What's new

d60 knuckle spindle stud repair?

total newb

senior jerk ass
Member Number
Loc
trinity center ca
So i ha pair of gm d60 knuckles that somehow lost the fit on the spindle studs. Someone tried welding the head of the studs to the knuckle but knuckles are cast so you know how that works out :rolleyes:..

Can i silver soldier or braze them and not affect the strength of the stud or knuckle?

Is the braze or sli soldier going to be strong enough to hold the torque theyll see?

20200709_103935.jpg

Tack two small spots 180* from each other on the inside of each hole? Might give the knurled portion of the stud something to grab onto.

There was also a thread on the old sight about someone running grade 8 bolts In place of the studs. There wasn't very much info just that he was running 42" Iroks and had not yet killed a bus full of nuns.

Is it possible to drill and tap them the next size up and use screw in studs or through bolts from the back? Spindle holes would need to be enlarged also, but would solve your problem permanently.

Last edited:
Dont know if you have thought of this: use modified wheel studs with correct knurl diameter to grip the ID of hole they pass thru.

There was also a thread on the old sight about someone running grade 8 bolts In place of the studs. There wasn't very much info just that he was running 42" Iroks and had not yet killed a bus full of nuns.

Seen a lot of pics on race-dezert and the like of setups like this. They tend to drill the spindle for twice as many bolts as it has in stock form.

For a vehicle not running a tire size that's pushing the limit of the axle or for one that is bust just for off road rock crawling I'd just buy some grade 10 nuts and bolts on McMaster and call it good.

Is it possible to drill and tap them the next size up and use screw in studs or through bolts from the back? Spindle holes would need to be enlarged also, but would solve your problem permanently.

The rule of thumb I've always used is no less than one diameter of thread engagement assuming equivalent material. Considering that it's just cast iron I'd be worried about the thread pulling out.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh