What's new

Deep Hole saws ? Thanks

PAE

🚨 King of the Who ?🚨
Member Number
Loc
🚨
Looking for extra deep hole saw somewhere in 2 inch diameter.

So if a standard hole saw is 2-3 inches deep would want at least 6 inches deep.

I know about diamond core bits for drilling concrete but need a deep hole saw with standard cutting teeth like the bimetal saws.

Any ideas where ?

What's your application and what's your plan to locate it when you start drilling? (Start with a regular holesaw and pilot, then swap to the deep holesaw...?)

Reactions: PAE
Yep thats the plan.

I believe JMR used to make deep hole saws.

I have made a couple myself by getting the same ID/OD tubing i blieve it was .095 or so wall thickness and then take an old worn hole saw and weld a new one I cut the threaded end off of or cut it in half one side to each end. Then lightly grind it smooth and go for it. Use a piece of angle iron to keep straight. I tacked it and then spun in drill and tapped it accordingly to get straighter.

I believe JMR used to make deep hole saws.

I have made a couple myself by getting the same ID/OD tubing i blieve it was .095 or so wall thickness and then take an old worn hole saw and weld a new one I cut the threaded end off of or cut it in half one side to each end. Then lightly grind it smooth and go for it. Use a piece of angle iron to keep straight. I tacked it and then spun in drill and tapped it accordingly to get straighter.
I've done similar when I worked at my uncles circle track chassis shop. We would sometimes run out of new hole saws at the most inconvenient times but there was always a bucket of used/broken ones under the bench. Find a good top and a good bottom in the bucket, cut both in half and tack the good sides together on angle iron and spin it in the drill to get it "close enough".

I've also mig welded at least a hundred band saw blades back together between the chassis shop and personal use at home in the shop. I make sure I get every last drop of use out of them. :grinpimp:

I've done similar when I worked at my uncles circle track chassis shop. We would sometimes run out of new hole saws at the most inconvenient times but there was always a bucket of used/broken ones under the bench. Find a good top and a good bottom in the bucket, cut both in half and tack the good sides together on angle iron and spin it in the drill to get it "close enough".
How the fuck are you breaking the tops of hole saws before you wear out the teeth?

How the fuck are you breaking the tops of hole saws before you wear out the teeth?

Sometimes they would jamb up in the tube and on the rare occasion it didn't wreck the saw the threads would strip out. My uncle always had a huge old school metal cased corded drill hooked to his notcher. It wasn't for pussies, and if you didn't stand next to it with your body propped against it to stop the drill from spinning if the hole saw caught, it would twist your arms off. He had a bunch of unsafe machinery like that in his shop. :laughing:

Sometimes they would jamb up in the tube and on the rare occasion it didn't wreck the saw the threads would strip out. My uncle always had a huge old school metal cased corded drill hooked to his notcher. It wasn't for pussies, and if you didn't stand next to it with your body propped against it to stop the drill from spinning if the hole saw caught, it would twist your arms off. He had a bunch of unsafe machinery like that in his shop. :laughing:
Our 5 or 6" one at work had a new nut welded to it.

Top Back Refresh