What's new

D60 knurled balljoints?

subybaja

E. Spengler
Member Number
Loc
Spenard Ak
I pulled my '95 D60 knuckle to send in for highsteer machining. It's got crap knurled BJs. I'd really like to replace them with Spicers when it goes back together.

EMF gives this spec:
EMFbjSize.png

And here's my knuckle:

TopBJhole.jpg

BottomBJhole.jpg

And the ugly splined bastards that came out.

TopSplinedBJ.jpg

BottomSplineBJ.jpg

They took some ugga-duggas to push out, and the holes measure right on spec.

Good to go with smooth Spicers, or am I stuck with PepBoys knurled garbage?

s-l1600.jpg

I also wouldn't be above some dimpling and sleeve retainer.

If you're not good to go just dimple the shit out of the spicers and/or run green loctite.

If you're not good to go just dimple the shit out of the spicers and/or run green loctite.

Arse what do you mean by dimpling?
I understand using bearing retaining compound to provide a touch more hold. I feel like OP is well within sped to run the non knurled joints

This ^

But for something that's relatively rugged like a ball joint I'd save 30min of my life and use a pneumatic hammer rather than a hammer and punch.

I've got carrier bearings doing just fine with dimples and green loctite. I used a spring centerpunch for consistency.

I thought those measurements looked good, I just wanted to double-check, since the internet seems to think it's all over once you go knurled.

Last edited:
I've done a ton of balljoints, I've only ever seen a few issues from those splined replacements and typically you know it's gonna be a issue right away. If you're worried shrink the hole a bit by heating it and letting it air cool but it should be fine.

Yeah, I'll do EMFs eventually. $50 a piece for Spicer is good enough for now, though.

The upper joints have "FoMoCo" stamped on the bottom. Huh.

Yeah, I'll do EMFs eventually. $50 a piece for Spicer is good enough for now, though.

The upper joints have "FoMoCo" stamped on the bottom. Huh.
that's the only reason I didn't go with the Spicer BJs. being able to grease them is a must IMO for a wheeler.

Not all polymer inserts are created equal. Spicer being far superior to Mevotech as an example.

Just because it had a grease fitting doesn’t mean it’s a good part either. It can still be polymer that will “accept” grease

I'd take a Spicer life part over greasable versions from many other vendors.
really?? never tried the Spicer BJs. ive been having ok luck with the TTX line of mevotech. moog is trash. my junk sees mud/water pretty often, and the old grease that squirts out of the boot when pumping new grease in always looks gross. I'm sure keeping them with fresh lube helps the lifespan

Top Back Refresh