What's new

Dash Cams, decent one for the low?

crispins

FJB
Member Number
Loc
Pigeon Forge, TN
I know we have had threads like this but the search here does not work good for me.

Is there a good ~$100 camera?

I do not want one with a screen or any light that faces towards me.

Something I can hard wire is what I want.

Thanks

I have a Blueskysea B1W, currently $60 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...91812054244-20
510xUwjcGPL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

I run it on a 12V to USB adapter thats powered off of a key switched circuit so it turns on when the key does.
Works great. Might not get a license plate in all conditions, but it takes good clear video.
Uses an app to view the files and set it up.

Aaron Z

Last edited:
I know we have had threads like this but the search here does not work good for me.

Is there a good ~$100 camera?

I've got an A119S, works just fine. Can also be gotten with a GPS module.
I've got the original G1WC style, probably my prefered style since I'm used to the interface.
And my most used is a DOD 370W. (consider it a modern version of the G1WC, though now outdated)

https://dashcamtalk.com/best-dash-cams-of-2021/

I do not want one with a screen or any light that faces towards me.

Most of them you can set how long the screen stays on after power up (ie: 1min, 3min, 15min) If I remember right the A119 also gives you the option to not turn on at all. I set 'em for 3min, at a glance you can verify that the camera has entered record mode. One of mine I occasionally have to power cycle for it to start up. And it sure makes it easer if it has a screen to change time & date, format the memory card.

My friend has Garmin 35, he's happy with it but does have screen. Handy to able point where you want it and forget it.

My friend has Garmin 35, he's happy with it but does have screen. Handy to able point where you want it and forget it.

ok, I guess what I mean is i want the screen to be dark when I am driving so one that turns the screen off quickly is what I need

https://www.amazon.com/APEMAN-Record...91812054244-20

I got this one its $45. What is funny is the very day I installed it I had some Karen call me in and said I was driving bad. She said where it was. I showed my boss that I was driving very white like and we could not even figure out what lady it was that called me in. So it payed for itself within an hour.

It works good enough you can read the license plate on cars that drive past me in my semi. No rear facing cam. No gps speed crap. You can turn the mic off so people dont hear me screaming at complete fucking idiots. It has a button you can push to save a few minutes. It also saves automatically if it senses a bug bump. I have mine turned down since my truck is rougher riding than a car.

The screen shuts off after maybe 30sec after you turn it on or hit a button. It has a blue light that blinks if its recording. The light is very dim and not easily seen even at night. During the day I have to really get close to see if the light is even on.

Last edited:
ok, I guess what I mean is i want the screen to be dark when I am driving so one that turns the screen off quickly is what I need

I have a Garmin 20 that you can choose to have the screen on or off, been using it for about 4-5 years now without issue.

Last edited:
I have dashcams in both my DD cars. Cant imagine driving without one. Turns a "He-said-she-said" into a "care to revise your statement in light of the video evidence?" situation.

I have cheapo cams that they no longer sell (no screen, no battery). Anything is better than nothing IMO. I am also watching this thread to see what the current state of the art is.

https://www.amazon.com/APEMAN-Record...91812054244-20

I got this one its $45. What is funny is the very day I installed it I had some Karen call me in and said I was driving bad. She said where it was. I showed my boss that I was driving very white like and we could not even figure out what lady it was that called me in. So it payed for itself within an hour.

It works good enough you can read the license plate on cars that drive past me in my semi. No rear facing cam. No gps speed crap. You can turn the mic off so people dont hear me screaming at complete fucking idiots. It has a button you can push to save a few minutes. It also saves automatically if it senses a bug bump. I have mine turned down since my truck is rougher riding than a car.

The screen shuts off after maybe 30sec after you turn it on or hit a button. It has a blue light that blinks if its recording. The light is very dim and not easily seen even at night. During the day I have to really get close to see if the light is even on.

I just ordered that one and got the hardwire kit that plugs into the OBD port as well.

