What's new

Daily Driver JKU on Tons

pvkj454

Lab Rat
Member Number
Loc
Tennessee
It is a wrecked 09 JKU that I am building for daily driver duties and maybe haul it out west every now and then. I am swapping in a 05 F250 D60 front and a 14 bolt rear axle using Artec kits. I am using Currie links and EVO 3" springs. Stock engine for now but I bought a L96 LS to swap in the future.

IMG_20201126_153005101.jpg

Last edited:
The frame was bent fairly bad so I am replacing it.

bent frame.jpg

I cleaned the replacement frame and painted it satin black.

painted frame.jpg

I straightened the left apron and replaced the right one.

aprons repaired.jpg

Last edited:
I got the body back on the frame with the drivetrain in place.

IMG_20210124_164341680.jpg

IMG_20210124_164516806.jpg

I bought new Timken front bearing hubs and had them drilled to 8 on 6.5. I drilled the rotors using a template. I used new Spicer ball joints, u-joints and seals. A Reid passenger knuckle and Artec high steer arm. I installed new Spicer 4.10 gears in the front axle. Since it will see mostly highway use I left the open front diff for now but I may add an air locker later.

IMG_20210128_174624804.jpg

Last edited:
It is getting close to being finished. It is definitely no race car but I have driven worse. I have the castor at 4 degrees and it drives OK with a little wonder. I will try a steering stabilizer which will hopefully help. Has severe wind noise at the RH A-pillar to door that I need to repair.

LH Finished.jpg

RH Finished.jpg

Last edited:
It would be good to be able to see the pictures better. But with you linking them to WayALife, it's asking for a login to see them expanded. It's not really a good idea to link photos from another forum.

Links to Gay of Life? What the fuck is that shit.

If you plan to put a Gay of life banner on that, I vote you get banned from here. Eddie is a piece of shit and bad for this hobby.

Cool build. Following. If the picture links don't change............I'm out.

I didn't know it changed the photos to a different link and also don't know anything about Eddie. It was just easier to copy and paste parts including the photos on my phone. I have copied and pasted between other forums before and never heard of that happening. I will replace the photos when I get home from work and have access to my computer. Until then, I deleted the links.

Last edited:
Understood.

What did you do for wheel speed sensors? Assuming all the wiring is still stock.

Understood.

What did you do for wheel speed sensors? Assuming all the wiring is still stock.
Ram 2500 sensors in front (2010 I think). Original JK sensors in the rear with Artec mounting brackets and 60 tooth tone rings to match the Ford front hubs. I used Jscan and a GPS to calibrate the speedo for the tooth count and tire size change.

If I were going to take this in the rocks, I would have built it differently including long arms and coil overs. I was getting some rear bump steer even though it was only lifted 3". Metalcloak DB3 rear correction brackets brought the rear links back close to the original angles and eliminated most of the rear bump steer. I also added some AMP Research power steps which were a huge improvement for daily driver duties.

IMG_20210706_153354873.jpg

Where did it initially get hit? Did the frame buckle at the firewall?
Mostly right front impact. Buckled mostly at firewall but also all of the way to the bumper. Axle tube was bent. The body didn't have to be pulled or panels replaced but the outer rocker panel was dented.

IMG_20201203_102148626.jpg

Last edited:
I have put less than 1k miles on it so far. Only issues are rain water leaking inside and extremely loud squeaking Johnny Joints on my front track bar.

I ordered the base LS swap kit from RPM Extreme. There is a 10-12 week lead time. I picked up a 6L80E core and have been ordering parts for it. Going to install a Transgo kit, new GM torque converter and pump housing.

6L80 rebuild time. The torque converter had failed and wiped out the pump on the 2014 core that I traded for. I bought a new GM converter along with all of the pump parts. I plan on adding an extra clutch in the 5-6 pack using Sonnax parts. Still haven't decided between a Sonnax Zip Kit or Transgo for the valve body update parts. I will disable converter lockup in 1-4 and change the lockup slip to zero.

IMG_20211218_144732393.jpg

The old track bars came in handy to make pliers for the huge case snap ring.

IMG_20211218_125048202.jpg

Last edited:
I received the RPM Extreme kit and got the engine and transmission mounted. I started installing the engine harness and it appears to be high quality. Going to install a new Mopar fuel pump while the body is off.

IMG_20220305_170800779.jpg

Top Back Refresh