What's new

DE steering ram suggestions/opinions

The Unknown

Member Number
Loc
PNW
Does anyone run the TG Rock Assault DE ram and if so what is your opinion of it? I am torn between it and the PSC 2.5x8. The PSC has slightly larger rods (1.5 vs TG 1.375) but as far as I can tell is a 2 piece where as the TG has a 1 piece rod. I've read about the PSC rods coming undone but not sure how common of a failure that is. The TG seems like a solid ram based on the specs and details that I have seen but I don't recall seeing anyone actually run one. PSC on the other hand is everywhere. I can have either for right around $500 with clevis', mounting clamps and weld plates. Anyone have an opinion one way or the other? If it helps the axle is a KP 60 with 40's.

I’d go PSC. The TG likely has a bent shaft, garbage seals and the cylinder is probably full of metal shavings from being machined by an 8 year old Chinese kid. :flipoff2:

this is what i was gonna do on my 60 front but decided to stay with my psc single and go high steer since i just got it.

1629306118924.png

1629306148887.png

The PSC has slightly larger rods (1.5 vs TG 1.375) but as far as I can tell is a 2 piece where as the TG has a 1 piece rod. I've read about the PSC rods coming undone but not sure how common of a failure that is.
I have seen that happen 4 times in the past 3 years. Every time it is due to loose jam nuts on the tie rod heims.

My buggy has a PSC 1 piece shaft for that reason. Unfortunately they don't make them anymore (old XR series).
In my shop there is a vehicle with TG rams all around (4WS) and they seem to do good. I had to replace a boogered fitting on one TG since the male JIC is welded direct on the body. PSC has a female ORB bung and a male ORB / male JIC fitting which can be changed easily..

I have seen a Howe ram taken apart and if I had to do it again, I'd use them. Better all around.

I ordered a standard 2.5x8.75 8" isn't enough travel if using stock knuckle point like an artec) ram from psc about a year ago from psc. I asked about the 2 piece issue and was told that they weld all of them now.

I have seen that happen 4 times in the past 3 years. Every time it is due to loose jam nuts on the tie rod heims.

My buggy has a PSC 1 piece shaft for that reason. Unfortunately they don't make them anymore (old XR series).
In my shop there is a vehicle with TG rams all around (4WS) and they seem to do good. I had to replace a boogered fitting on one TG since the male JIC is welded direct on the body. PSC has a female ORB bung and a male ORB / male JIC fitting which can be changed easily..

I have seen a Howe ram taken apart and if I had to do it again, I'd use them. Better all around.

Thank you for the first hand experience. I didn't consider the fitting situation either. Howe stuff is super nice indeed but they def let you know when you pay for it.
I ordered a standard 2.5x8.75 8" isn't enough travel if using stock knuckle point like an artec) ram from psc about a year ago from psc. I asked about the 2 piece issue and was told that they weld all of them now.

Interesting on both accounts. Was your 60 setup for stock steering angle? Everyone advertises 8" rams as the go to for stock 60's but maybe they are using shorter arms for their measurement IDK. I will be using arms that tie into the stock knuckle location so maybe the 8" won't be enough.

Thank you for the first hand experience. I didn't consider the fitting situation either. Howe stuff is super nice indeed but they def let you know when you pay for it.

Interesting on both accounts. Was your 60 setup for stock steering angle? Everyone advertises 8" rams as the go to for stock 60's but maybe they are using shorter arms for their measurement IDK. I will be using arms that tie into the stock knuckle location so maybe the 8" won't be enough.

I always thought the same thing. When I set up my 60, I already had an 8" SE ram and it definitely wasn't enough in the stock knuckle hole on the artec arms. I'm super anal about max steering angle too.

I bought the DE ram for my father in laws jeep, which was also running artec arms. I called artec and they said that the 8.75 travel is the one you want. I had to cut the nubs off the ried knuckles, but it didn't bind standard shafts at all.

You're right, I just looked on the PSC web page and it says right in the description that the rod is welded. :smokin:

Great info about the ram sizing as well. Like you I want to max out whatever angle I can get and would have been pretty irritated if I bought a ram that was too short.

I'm going to see if I can find a retailer with the 8.75". If it is too long I'll limit it. Thanks for the info and suggestions guys.:beer:

so i have dodge axle with chevy king pin knuckles, factory inner axles chomo outers and i had to limit my 8 inch ram to 6 and 3/4 inch because the ujoints would bottom out on the axle shafts. i am just running it, sure i have to make a three point turn alot. so would aftermarket inners help here or is my drama from the mis matched knuckle and axle?

Top Back Refresh