3 cyl turbo diesel but it's more work, weight and expense than I want to take on. I just checked some cbr1000rr torque curves and it's pretty flat. This is a learning experience on the way to a full size car build in the future, and mostly about figuring out suspension and car design.

Thanks,

I need to go back to pirate and see your other thread. Did you start with drawling your plans in cad, or is this a build as you go?

your parts make me think you have a cnc plasma you are using.

Thanks,

I need to go back to pirate and see your other thread. Did you start with drawling your plans in cad, or is this a build as you go?

your parts make me think you have a cnc plasma you are using.

Totally build as i go, the scrap pile is evidence of this :laughing:. Finish a part, get a better idea and make another.

I've got a decent little shop with a cnc plasma and a bunch of other stuff.

20200521_205947.jpg
Not much progress this week. I've been slammed with customer jobs. I did get this first bit of the chassis done. The space between the trailing arm mounts and the uniball misalignment is for some toe adjustment via spacers.

this thread alone was worth coming over here. Thanks for posting

A little more progress after junking the tube work I did the day before. This box tube frame and trailing arm mounts are much nicer and stronger. Still more boxing in and bracing to be done.
20200523_204713.jpg
20200523_204906.jpg

If I keep following this build I will end up lighting my shitbox deathkart on fire in short order.

Well then you can thank me for keeping you alive, because your deathkart will live up to its name. Its going to be sketchy fast. I had one similar, the cheap atv tires i used would get real tall and skinny over 100 and the rear only brakes were worthless.

Very cool. Just helped a buddy finish up a 2wd rig about like this. Hayabusa, large turbo, good internal, guibo into a proformance Tcase. No front drive used, just using the case for reduction/quick change and reverse. Then a shielded boot CV shaft into an Audi v8 rear third. CV input and outputs already on it and narrow. Just drove it for the first time just over a week ago. Holley self learning stuff is still self learning. He used a set of Maverick X3 shocks he got cheap off ebay and built around them. Rzr plastics front and rear, the rest tube and sheet metal. Roughly 1400 lbs wet
Edit: the last one I did all the plate work on for him was similar to yours, sprocket/cv flange carrier and engine above and in front of it. Worked well, just no reverse. Light and SIMPLE though.

Very cool. Just helped a buddy finish up a 2wd rig about like this. Hayabusa, large turbo, good internal, guibo into a proformance Tcase. No front drive used, just using the case for reduction/quick change and reverse. Then a shielded boot CV shaft into an Audi v8 rear third. CV input and outputs already on it and narrow. Just drove it for the first time just over a week ago. Holley self learning stuff is still self learning. He used a set of Maverick X3 shocks he got cheap off ebay and built around them. Rzr plastics front and rear, the rest tube and sheet metal. Roughly 1400 lbs wet
Edit: the last one I did all the plate work on for him was similar to yours, sprocket/cv flange carrier and engine above and in front of it. Worked well, just no reverse. Light and SIMPLE though.

I'm surprised at the weight with all that. Gives me hope, balancing weight and durability is difficult when you don't have much experience in whats needed.

The amount of time I would spend making this. :eek: Awesome work.

Cnc plasma and press brakes make it much faster. I remember the old days hacking it out with a sawzall and bending it in the vise, don't know how I got anything done.

Nice work. I look forward to watching this come together!

Top Back Refresh