What's new

Delay off timer?

Deuce 40s

Yogurt Slinger
Member Number
Loc
NC
I'm installing a remote mounted exhaust vent for the bathroom in the attic. I'm looking a delay off timer, so when the switch is turned off the vent will still run for a set amount of time. Like 10 or 20 minutes, whatever I set it at initially.

I know there are wall switches with built in timers, those are nice but I don't want it visible. I want a single switch for the vent and the vent will turn off later at a set time that can't be seen.

What's out there that will work in this application?

Mcmaster Carr has adjustable timed relays and sockets, 7268K47. Do you really need the fan to run for 20 min after taking a shit? A shower needs that long to clear the humidity but if 5 min doesn't clear the stench go see a Dr!

Mcmaster Carr has adjustable timed relays and sockets, 7268K47. Do you really need the fan to run for 20 min after taking a shit? A shower needs that long to clear the humidity but if 5 min doesn't clear the stench go see a Dr!

It's for the shower primarily. I like to shit, shower and shave all in a row for maximum efficiency. :smokin:

https://www.mcmaster.com/7268K47

This is what you linked. Fawking expensive for what it is. So if I'm reading it right, it is adjustable up to 1800 seconds, or 30 minutes?

Then I'll need one of these to go with it:
https://www.mcmaster.com/7122K19

With that relay socket and timer, can I control fans from two different bathrooms? In other words, can the one timer and 8 terminals be activated from 2 different switches?

427F1B55-F36B-449F-A865-6280A097EC65.jpeg
This is what I use. This will do a ton of different timer setups. I use it as a off delay. This is the 120volt model. I use it to turn a 60hp pump on and off when the signal says we are feeding it sand or not. That way I don’t have clear water cleaning my sluice box out lol

the timer relay is the thing in the middle.

With that relay socket and timer, can I control fans from two different bathrooms? In other words, can the one timer and 8 terminals be activated from 2 different switches?

Negative, it's a single relay with extra contacts. 2 sets NO and 2 sets NC but they all switch at the same time.

Edit: yes, 30min

Last edited:
Reconsider using a standard push button type timer. Those remote bath fans are quiet, if someone forgets to turn the switch off your fan could run for days.

Reconsider using a standard push button type timer. Those remote bath fans are quiet, if someone forgets to turn the switch off your fan could run for days.

I'm not considering a push button type. I want it automatic, every time. I don't know why it has to cost $110+ though.

Negative, it's a single relay with extra contacts. 2 sets NO and 2 sets NC but they all switch at the same time.

Edit: yes, 30min

I don't know what NO and NC mean, but presumably I'd need to buy another timer and socket when I replace the fan in the other bathroom. This single fan has the capacity to vacate both at the same time but I don't think I want that.

This is what I use. This will do a ton of different timer setups. I use it as a off delay. This is the 120volt model. I use it to turn a 60hp pump on and off when the signal says we are feeding it sand or not. That way I don’t have clear water cleaning my sluice box out lol

the timer relay is the thing in the middle.

https://www.alliedelec.com/product/schneider-electric-legacy-relays/821td10h-uni/70185027/

This looks about right, but I'm not sure how to wire it. Say I have 12/2 feeding it. Is it as simple as black/white in and black/white out?

I don't know what NO and NC mean, but presumably I'd need to buy another timer and socket when I replace the fan in the other bathroom. This single fan has the capacity to vacate both at the same time but I don't think I want that.

Normally Open, Normally Closed.

https://www.alliedelec.com/product/schneider-electric-legacy-relays/821td10h-uni/70185027/

This looks about right, but I'm not sure how to wire it. Say I have 12/2 feeding it. Is it as simple as black/white in and black/white out?

Pretty simple it needs 120 allways hot and a neutral. The three comming out of the top are hot, signal from switch then neutral. Bottom is hot in and hot out to fan. So the switch only triggers the timer. The timer is actually running the fan. If you want me to draw a picture I can. It’s super simple.

Pretty simple it needs 120 allways hot and a neutral. The three comming out of the top are hot, signal from switch then neutral. Bottom is hot in and hot out to fan. So the switch only triggers the timer. The timer is actually running the fan. If you want me to draw a picture I can. It’s super simple.

If you could draw something, that would be awesome. Perhaps with a fan on one end of the diagram and a switch on the other :grinpimp:.

This is what their Function Definition Table says for Off Delay:
Input voltage U must be applied continuously. When trigger switch S is closed, relay contacts R change state. When trigger switch S is opened, delay t begins. When delay t is complete, contacts R return to their shelf state. If trigger switch S is closed before time delay t is complete, then time is reset. When trigger switch S is opened, the delay begins again, and relay contacts R remain in their energized state. If input voltage U is removed, relay contacts R return to their shelf state.

Is this saying the switch needs to have a separate power source so that it's hot all the time regardless of switch state?

No
normally open (off position)
Nc
Normally closed (on position)
and referring to the contact sets.
:homer: stupid slow phone I now see that you already got this information.

I used a motion detecting switch; they can be configured to be manual on - auto off after 1, 5, 10, 15, 30 minutes (at least the one I have). I have it set for 15 minutes; it goes off automatically after 15 minutes of no motion. You come in, you hit the switch (manual on), do your thing, leave and 15 minutes later the fan shuts off. The only caveat to this is if someone comes in at 14 minutes and uses the bathroom, it resets (motion was detected) for another 15 minutes. I use it for the light in the kid's bathroom too, but set for 30 minutes; they're supposed to turn it off, but if they forget it turns off automatically after 30, plus it serves as a timer for my daughter to get out of the shower after 30 minutes since the sensor doesn't see past the shower curtain!

Top Back Refresh