Not a bad price at about $60 for the pair

I have the $45ish Scosche unit from Walmart. While its basic snd only saves video to an Sd card, it works. It saved me from the he said/she said bs when a idiot bitch hit my semi so hard 3 weeks ago that she rolled her pick up twice when it hit the ditch.

Garmin 46. Display times out at 5 sec. The SJ4000 I was using for 5 years or so finally shit the bed.

I just ordered that one and got the hardwire kit that plugs into the OBD port as well.

Not a bad price at about $60 for the pair

It says you can only use some small gb sd card but I have a 64gb card in mine and it just runs constantly evem when the truck is parked. It has been on since last summer it rewrites whatever is not “saved” it has not filled up yet from all the bumps Ive hit and the few times Ive hit saved. Usually only hit save if I see an idiot that might try calling me in, or a cool car, or a hotty. I have not took the card out and checked it since. I probably should but I aint got time for that.

Oh yeah the suction cup works damn good. It has never fallen off since I have had it on. I took it off a few weeks ago when I got a new windshield and it was still holding tight.

I have a RAM mount suction cup and that thing sucks Ram nuts. High dollar garbage.

Last edited:
I wish I would have bought a cheap one. I have a Thinkware U1000 and you are supposed to wifi hotspot for it to work properly. I've had it a year and never have gotten it to work. Biggest disappointment. Been a windshield ornament since I got it

From the Garmin- Amazon page . . .. what exactly is the red light detection ? Also notes that because of this feature unit may not be legal in all locations. Interested in what the feature is and how it works - thanks

There’s gotta be an app for your phone right? The thing I have on a magnet on my dash is probably more capable than any camera listed so far,

It says you can only use some small gb sd card but I have a 64gb card in mine and it just runs constantly evem when the truck is parked. It has been on since last summer it rewrites whatever is not “saved” it has not filled up yet from all the bumps Ive hit and the few times Ive hit saved. Usually only hit save if I see an idiot that might try calling me in, or a cool car, or a hotty. I have not took the card out and checked it since. I probably should but I aint got time for that.

Oh yeah the suction cup works damn good. It has never fallen off since I have had it on. I took it off a few weeks ago when I got a new windshield and it was still holding tight.

I have a RAM mount suction cup and that thing sucks Ram nuts. High dollar garbage.

Does it run off a battery or hardwired?

Also am in the stone age without a dash or rear cam, but I need one that works without an app.

Also it would be helpful to know the best or one of the best double din radio and combo monitor to put in dash.

I have a Z Edge Z3G in my Tahoe and Rexing V1 in my Silverado. Both are under $100. but then add $15-20 for a hardwire kit and $20 for a decent micro SD card.

The Z Edge is nice and fairly compact and my version has a separate rear camera. Great picture (1040 front and rear, or 2080 in front only), very clear very wide angle. NO wifi, so have to pull the card to see video. Built-in GPS. It's suction cupped to the windshield behind the rear view mirror on the passenger side, so as a driver I never see it. Screen turns off based on what you set.

The Rexing is a bit bulkier but has built in wifi so can view in the car via an app. No built-in GPS however an external one can be plugged into it. Single camera only, no option for rear view. Its mounted to the plastic cover around the front view camera/sensors behind the rearview mirror. So I don't really see it either as the driver. Screen also goes off on its own.

Both units are hardwired.

Update **

I got the Apeman that was recommended here along with the hardwire kit

Was under $75.

I have not played with it too much yet.

PXL_20210410_171424151.jpg

I've been meaning to pick something up for myself and the SO. I suppose features - like GPS speed - can be a double edged sword. Help you if it shows you were obeying the laws, but can be used against you if you were speeding.

Any recommendations on features you'd want it to have or that have helped you out in the "I said - they said" situations?

I've been meaning to pick something up for myself and the SO. I suppose features - like GPS speed - can be a double edged sword. Help you if it shows you were obeying the laws, but can be used against you if you were speeding.

Any recommendations on features you'd want it to have or that have helped you out in the "I said - they said" situations?

Exactly why I didn’t want the gps on mine.

I did not want one for the same reason, I think the GPS is cool work work vehicles but not for me personally.

Top Back Refresh