What's new

Death wobble cures?

YotaAtieToo

Thick skull
Member Number
Loc
Bonners Ferry, ID
Been a while since I had death wobble. Put some dumb 36 iroks on my samurai for snow and I've never had something death wobble so much, like from 2 mph up to as like 45. :laughing:

Before I've had it come on right at like 35, but was kinda manageable.

I tried pulling toe in a bit, but almost seemed worse.

Maybe some balance beads? I don't hardly drive it, so if there is a dumb bandaid like 1" toe out I'll do it. :laughing:

Are IROKs brandy new?

I don’t think balancing them will help much if death wobble starts at that such low speed.

how are your caster, king pins (or whatever they’re called on samurai axle), steering linkages and steering box? Usually more than 1 thing loose/bad will cause a DW

Are IROKs brandy new?

No, opposite of that

20240106_122542.jpg

I don’t think balancing them will help much if death wobble starts at that such low speed.

Good point

how are your caster, king pins (or whatever they’re called on samurai axle), steering linkages and steering box? Usually more than 1 thing loose/bad will cause a DW

Eye ball, caster looks to be 4-6* I'm aware it may not be perfect.

Main thing is that it wasn't an issue before, and that's with beat down sxs tire on weld on beadlocks. Figured these would actually run more true. But it's probably just a dumb scrub radius issue. Basically just looking for a bandaid so I can drive 10 miles down the road to play in the snow.

What air pressure you have in them?

Try like 3-5 psi lol. Probably will help a lot by to not be as tendency to start bouncing.

I run my 36x13.5R15 IROK bias on 15x8 at 7 or 8 on street, even then shoulder barely touch the road.

Tighten all of your hardware on your ubolts
And shackles. Thats a problem I had till i
Replaced all the worn out junk.

Reactions: Clb
One of the O.G. ' S turned me on to this...
Check the spring eye bushes and swing shackles for exess slop.
Fwiw don't crank em super tight just snugged up.
2 effin slow:lmao:

Basically just looking for a bandaid so I can drive 10 miles down the road to play in the snow.
I read that toe-out bandaid work well. I haven’t get to personally prove this out.

One bandaid I learned by accident awhile ago that driving in 4wd help keep front end to calm down.

Don't take this as me being a dick but death wobble is not a surprise with what you have going on. That's a lot of tire, a lot of worn tire, a lot of offset, on an axle that came with like 27's.

You may end up replacing every wear item on that setup and still not shake it. No pun intended.

Don't take this as me being a dick but death wobble is not a surprise with what you have going on. That's a lot of tire, a lot of worn tire, a lot of offset, on an axle that came with like 27's.

You may end up replacing every wear item on that setup and still not shake it. No pun intended.

No shit, last I checked this was jkowners.com :flipoff2:

Believe it or not, the front end is all pretty new. Rebuilt the knuckles and hubs not to long ago and steering is all newer hiems.

I was hoping to ditch the 1.5" spacer on the front, but these wheels don't clear the hiem on the drag link.

What air pressure you have in them?

Try like 3-5 psi lol. Probably will help a lot by to not be as tendency to start bouncing.

I run my 36x13.5R15 IROK bias on 15x8 at 7 or 8 on street, even then shoulder barely touch the road.

Ding ding ding

First run was 10 psi, 2nd was like 30 cause I feel like it may help seat the beads after mounting. Plus I wasn't sure if more pressure would help.

Went and played in the snow, dropped down to basically nothing. Threw some air in on the way back just to get some power back. Apparently some was 2.5 psi and even with chunks of snow in the wheels it didn't wobble at all on the way back :laughing:

20240106_155900.jpg
20240106_174008.jpg

Stop you are hurting my feelings 😭

Maybe new bushings and shorter shackles. Get some tires that are new and narrower. Maybe something that isn't as heavy as an IROK. Those are heavy MFers.

Just some more dick advice from the master penis. Follow me for more advice 🤘

Stop you are hurting my feelings 😭

Maybe new bushings and shorter shackles. Get some tires that are new and narrower. Maybe something that isn't as heavy as an IROK. Those are heavy MFers.

Just some more dick advice from the master penis. Follow me for more advice 🤘

Why not just go buy a new gladiator? :flipoff2:

How do you know it doesn't have new bushings? The front end is all tight, newer leafs, bushings, bearings, ect.

I understand that nice new tires would solve it, that's clear the dumb tires are the issue. also iroks are one of the lightest tires of thier sizes. :homer:

Also, lower pressure solved it.

Buying a Gladiator is like wearing skinny jeans. Sure they function as regular jeans but they are skinny jeans...

All it takes is one bushing to be slightly out of shape and it goes to shit. Especially with all that extra leverage like taller shackles, big wide tires, lots of offset.

My truck would be undrivable due to a 1/16" of play in a spring bushing because it had a slight oval to it.

Buying a Gladiator is like wearing skinny jeans. Sure they function as regular jeans but they are skinny jeans...

All it takes is one bushing to be slightly out of shape and it goes to shit. Especially with all that extra leverage like taller shackles, big wide tires, lots of offset.

My truck would be undrivable due to a 1/16" of play in a spring bushing because it had a slight oval to it.

Maybe you're not understanding the purpose of this rig.

I got it for $500 and use it as a SxS. It's got a ton of leftover parts thrown in it, but also, like I said, its pretty new up front. I fully know these tires are way too big for a Sami axle. But this is what it does, so I'll deal with running 3 psi on the treat and a little shimmy :flipoff2:

Maybe you're not understanding the purpose of this rig.

I got it for $500 and use it as a SxS. It's got a ton of leftover parts thrown in it, but also, like I said, its pretty new up front. I fully know these tires are way too big for a Sami axle. But this is what it does, so I'll deal with running 3 psi on the treat and a little shimmy :flipoff2:
Wheres the video of you just coming to a stop in the 4' tall snow wall down the side of the road :flipoff2:

Better steering stablelizer.

Lower pressure is probably absorbing a lot of that movement instead of transmitting it into the steering.

I had a Samurai awhile ago and I boarded the front springs a little bit. One it out the spring hangers right inline with the frame rail which made it easier to put YJ springs on.

Two it gave me that extra room for taller tires without needing spacers.

Spacers on Sami axles is just the nature of the beast with that little guy.

Top Back Refresh