What's new

DEF while on road trips?

Wades_76_cj7

RZR guy, NO I am not gay..
Member Number
Loc
KC MO
For those of you that travel pulling big trailers with crawlers/toys or big RVs do you go the truck stop bulk DEF route when filling up and pay the truck stop premium on fuel or do you bring a couple jugs of DEF from Walmart/Farm Fleet?

I have bought a jug of DEF from gas stations when I didn't have any other choice before but prefer to carry a couple jugs with me from Walmart. My '15 RAM uses about 5 gallons of DEF per 1000 miles when pulling my big trailer or camper. So I normally fill my DEF before leaving home and carrying 5 gallons with me for the return trip.

I buy at truck stops. Have the little magnetic adapter and just fuel up at the truck island while getting diesel.

Much cheaper than jugs.

I buy at truck stops. Have the little magnetic adapter and just fuel up at the truck island while getting diesel.

Much cheaper than jugs.
I have bought it in bulk at the truck stops but I generally don't stop for fuel there since they are usually $.30+ a gallon higher on fuel.

You don't have to buy fuel there. If you have never used it. The DEF is set up on it's only separate pump. separate hose and nozzle.
Just swipe your card and go like regular gasoline or diesel pump.
But you do need the adapter or it will not turn on.

Otherwise I would take a couple jugs along. That is probably the only way you can be sure you won't be caught in a shortage someplace.

You don't have to buy fuel there. If you have never used it. The DEF is set up on it's only separate pump. separate hose and nozzle.
Just swipe your card and go like regular gasoline or diesel pump.
But you do need the adapter or it will not turn on.

Otherwise I would take a couple jugs along. That is probably the only way you can be sure you won't be caught in a shortage someplace.
I have bought bulk DEF at truck stops before. All the DEF pumps around here require a fleetcard or you have to go in and prepay.. Walmart DEF used to be nearly the same price as bulk DEF locally. with the price jump lately the Supertech jugs of it are a little higher per gallon now.

Start with a full tank and buy from truck stops as needed. Don't buy fuel from there unless its reasonable.

I still have not seen the need for the adapter?

Interesting, I haven't bought DEF in a while because I deleted mine. My new truck needs DEF but so far we have a tank at work I use.

Maybe things have changed but when they first started doing this each big truck had the pictured adapter in it as part of the fill neck. There was a sensor in the nozzle. It was to keep guys from putting DEF in their diesel tanks. The nozzle would not dispense without it.

If you didn't have the adapter you could go inside and get one from behind the counter.

I carried one in my tool box, Slipped it on the nozzle when I filled up. Actually never tried to even get DEF without using it, but we had drivers having these stolen out of their DEF tanks and that is how we learned about it. They would have to go in a borrow one. We ended up buying like 20 of them. I have 4 left. Haven't had to replace one in a couple years now.

Attachments

• 41HoPRdSHeL._SX342_.jpg
    41HoPRdSHeL._SX342_.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 5
I typically carry two Walmart jugs with me for any long trip.

Thanks OP for letting me know about the DEF adapter. Didn't know that was a thing.

Interesting, I haven't bought DEF in a while because I deleted mine. My new truck needs DEF but so far we have a tank at work I use.

Maybe things have changed but when they first started doing this each big truck had the pictured adapter in it as part of the fill neck. There was a sensor in the nozzle. It was to keep guys from putting DEF in their diesel tanks. The nozzle would not dispense without it.

If you didn't have the adapter you could go inside and get one from behind the counter.

I carried one in my tool box, Slipped it on the nozzle when I filled up. Actually never tried to even get DEF without using it, but we had drivers having these stolen out of their DEF tanks and that is how we learned about it. They would have to go in a borrow one. We ended up buying like 20 of them. I have 4 left. Haven't had to replace one in a couple years now.
Interesting, I have never used one of those.
I drive a service truck that uses DEF (IH CV) as well as my personal Ford truck

I have never seen the adapter either.. I wasn't sure what Tiha was talking about.. :laughing:

I just googled it. Apparently it is a local thing I guess? But not it is not required and it is not on every pump. It is an option. I had no idea. Figured it was required.

Well if DEF doesn't come out of the nozzle, now you know why. LOL

21Gu™ DEF Nozzle​

The Industry's Most Comprehensive DEF/AdBlue-Filling Solution​

• End-to-end dispensing hardware solution for reliable, efficient DEF/AdBlue-filling
  • Industry standard DEF/AdBlue-filling solution in Europe
  • Unique Mis-Filling Prevention Device (MFPD) provides unparalleled filling assurance and peace of mind
  • Affordable mis-filling prevention insurance designed to protect your investment against potential mis-filling mishaps

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    36.2 KB · Views: 6
I've never needed an adapter for my Duramax. I have a fuel card and use the truck island pump. It is not over priced, it's about the same price as Walmart or Rural King. Of course, I don't know what the price is without the discount fuel card.

I pretty much default to truck stop DEF these days. It's so much easier than buying a bunch of gallon or 2.5 gallon cans and is about half the price.

I don't really have to fill the DEF that often to necessitate needing a spare gallon - the truck will give you plenty of warning that it's getting low.

i would gladly pay any truck stop increase of .30/gal to not have to find another stop.

but, i also have kids when i travel and a gassser tow pig... but really when i'm traveling, tens of dollars for convenience is well spent in my book.

i would gladly pay any truck stop increase of .30/gal to not have to find another stop.

but, i also have kids when i travel and a gassser tow pig... but really when i'm traveling, tens of dollars for convenience is well spent in my book.
LOL so true when traveling with kids. $9 extra for fuel is nothing compared to another stop. Glady pay.

I've never heard of all this.

Montana has a town pump truck stop in every town. I just pull up to the truck pumps and fill with diesel and def. Just swipe a card and go. Same price as everyone else in town, def is cheaper than Walmart.

I'm not loving the Duramax, as I'm not a fan of the diesel stank, def, cost, etc. I do appreciate putting in 30 gallons in a minute or two at the truck pumps. Usually less time than I can fill the def.

Top Back Refresh