What's new

D50/60/70 Spindle Nuts

I would. They are way easier to put together then the double nut million hole locking ring deal. That you have to take apart 10 times to turn the inner nut a 1/16th of a turn to get the dumbass pin in the little lock ring hole. God I hate them things.

I'm missing both front D50 TTB lock nut sets. so that's why i'm asking if I should go for these of the 14 bolt style ones?

I'm missing both front D50 TTB lock nut sets. so that's why i'm asking if I should go for these of the 14 bolt style ones?
If you have a reason to be buying new spindle nuts I can't think of a reason not to go with the capitve ratching lock washer style

I would. They are way easier to put together then the double nut million hole locking ring deal. That you have to take apart 10 times to turn the inner nut a 1/16th of a turn to get the dumbass pin in the little lock ring hole. God I hate them things.
Do you have a girlfriend, wife or kids?

What I did notice on my D44 double nut pin washer style lock nuts is that if the hole doesn't line up on the pin flip the washer with holes over and it usually lines right up.

OK so i got some of the 14 bolt style nuts but I didn't have a tool so I made one out of some round stock scrap I had, some cutoff notched tube, and an old bump can that I had cut off a truck years ago. Works great and painted it gold like all my home made tools so I don't mistake it for something else and use it or throw it away, the old ass can of GOLD paint is almost gone, i've only had it for like 6 years now, I got it at OSH, Orchard Supply Hardware which is closed and no longer there even.

Tool 3.jpg
Tool 1 + 2.jpg
Tool 4.jpg
Tool 5.jpg

I grabbed some free 14bolt spindle nuts from the junkyard a few weeks back thanks to this thread. :beer:

That's what I was getting at. You paid the admission fee so your as golden as that tool. Banjo bolts and fuses also fall under this catagory.

I agree 100% on this. If I lived near a big city with a pick your part or the like I would have just went and grabbed some, but only have small yards by me and they had 2 of the 14 bolts and both already had the nuts taken off. Also I parted out lots of silverados and escalades so I have a ton of fuses from doing that as well, so I made sure to order a fuse panel that accepts the small ATM fuses to use them all up and the relay stuff to use the factory GM relays since I got a lot of them as well.

The single piece nut with captive washer and toothed lock washer that keys into the spindle (like you'd find on a 90s TTB or any Sterling rear) is equally good at saying where you put it and doesn't involve small parts to drop in the dirt. Spindle threads for the Sterling 10.25 match the overwhelming majority of D60/70/80/14B spindles.

because the 14b style is better and will never fail :flipoff2:

Is it though? Ive had Sterlings in the rear of two of my trucks for over 15 years, well over 150k miles, and never had a wheel bearing come loose, or had one of those fail and need replacement.

Is it though? Ive had Sterlings in the rear of two of my trucks for over 15 years, well over 150k miles, and never had a wheel bearing come loose, or had one of those fail and need replacement.
i wasnt implying that anything but a 14b style spindle nut is going to fail

i was implying that its the best based off my experience with many different types of spindle nuts over the past 25 years, its super easy to install/remove and can be reused almost indefinitely.

the real benefit of the 14b style nut is for axles that you are taking the spindle nut on and off more than once in your life, like on a front axle where youre replacing/upgrading parts on it over a period of time, or a rear axle that has drums behind the hub. if you dont need to or are never even touching the spindle nut like you then it doesnt really matter

but i guess you could interpret my shit giving post as meaning all spindle nuts besides the 14b are going to fail causing you to kill a bus load of nuns :laughing::homer::flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh