What's new

Derrick truck

Blown4x4

Member Number
I purchased a 1968 Ford F800 Derrick truck a couple years back for cheap, with plans on fixing it up enough to pick and haul machines tools, parts, etc. The polecat crane operates, as does the hoist on the end. It also came with a drive motor and a auger that was mounted at some point to the polecat.

I need to dig some footings for a bridge crane I’m installing in my shop so it’s time to put the F800 to work.

I unsuccessfully searched the web for a manual for the polecat. The axles have the Lucas gerling style brakes and widow maker split rims. The engine is a 361 industrial with a 5 speed non overdrive transmission.

i do have a set of 2.5 ton rockwells with the bus brake setup which I plan on swapping in. Not sure if the rockwells are gonna be enough for this thing but I’m gonna go with it for now.
B83F9A5E-5390-46C1-A6BB-DBC40AA871AA.jpeg

How will the Rockwells help drill the holes?

How will the Rockwells help drill the holes?

The stock brake system is completely shot, and expensive to replace. The rockwells have brand new brakes. I may try to convert the stock axles over to disk brakes. The front would be easy to convert have no idea on the rear.

His wife saw it....... The end. :lmao:

Funny you should mention that. She does in fact hate it. The look on her face when I said I was going to get it operational to work on the footers :laughing::laughing:

makes the project even more worth it

Altec bought what was left of Pitman about 10 years ago. We had one polecat left up until 5ish years ago and I seem to remember the mechanics getting some parts from them. Might be worth a call.

I've never messed with one that old so I don't know if it was a thing then, but if it has dielectric hydraulic hoses in the boom they're all likely shot.

Altec bought what was left of Pitman about 10 years ago. We had one polecat left up until 5ish years ago and I seem to remember the mechanics getting some parts from them. Might be worth a call.

I've never messed with one that old so I don't know if it was a thing then, but if it has dielectric hydraulic hoses in the boom they're all likely shot.

Good to know. I found a owners manual and a service manual for this model of polecat on eBay, so I got those coming. I’ve got one last project I’ve got to wrap up this week. My hopes are to dive in this weekend.

Those rims are only widow makers if you don't know what you're doing. Take the proper safety precautions and you'll have no problems. I've reached the point in my life where I take stuff like that to Les Schwab and let some young guys beat on old tires and rims to break the bead.
Good luck on getting parts for the digger if Altec bought out the company. You might get lucky but being as old as it is I wouldn't bet on it. Been there tried to do it for some older buckets and diggers when I was a shop foreman for a telecom construction company.

Those rims are only widow makers if you don't know what you're doing. Take the proper safety precautions and you'll have no problems. I've reached the point in my life where I take stuff like that to Les Schwab and let some young guys beat on old tires and rims to break the bead.
Good luck on getting parts for the digger if Altec bought out the company. You might get lucky but being as old as it is I wouldn't bet on it. Been there tried to do it for some older buckets and diggers when I was a shop foreman for a telecom construction company.

The manager at my local Les Schwab said they wouldn’t touch these older Firestone rims. I have some 24.5’s I will be using instead.

One of the Polecat books showed up. It’s got a bunch of useful information and diagrams.

A6D6683F-104B-4533-9C4C-E586FBD0DB09.jpeg

Any smaller Mexican tire shops around? That's who do our 5° firestones if les schwab won't.

X2

Guess who will also put 12.5" wide tires on factory Toyota 7" wide wheels :grinpimp:

yes...discount is becoming a bitch to even put tires on my 7.5 wide rims when it calls for 8 in wide rims..

Top Back Refresh