What's new

Dana 70 spitting out some shims

Spudwrench

Member Number
Loc
Mohave Valley, AZ.
Pulled cover because leaking. This does not look right. i am familiar with shims that go on the carrier before the bearing, but what about these? Does this need immediate attention?

Attachments

• KIMG0869.JPG
    KIMG0869.JPG
    363 KB · Views: 114
  • KIMG0870.JPG
    KIMG0870.JPG
    463.9 KB · Views: 40
These 1/8" thick ones should be the outermost shim...

Then those thin ones can't possibly wiggle out.

Well it was impossible to get them back in. they are damaged. these are really thin, stack of 4 on each side. The spacer above would be way to thick.

i found this information:

Carrier-bearing Preload
Definition: See pinion-bearing preload
Think of it as: How tightly the carrier-bearing cones are pressed into their cups and consequently how stiff they are to rotate. Also controls how tightly the carrier is held in the housing.
How Measured: Not possible to measure directly.
Adjusted Via: Adding or subtracting an equal amount of carrier-bearing shims to both sides of the carrier. Ideally, total carrier shim stack (sum of both sides) should be approx. 0.015” larger than the available space, and a case spreader should be used. However, a case spreader is not critical, and a good approximation of carrier-bearing preload can be made by ensuring the carrier can only be installed with a few good blows from a dead-blow hammer.
Note: If carrier preload is too little, carrier will move away from pinion under load (squirm or deflect), increasing backlash. This could lead to insufficient gear tooth contact, resulting in chipping/breaking of gear teeth.

So if I order a case spreader and this kit:

SHIM KIT - Diff and Pinion Bearing Shim Kit

• Fits DANA 70B and DANA 70HD
Shims various thickness

4.125 inch OD
3.650 inch ID

I should be able to install equal amounts both side for a tight fit. Am I on the right track?

I'm guessing someone rebuilt the diff and the kit came with the wrong diameter shims. It should have the smaller diameter shims that go between the carrier and bearings.

A lot of kits come with external shims because most people cant handle pulling bearings off repeatedly.

If they were tight then id say it was good on setup. Races will turn and spin eating the cast iron external shims or the casing. Prob rotated enough to push them out.

Top Back Refresh